Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, JF87 said:

I would be shocked if it would be announced as Woodson being fired.  I would think it would be announced as a retirement (where Woodson gets all of his money) or that for health reasons coach Woodson would be moving into some other non-coaching role.  If Woodson is willing to one of those scenarios, I would think it could be announced prior to the end of the season.  

“CMW has decided CMW is being put out to pasture. I mean ****, we gotta find that hump out there somewhere.”

22 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

I think the ceiling of the IU program is considerably higher than that of Auburn's. So IU would increase his odds of winning a national championship IMO. The only mitigating factor is if he really does intend to retire after 5 or 6 years, and feels it would take 2 to 3 years to build IU up to where Auburn is presently.

Otherwise, IU is clearly the better job by a considerable measure for a variety of reasons (fan support, recruiting base, media attention, shoe company, etc.). 

this is what im saying 

11 minutes ago, hper50 said:

I just meant he'd come because he's always coveted this job and wants to restore a starving program to glory.

That would be cool if that were the case. Maybe it’s just my nature but I remain skeptical of those narratives. Usually, but maybe not always, it seems like a story fans tell themselves.   

I’ve heard this about IU and Stevens. People used to say it about Matta and IU. Neither came. ND football fans used to amuse themselves with the possibility of Gruden or Urban Meyer returning to their roots, taking their “dream job,”  and restoring ND football to glory. In the end, it was a stone cold opportunist—who happened to be a fine football coach—in Brian Kelly who got them back (or almost) to a winning program. 

It’s usually not how guys in the profession actually treat their careers. I’d argue most people don’t treat their careers like that in any profession. Most people prioritize finances, professional advancement, security, etc…over sentimentality.  

I’ll happily eat crow, if I’m wrong though. Pearl would not be my first choice, but he’d certainly be a big step up from where we’ve been the last two decades. 

9 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Because he wasn't IU Pristine Clean.

I don’t think pristine was the issue. The thing with Pearl is that either: 1) He’s exceptionally grubby because he’s been busted absolutely everywhere, or 2) He’s exceptionally bad at being grubby because he’s been busted absolutely everywhere. After the Tennessee deal it was 3 years before anyone would touch him.

50 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

You mean cause he hasn't given Woodson the dreaded vote of confidence yet.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Yes, the dreaded vote of confidence. He hasn't even bothered with that. Now, he could just as well be thinking that it won't matter what I say, it will just be taken as the "dreaded vote of confidence" so I'm not going to say anything at all. I also recall him staying pretty silent during Archie's last year.

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

That would be cool if that were the case. Maybe it’s just my nature but I remain skeptical of those narratives. Usually, but maybe not always, it seems like a story fans tell themselves.   

I’ve heard this about IU and Stevens. People used to say it about Matta and IU. Neither came. ND football fans used to amuse themselves with the possibility of Gruden or Urban Meyer returning to their roots, taking their “dream job,”  and restoring ND football to glory. In the end, it was a stone cold opportunist—who happened to be a fine football coach—in Brian Kelly who got them back (or almost) to a winning program. 

It’s usually not how guys in the profession actually treat their careers. I’d argue most people don’t treat their careers like that in any profession. Most people prioritize finances, professional advancement, security, etc…over sentimentality.  

I’ll happily eat crow, if I’m wrong though. Pearl would not be my first choice, but he’d certainly be a big step up from where we’ve been the last two decades. 

Totally get it. I'm not saying I expect him to come. I, too, am very skeptical. I'm just saying if he were to come, I think that'd be the reason moreso than upgrading

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yes I would agree with that. Sometimes you will take the same amount if not slightly more to try for a national championship. 

Stevens I assume took less to move upstairs with the Celtics that return to college.  Assume that still making a ton of money without the grind was worth it to him.

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

Stevens I assume took less to move upstairs with the Celtics that return to college.  Assume that still making a ton of money without the grind was worth it to him.

We see it all the time in the NBA with older players who will take less money to try to win, than more money on a crappy team. 

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Why do people act like this is a forgone conclusion. I find it strange that no actual college basketball media is hearing and reporting on this if this is true. How is it that only Trilly is hearing this and nobody else 

We're trying to will it into reality.  

1 hour ago, Scotty R said:

Why do people act like this is a forgone conclusion. I find it strange that no actual college basketball media is hearing and reporting on this if this is true. How is it that only Trilly is hearing this and nobody else 

Media can’t at this point. They’re scared to share too much but some have dropped hints. Rabby has dropped plenty of Pearl hints. There’s more to it than Trilly and even if he was the only one that account has more legit sources than anyone.

14 hours ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Speaking of serial killer, I was helping my daughter with a school project a bit ago and she had me cut out magazine letters for words to put in her display board..I told her, "you know this is like a serial killer thing right sweetie?"

More of a kidnapper's note thing LOL 

36 minutes ago, Demo said:

I don’t think pristine was the issue. The thing with Pearl is that either: 1) He’s exceptionally grubby because he’s been busted absolutely everywhere, or 2) He’s exceptionally bad at being grubby because he’s been busted absolutely everywhere. After the Tennessee deal it was 3 years before anyone would touch him.

Pearl had a 3 year show cause i believe which limited him from college coaching.