Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

53 minutes ago, Demo said:
I’m sure this is just leveraging UConn for a massive extension, but which would provoke a bigger mushroom cloud around here, Dusty May or Danny Hurley?

Dan the Man will have another 3-4 years extension and a nice pay bump before the tournament. That's a good agent.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, LIHoosier said:

Dan the Man will have another 3-4 years extension and a nice pay bump before the tournament. That's a good agent.

Quite sure that's all this is... His wife has made it known that she does not want to be far from her family in Jersey/likes to put down roots. Dan said he had a hard time convincing her to leave URI. Dan likes having Bob Sr. at his games. UConn and the Hurleys fit like a glove. He will get a nice raise, but we have nothing to worry about IMO 

5 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Imagine you're right, but Bjork was the guy who gave Jimbo Fisher THAT contract extension with THAT buyout. He may make him an offer he can't refuse.

13 minutes ago, el drado said:

If Ohio State pulls that off and we have Woodson on the sidelines next year.  Not a joke, i am done with IU bball. 

I guess you will be done.  Despite how most of us feel, Woodson will be back next year.

I was so bummed last season when I took my family to the northwestern game. The pregame shoot around was lazy and the team didn't look serious. We were laughing and practicing half courters while northwestern looked serious and did a actual warm up. The game started and the effort was disgusting. Credit gallo did hit a half court shot so we only lost by 1. I think the game after we got destroyed at Penn st. Someone on here started a fire mike woodson thread. It should have never been taken down imo. We bounced back to win some games and that at purdue game was awesome. The team we had and the entire body of work was pathetic imo. I feel that team underperformed because of crap coaching. I would have loved to have seen a competent coach have those kids. Our kids get worse in alot of cases and that isn't a good trend imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Quite sure that's all this is... His wife has made it known that she does not want to be far from her family in Jersey/likes to put down roots. Dan said he had a hard time convincing her to leave URI. Dan likes having Bob Sr. at his games. UConn and the Hurleys fit like a glove. He will get a nice raise, but we have nothing to worry about IMO 

I imagine/hope you’re right, but a market-resetting deal, which I’m sure it would be, would require a hard think before turning down.

1 hour ago, ISP said:

Woody saying that no one expected JHS to be a one and done...

Meanwhile, here's an article from before the season where TJD and plenty of others said that he will likely be a one and done given his talent. 

Screenshot 2024-02-20 at 2.40.21 PM.png

Don't worry, Woodson worked in the NBA so he knows NBA talent when he sees it. Mike Woodson didn't see it in JHS so Mike Woodson thought he would get one more year!

44 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Mike Woodson is shameless when it comes to excuse making. The idea that he was caught off guard by JHS going pro is so utterly ridiculous. 

He is.  He’s going to use every excuse in the book for having a bad year.  From injuries to X and Newton, because they were planned big pieces of the puzzle, guys not knocking down open shots and free throws to having the youngest team in the B10, yes I heard that one today.  We will hear more.  Even if he was so called blind sided by JHS leaving, that still doesn’t answer the excuse that he didn’t land a guard out of the portal, which could have filled the JHS void, and leaving an open scholarship, which was inexcusable 

2 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I was so bummed last season when I took my family to the northwestern game. The pregame shoot around was lazy and the team didn't look serious. We were laughing and practicing half courters while northwestern looked serious and did a actual warm up. The game started and the effort was disgusting. Credit gallo did hit a half court shot so we only lost by 1. I think the game after we got destroyed at Penn st. Someone on here started a fire mike woodson thread. It should have never been taken down imo. We bounced back to win some games and that at purdue game was awesome. The team we had and the entire body of work was pathetic imo. I feel that team underperformed because of crap coaching. I would have loved to have seen a competent coach have those kids. Our kids get worse in alot of cases and that isn't a good trend imo

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Yes, that’s bad coaching and a lack of discipline if your guys aren’t focused and serious during warmups 

I don't think most people expected JHS to leave, but the writing was on the wall after we went on that little midseason run. He also didn't expect to have X back this year, though. And with all that its never been more easy to plug holes via the portal and he still missed out. 

I'm just sad that we have to cobble together a team again. If it doesn't work out, we will be completely rebuilding the team in the offseason for the 3rd year in a row and more than likely we will be watching Sisley and Mullins go play for in-state rivals. 

1 hour ago, mamasa said:

My favorite part of this is at the beginning where Tom says, "I find it harder and harder to work 100-hour weeks and 360-day years. I'm starting to plan for that finish line, somewhere down the road, and I often wonder if Woodson does the same kind of planning and thinking."

I doubt Woody is putting in 100-hour weeks, and we know he isn't putting in 360-day years based on the number of pictures we see of him on the golf course.

1 hour ago, TTT said:

I wonder if coach K at Duke in 1981 and 1982 got this much negative feedback among fans and those involved???  (no internet back then)

I’m sure he did. It’s part of the job. I remember an interview with Dean Smith where he said after a particularly bad season (or maybe game) he was walking back across campus and saw himself hung in effigy from a campus tree.  

If you were going to make a old Woody vs young coach K comparison, I’ll hang up and listen…

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

More like a 33% raise. It also extended his 100% buyout by a year. 

Additionally, Woodson received additional buyout protections. Under the terms of his original deal, Woodson would have been owed 100% of remaining guaranteed compensation before April 1, 2025, and 50% thereafter. Last year’s renegotiation pushed the 100% promise to April 1, 2026, than 50% for the remaining year of the deal. For reference, on April 1 of this year, his buyout would stand at roughly $12.6 million.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2024/02/20/indiana-basketball-mike-woodson-says-not-walking-away-from-job-buyout-details-contract-iu-hoosiers/72671079007/

Anyone who has anything to do with that extension—up to and including the janitor that swept up the little paper circles from the 3-hole punch—should be automatically disqualified from having any part in the next coaching search.  

6 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Anyone who has anything to do with that extension—up to and including the janitor that swept up the little paper circles from the 3-hole punch—should be automatically disqualified from having any part in the next coaching search.  

I throw up a little in my mouth every time I read/hear how Woodson is bringing us back. He's a hack, a has-been (never-was?) as a coach, and had/has no business on the Hoosier sideline... he's delusional, and for anyone who believes that (a) he's the answer, or (b) he can turn this around is likewise delusional.

5 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I’ve seen people say we need to keep Woodson because we can’t keeping going through a cycle of hiring and firing coaches every 3-4 years. I get that…but get rid of this one, and THEN we can stop doing that ha 

This is typical regurgitated social media drivel. If you read the same comment from 5 different people, you start to subconsciously believe it and will find yourself saying it. Groupthink is incredibly strong with our fanbase. 

Find the right coach=problem solved. 

15 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Now now , the Janitor is probably the one who leaked that shameful contract.    

25 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

This is typical regurgitated social media drivel. If you read the same comment from 5 different people, you start to subconsciously believe it and will find yourself saying it. Groupthink is incredibly strong with our fanbase. 

Find the right coach=problem solved. 

Kinda like posters in this thread thinking Woodson would be let go after the season