Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

3 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Nope... winning is important, but so is doing it the right way.

Remember all the criticism Bob Knight got for demanding that his players play the game but also respect the school, respect themselves and behave properly (Yeah, there were many cases where that didn't actually happen), yet he acted pretty boorishly quite often?

It's the same thing here... Woodson is simply taking whatever shortcuts he can to try to get the wins and (at least in his mind) the accolades that he deserves for "saving" the program... what message does that really send to the players on his team? To me, it says "take the shortcuts, you don't have to develop anything as long as you get the result"... then, when their basketball lives are over, what do they have to fall back on?

Woodson has shown me that he is full of himself, and has no intention of actually doing the work... he can talk the talk for a while, but that soon runs thin and rings hollow. All Woodson's coaching stint has done for me in tarnish his reputation.

We need an actual coach who knows what he's doing to build a program. And we needed it THREE years ago. 

Yep, great way to lay it out. I liked the point about him wanting to just shortcut getting the wins/accolades of saving the program. 100% agree. 

Regardless, I think we achieved something here. We didn't get what we wanted but you have to admit the fan pressure has rejuvenated Woodson and the team a bit. He is showing more emotion on the sideline and the players seem to be playing harder. If it truly led to the ultra rich boosters pledging more money to the NIL? That's a win. Maybe Scott's player only meeting was to make them aware of that, hence Chris' comments about the discussion involved other schools reaching out to them. If he can retain the "good" nucleus of this team and actually go get some high level guards, I think most would have a hard time saying they are not excited next year. 

Good news? This theory will get put to test very soon. 

12 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Mos teams don't use it as their main recruiting tool while ignoring hs recruits. We are no different than kentucky at this point

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

What? We're not Kentucky. They have success.

1 minute ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Regardless, I think we achieved something here. We didn't get what we wanted but you have to admit the fan pressure has rejuvenated Woodson and the team a bit. He is showing more emotion on the sideline and the players seem to be playing harder. If it truly led to the ultra rich boosters pledging more money to the NIL? That's a win. Maybe Scott's player only meeting was to make them aware of that, hence Chris' comments about the discussion involved other schools reaching out to them. If he can retain the "good" nucleus of this team and actually go get some high level guards, I think most would have a hard time saying they are not excited next year. 

So, we didn't get Woodson fired via the "Fire Woodson" thread... and we're at 575 pages right now (since Feb 3)... exactly where will this thread be when we actually manage to rid ourself of this crap?

24 minutes ago, ib4iu said:

It obviously can for the type Woodson wants to recruit. He’s building the G-League Hoosiers. Why go play for G-League Ignite, c’mon down to the Hoosiers. I guess I’m thinking more about how I think many would love a roster to be constructed with 8-9 players being 4 year guys for continuity and 3-4 players that are your 1 and dones and portal players. Thats how you build a culture. There will be no culture with IU basketball with Woodson as coach. 

It's also what you do when you have neither the energy, desire, or ability to develop young talent.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

let's just hope (bit of a stretch here) that we look back in 10 years and say "wow, Woody really knew what he was doing, he changed the game! everyone's doing it the Woody way now!"

sorry, i dozed off a bit...did i type while i was dreaming?

Yep, just wait until he gets his 4 in 1 out offense in place. And still no rebounding.

17 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

With everything Woody has done up to this point and how he’s acted, if he happens to be really successful next year, i feel like it’s just gonna be tarnished in a way. Great job Woody, your cigar buddies gave you a bunch of money to get NBA worthy players to win you games, not because you’re actually a good coach at Indiana University. I’m curious to know if most people would be like oh well at least we’re winning, or no, that’s pathetic, we need an actual coach who knows what he’s doing to build a program. I guess I could see mixed feelings there.

i just think it’s crazy that they’re trying to pull any string they can just to try to save a bad college basketball coach. 

I'm comfortable saying the VAST majority will take the wins and not worry too much about the style or method. 

15 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Mos teams don't use it as their main recruiting tool while ignoring hs recruits. We are no different than kentucky at this point

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Yes we are. They win more.

52 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He does it again.

DC over on HSN posted that he heard that there is a possibility that MW retires after next year's season. He mentioned that QB's term is up as Trustee Chair and they may plan to go out together..... I don't know, but I'm totally ok with that.

35 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I didn't feel like typing this last night, but I don't have a busy day today and figure I'd share an encounter I had a few weeks ago with someone who I feel is qualified to say what they had to say.

So a few weeks ago I ran into Mike Berghoff at a Pacers game. For those who don't know, Mike is head of the Board of Trustees at Purdue. Mike and I go way back. Lived in the same neighborhood for many years and attended the same parish/school where some of our kids ran in the same circles. Hadn't seen him in awhile but small talk quickly turned into a conversation about IU/PU and the direction of both programs. After about 30 seconds of rambling on about Woodson he politely cut me off and said this:

"The problem isn't Woodson, look at your leadership. Look at who has been running your athletic department the last 10-15 years. Fred Glass? He's a lawyer. Scott Dolson? He's a fundraising guy. Who qualifications do either of those guys have in evaluating and conducting a coaching search?"

Of course I couldn't disagree with him and he went even further. Went on tell me that after being appointed chairman, his first big athletic task was naming a successor to Morgan Burke who had just announced his retirement. He said he along with the rest of the board, Mitch Daniels, and a small advisory group consisting of former Purdue athletes identified 5-6 candidates. He said the one qualification each candidate must possess was prior experience as an AD (shocking). Said Mike Bobinski was easily the most impressive interview despite not being the most qualified candidate and that was with Mike Bobinski already holding the title of AD at two other universities. He said only one time in nearly 10 years has Mike Bobinski come to him for permission to do something and that was firing Darrell Hazell mid-season. He simply said, "can't believe you didn't ask me sooner". He went on to tell me that during the search for Hazzell's replacement he gave 2 order to Bobinski:

1) This is your budget

2) Use your head

He wanted no part of stepping on Bobinski's toes because at the end of the day that was why they hired Bobinski in the first place. 

Just thought it was interesting to hear a perspective from a rival school from someone so close to the situation. Just goes to show how dysfunctional the leadership at Indiana has gotten. 

I've said for years that IU runs its athletic department as a charity while other schools run theirs as a business.  I'd say that's pretty accurate.

To be honest, I wouldn't trust any of these people to run a lemonade stand.

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm going to predict Reneau, Mgbako, Galloway, Newton, and Sparks back. Mcneely coming in as a freshman. Then going to need at least 2 big-time portal guards and of course, we're going to need a rim protector. 

Then we'll see who else we fill the roster with. I'm up in the air on Cupps he could go either way

You know he'll get a rim protector to replace Ware and a big to replace Walker. He's convinced the game is played inside out still, the program will sink with him trying it.

Just now, Artie86 said:

DC over on HSN posted that he heard that there is a possibility that MW retires after next year's season. He mentioned that QB's term is up as Trustee Chair and they may plan to go out together..... I don't know, but I'm totally ok with that.

It's possible. A lot is riding on next season. I don't expect QB wanting to be on the board any longer after next year

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm going to predict Reneau, Mgbako, Galloway, Newton, and Sparks back. Mcneely coming in as a freshman. Then going to need at least 2 big-time portal guards and of course, we're going to need a rim protector. 

Then we'll see who else we fill the roster with. I'm up in the air on Cupps he could go either way

Would love if that rim protector is a stretch 5 on offense. Anyone see any possible portal players that would fit that?

5 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

I believe this is referred to putting lipstick on a pig.  Beating three bad teams does not cover up the flaws in the program and coaching.  Please take your triple rainbows to another thread. 

6 minutes ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Not sure about that personally, but, a moral victory (something all too familiar for us IU fans)... will help me cope for now. 

I want to be more positive but I have very little reason for optimism right now. I will feel better if we get some big fish in the portal, early in portal season. Two starting caliber guards shortly after portal szn begins would boost morale a lot, for me anyway. 

Let's see how this works out...

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

You know he'll get a rim protector to replace Ware and a big to replace Walker. He's convinced the game is played inside out still, the program will sink with him trying it.

He can't live without one

28 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

That may be true, but this is what college sport has become.  It's not Woodsons fault that NIL and transfer portal exist.  If he embraces it differently than traditionalists believe he should, that's not his fault either.  If he doesn't win....that's his fault. 

I don’t disagree with this. But you comparing it to the NBA where multi year contracts are signed and college basketball is 1 year options. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier2014 said:

Would love if that rim protector is a stretch 5 on offense. Anyone see any possible portal players that would fit that?

Just imagine if we used the full extent of Ware's skillset this year. 

That's one of the things about this year that most upsets me. He should be putting on a show in the tournament.