Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

6 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

No, does it change for you if he loses first round or maybe even misses it? 

You believe in him and want him bad. Very clear. It is also okay to acknowledge there is risk and that is a bad move to make with this program right now. 

Yes that would change for me if he misses the tourney. I would probably say wait till next year when Woody is fired. No in all seriousness I would like to see him make the Sweet 16 again then I would be solid in my believe in him. 

24 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

And I have no problem with that and I feel most agree with your original statement. Other than Stuhoo & myself there are not a lot of people on here who would take Dusty as their first choice and I think that is OK. 

Probably true, but if something does happen with Woody I would bet on May over the field. If there’s 1 thing ‘21 made clear it was that the decision makers placed massive value on history. You don’t get to Woodson any other way. Now in 2024 you have a young successful college guy with not just IU ties but Knight ties who has a chance to solve your problem for 20 years? Ain’t no way it’s not him unless he flat doesn’t want it. If May was who he is now in ‘21, it would have been him then. 

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

At this point I tend to agree. Still don't think it happens but would be on board (no pun intended) if it does.

Yeah if I had to put money on it I'd bet Woody is back. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. 

But it will be very hard to get excited for next year without that change.

Even if we get a good/great haul in the portal (big assumption) who knows if the pieces will fit together well (this season doesn't exactly inspire confidence). Best case scenario, the ceiling is probably a R32 blowout. The floor is atrocious and borderline unwatchable.

Too many headwinds working against Woody/him in this job for another year to make any sense.

Ideally bring in an instant winning coach a la Pearl. But even if we go with May, who is a "risk" as in not a guaranteed success... I'd rather him get a start on building something here than waste another year so Woody can have a retirement tour. 

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Probably true, but if something does happen with Woody I would bet on May over the field. If there’s 1 thing ‘21 made clear it was that the decision makers placed massive value on history. You don’t get to Woodson any other way. Now in 2024 you have a young successful college guy with not just IU ties but Knight ties who has a chance to solve your problem for 20 years? Ain’t no way it’s not him unless he flat doesn’t want it. If May was who he is now in ‘21, it would have been him then. 

My question about May is: do we have to hire him now? Even if he goes to an OSU and we hire Pearl, wouldn’t he still accept the IU job should he be offered again in 4-10 years? I don’t necessarily see the rush in hiring him as Woodson’s replacement when he’s young enough to be Woodson’s replacement’s replacement. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yes that would change for me if he misses the tourney. I would probably say wait till next year when Woody is fired. No in all seriousness I would like to see him make the Sweet 16 again then I would be solid in my believe in him. 

For me, I trust Dolson's evaluation of whether or not the leap to the B1G would be too big for him. Interested to hear about Dusty's vision, NIL strategy, HS vs. portal recruiting, how he'd engage the fanbase, offensive/defensive approach, potential staff hires and why etc.

While a deep run in the tourney would be nice and an early exit would sting, I don't want to place too much value on a couple weeks (or a couple days) of FAU basketball

1 minute ago, Home Jersey said:

Yeah if I had to put money on it I'd bet Woody is back. I'm trying not to get my hopes up. 

But it will be very hard to get excited for next year without that change.

Even if we get a good/great haul in the portal (big assumption) who knows if the pieces will fit together well (this season doesn't exactly inspire confidence). Best case scenario, the ceiling is probably a R32 blowout. The floor is atrocious and borderline unwatchable.

Too many headwinds working against Woody/him in this job for another year to make any sense.

Ideally bring in an instant winning coach a la Pearl. But even if we go with May, who is a "risk" as in not a guaranteed success... I'd rather him get a start on building something here than waste another year so Woody can have a retirement tour. 

Yeah I saw last night before the game he is 11-33 against tournament teams in 3 years. Now 12-33 but still not great. Averages a 20 pt loss in the tournament. So best case next year a R32 blowout like you said

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

"wait till next year when Woody is fired"

So he isn't getting let go/fired this year, that's just great. BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!

22 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

Did I really read correctly on here that Woody had to be told to go to high school tournaments and such?  

What in the world?  More reasons why he is clearly not in the right spot.  Great player.  Solid NBA assistant.  Good guy.  But not a college basketball head coach.  

Chris, I am not nearly as active on here as many, but I always appreciate your posts and information.  Keep up the good work and ignore any haters. 

Yes he did. He went and visited Mullins and Sisley last month for the first time all season while other head coaches were routinely making the trip. When it was reported, rabby didn't explicitly say that it was because Woody was told to go see them, but it was pretty clear that was the case if you read between the lines.

10 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If 2025 recruiting is dead as it sounds there is no forward momentum. He will have to build teams every year in the portal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

This is a really good point.

14 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I didn’t say he was a good leader. Or that he didn’t have flaws. But the team sees him as a leader and there is comfort in that. Having your guy on the floor next to you matters in how everyone of them plays.  It helps their confidence when things get tough. 

Nobody is in the mood for stories but I can think of an exact example I personally lived to this in another sport with a child playing D1. A team that was undefeated and then lost 5 straight after a captain went down and first round bounce in tourney. That captain wasnt even someone they team overly respected. They didn’t say a lot, wasn’t filling up stat sheets, etc.  But they were a young team and that person was a senior. They looked lost every game without them. 

Again, multiple things can be true at once.

A team that goes to crap after their "leader" goes down is a soft team.  The great teams rally around their leader going down.  The old "Win one for the Gipper."  

16 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If 2025 recruiting is dead as it sounds there is no forward momentum. He will have to build teams every year in the portal.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Bold strategy Cotton.  

Back to the "locked up" idea.  Let's say SD gets approvals needed to go after Pearl.  What can he do to "lock him up"?  Pearl cannot sign anything before his season is done and we have an official opening right?  So would it just be a verbal commitment?  If so, based on what happened with BS, then I wonder how to resolve the idea that we need to lock up the big fish guy (like Pearl) given we kind of got burned on this path last time.  

36 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

If you don't think I have been fully checked out by people on this board, by people at this university than I don't know what to tell you. Many members on this board know exactly what I do and where I work. I have even had a poster from this site come to my office. 

But I have never gotten any info from anything I do with my job at IU. 

You have some grudge or something against me or people here. We don't dislike you, I kind of like you for how you stand up for you feel is right. I like your loyalty to Coach. Just chill a little. 

I don't know what is going to happen, I pass along what I hear. I've been wrong many times and each time I am it gets pointed out by Hornsby, Josh or Hoosier2017 or someone like that LOL. 

Wait how do I get mentioned here??