Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 hours ago, JF87 said:

I think you are wrong about Cupps.  I believe he can develop into a Brad Davison type in his Junior and Senior years. He was never supposed to be an impact player as a freshman. 

Not saying he will make the same jump, but Braden Smith struggled his freshman year 

37 minutes ago, ronzo4IU said:

It does seem like a really good way to not have to go out on the high school recruiting trail though.

It’s proving that Woodson is pure lazy, wants to take shortcuts so he spend more time on the golf course.  Doesn’t he realize that he needs players that have played for him at least 2 years so they can help the new kids learn whatever he is teaching a little faster.  But that definitely didn’t work this year though, just think how horrible it’s going to be next year

Not saying he will make the same jump, but Braden Smith struggled his freshman year 
Braden Smith has a he'll of a team around him. Imo what crean always preached is true. The better the players are the better your practices are and that helps develop players. Cupps can improve but probably not as easy .

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Braden Smith has a he'll of a team around him. Imo what crean always preached is true. The better the players are the better your practices are and that helps develop players. Cupps can improve but probably not as easy .

1 minute ago, IUFAN1976 said:

It’s proving that Woodson is pure lazy, wants to take shortcuts so he spend more time on the golf course.  Doesn’t he realize that he needs players that have played for him at least 2 years so they can help the new kids learn whatever he is teaching a little faster.  But that definitely didn’t work this year though, just think how horrible it’s going to be next year

Ahhh, I see where you went wrong. Mike Woodson doesn't teach...

I will be at the game tomorrow.  Me and my stepdad bought tickets back in November..lol.  our one game of the year.  I want woody fired, but will not be booing (probably).

Anyone heard of Galloway and Leal are going through senior night?  Specifically Gallo?  Woody seemed to not know earlier when I heard him ..lol

13 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Since when? Smith averaged 10/5/4 last year and shot 40% from 3 on the best team in the big 10. If that’s struggling, sign me up for some struggling guards. 

3 hours ago, go iu bb said:

I'm going to have to disagree. If we got a ball player who was from Mars that would be huge, world changing news. I would care.

Otis Sistrunk, D-lineman for the Raiders back in the day, was thought to be from the University of Mars, per one of the Monday Night Football guys 

11 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I knew I would probably get at least some blow back for my Cupps take which I did, but development was somewhat what I was getting at. With the amount of minutes he has gotten, he looks like he has regressed. Maybe it is being young, nervous who knows, but he has not looked to me to be getting better. MM has clearly improved throughout the season, same with Ware. More talented players than Cupps obviously, but I figured he might come along faster due to the X injury, and that does not seem to have happened to my eyes. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Since when? Smith averaged 10/5/4 last year and shot 40% from 3 on the best team in the big 10. If that’s struggling, sign me up for some struggling guards. 

Did you watch him down the stretch? Not nearly as effective on a much better team 

I know that many of you just want to win.  That's fine, I understand. Unfortunately for me, I'm still old school and how we go about it makes a difference to me.  Unlimited transfers and NIL are legal and they are the new NCAA reality.  IU should certainly participate in both transfers and NIL.  However, the thought that the IU coaching staff's plan each year is to bring in the best portal players that money can buy is disheartening. Purdue is successful with a collegiate program built utilizing NIL and an occasional transfer.  Our current staff seems determined to turn us into a G-League team.  Can't we start recruiting players that want to represent Indiana University and not just collect a paycheck? I would prefer we develop a basketball program and not just a minor league team each year. 

13 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Did you watch him down the stretch? Not nearly as effective on a much better team 

He played poorly in his last two games. He had 14/5/5 on 100/100/100 shooting in the BTT semifinals. If Cupps had played this year like Smith played last year, (a) we would’ve had a much better season and (b) we’d all be much more excited about a sophomore Cupps. Cupps is averaging 2.4 ppg on 44% TS in Big 10 play. That’s… not good. 

9 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Can't we start recruiting players that want to represent Indiana University and not just collect a paycheck? I would prefer we develop a basketball program and not just a minor league team each year. 

Recruiting.  Recruiting.  We don't need no stinkin' recruiting.  I've got the Cook and Simon family's no limit AMEX cards.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

No, there are tons of examples guys. A lot considering this is a new thing that keeps changing and small sample size.

Last year, KSU had 12 of them. UConn’s was loaded with transfers. SD St 4 of 5 top scorers were transfers. Texas and Xavier was 4/5 main starters. Maimi 3/5.  

Irony is majorly of teams who live at top 15 level, are made up of transfers. 

Here is example at Texas Tech when they brought in 9 and when to sweet 16. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/texas-tech-transfer-portal-sweet-16/itde2lojxnpfebsjtcuaxny7

For god sake. How many of these teams employ a 2 post offense?!!!?? I’ll answer. None. So let’s dispense with historical accuracy. Two post offenses don’t work and they won’t work. We could’ve had the best shooting 5-star come in. He didn’t. Why?? Because of our offense. He was going to make $700K. Please don’t tell me we will “get it right” this time around with new assistants but the same coach who……doesn’t listen to his assistants. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

He played poorly in his last two games. He had 14/5/5 on 100/100/100 shooting in the BTT semifinals. If Cupps had played this year like Smith played last year, (a) we would’ve had a much better season and (b) we’d all be much more excited about a sophomore Cupps. 

Understood. Smith played with much better talent.

I don’t think Cupps will be as good as Smith. My point was that if he took a sophomore jump like Smith has, Gabe could be a valuable asset