Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

EVERY SINGLE YEAR there are great choices and terrible choices available for a Power 5 coaching opening.

In order,

The RIGHT way to do this is:

1. When the time comes
  2. A great evaluation process
  3. That identifies a particular coach 

NOT

1. Identifying a particular coach
  2. At the time that coach is available
  3. Through an evaluation process

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'll be honest I'm slightly bummed. I think we're going to miss out on certain coaches, and recruits and it's going to set us back at least 10 years. Hopefully, 2-6 gets a conversation. This might be the first time I actually sit down and send an email to Scott. 

Watch us miss on Sisley and Mullins because the administration didn't want to admit they screwed up.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Watch us miss on Sisley and Mullins because the administration didn't want to admit they screwed up.

I definitely think Sisley to Purdue and Mullins to ND. When May could have had them in 5 minutes. Both families want to come to IU but they don't enjoy watching Woodson style of basketball like most of us. 

20 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Agree.  We should change the title of this thread to Fire Coach Woodson 2024 and then we can start a new one titled Fire Coach Woodson 2025.   As it stands today we should all resign ourselves to the fact Woody is on the sidelines next season and a year from now we'll have a whole new list of candidates to critique.  However IMO if we should only go 2-6 and the 6 are blowouts, that might be the straw that broke the  proverbial camel's back.  

From your lips to Buckner's ears...

EVERY SINGLE YEAR there are great choices and terrible choices available for a Power 5 coaching opening.
In order,
The RIGHT way to do this is:
  1. When the time comes
  2. A great evaluation process
  3. That identifies a particular coach 
NOT
  1. Identifying a particular coach
  2. At the time that coach is available
  3. Through an evaluation process

What if a coach gets a double check+?

Do you still need to wait?

Sent from my Fisher-Price Flip Phone

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I definitely think Sisley to Purdue and Mullins to ND. When May could have had them in 5 minutes. Both families want to come to IU but they don't enjoy watching Woodson style of basketball like most of us. 

And this is the hard part... heck, even Painter wanted to come to IU... but when the administration is stuck in the mire, there is collateral damage... imagine if Painter had come, played and then stayed to coach...

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2023/9/20/23881070/what-if-matt-painter-had-gone-to-indiana

Until the administration gets it's collective heads out of it's arse, we're stuck with this bullshite... and there will be more... so, yeah, keep Woodson and see how much farther down the rabbit hole this program goes.

Just now, Chris007 said:

You have the Haralson kid out there too.  We have a habit of hanging on to guys too long and having that be a boon for our rivals.  Keeping Davis around too long lost us Oden and Conley and almost cost Eric Gordon as well.  The Sampson mess had us miss out on Tyler Zeller and several of the guys who became "baby Boilers".

Woodson is going to have to hit at least 3 Grand Slams in the portal this spring to have a chance to be here for year 5 IMO and he won't have any luxury of a slow start.  Things get "toxic" around the program because we always extend things a year (or more) past their expiration date.  After being force fed cottage cheese spoiled milk several times, you become less interested in hearing that you can still sniff the milk after the expiration date and it may be OK.  That is of course possible but when they force feed it to you again they better be darn sure they are right because after a certain point the pitchforks are out.

29 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We've discussed this many times there is no comparison to Archie other than being short & blonde. Archie coached at Dayton which has been a great program that a lot of coaches have been through. Dusty started at FAU where they had never had a winning season in 15 years of D1 basketball. He's had a winning season in every season leading them to the final four. 

Every starter could have entered the portal to get money from NIL which FAU doesn't have much of. But he kept all the starters, joined a tougher conference, and has been ranked in the top 25 all season. They are set to make another deep run. He was a manager under Knight, studied Stevens, and coached under Davis and Mike White. He studies basketball 24/7. He grew up in Bloomington, he knows what this means.

So if you are going to call him the flavor of the month, at least be correct and say the flavor of the last 24 months. He turned down big offers last year and he's going to other big offers this year. 

I think the phrase “flavor of the month” is the flavor of the month.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You have the Haralson kid out there too.  We have a habit of hanging on to guys too long and having that be a boon for our rivals.  Keeping Davis around too long lost us Oden and Conley and almost cost Eric Gordon as well.  The Sampson mess had us miss out on Tyler Zeller and several of the guys who became "baby Boilers".

Woodson is going to have to hit at least 3 Grand Slams in the portal this spring to have a chance to be here for year 5 IMO and he won't have any luxury of a slow start.  Things get "toxic" around the program because we always extend things a year (or more) past their expiration date.  After being force fed cottage cheese spoiled milk several times, you become less interested in hearing that you can still sniff the milk after the expiration date and it may be OK.  That is of course possible but when they force feed it to you again they better be darn sure they are right because after a certain point the pitchforks are out.

Haralson to Duke IMO.

He needs a home run PG, a home run SG, McNeely at the 3, Mgbako at the 4, Renau at the 5, Trey to come off the bench, Queen to come off the bench to fill in for the big guys, maybe Cupps or Newton if healthy. That is a lineup people can get behind and play a little more modern basketball.

7 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I'm just impressed how this thread is basically being constantly posted on every 15 mins or less (except for like 2am-7am EST) - to the tune of 84+ pages in less than 2 weeks - on literally zero actual "news" lol

Where I come from, that's called a "grass roots movement".

Just now, AZ Hoosier said:

Where I come from, that's called a "grass roots movement".

I hear that... flip side is, it's also kinda the same handful of dudes making the same points repetitively in a vacuum trying to convince people to see things the same exact way they do :120:That's just message boards though! 

This could potentially be the most painful offseason for IUBB I've ever gone through in my 38 years. 

If we have to watch Purdue go to a Final 4 or God forbid hoist a banner, then spend the ensuing months consoling ourselves by hoping that Woodson is going to suddenly "change things around" for next year all while watching Sisley/Mullins/Haralson go elsewhere then I may sink to lows I never thought possible in regards to our program.

Throw in the likelihood that May and Schertz will likely be scooped up by other programs in a few months too, and it could get awfully depressing here in a month or two.

22 minutes ago, Capt. Crimson said:

1) What if a coach gets a double check+?

2) Do you still need to wait?

Sent from my Fisher-Price Flip Phone

1) Doesn't matter. Every year there will be mid-major coaches that get a double check+.

2) Yes; until after our last game of this season, or a sooner if Woody has already told Dolson that he will be done after  this season.

54 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

We've discussed this many times there is no comparison to Archie other than being short & blonde. Archie coached at Dayton which has been a great program that a lot of coaches have been through. Dusty started at FAU where they had never had a winning season in 15 years of D1 basketball. He's had a winning season in every season leading them to the final four. 

Every starter could have entered the portal to get money from NIL which FAU doesn't have much of. But he kept all the starters, joined a tougher conference, and has been ranked in the top 25 all season. They are set to make another deep run. He was a manager under Knight, studied Stevens, and coached under Davis and Mike White. He studies basketball 24/7. He grew up in Bloomington, he knows what this means.

So if you are going to call him the flavor of the month, at least be correct and say the flavor of the last 24 months. He turned down big offers last year and he's going to other big offers this year. 

It would be so Indiana to let him(May) walk into another top job.

Article when Woodson was fired from the Hawks...

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=5188712

Woodson felt he deserved a chance to return after the Hawks became just the seventh team in NBA history to win more games than the previous season for five straight years.

But it was clear that some players had tuned him out, especially in the playoffs. Atlanta struggled to beat a short-handed Milwaukee team in the opening round, rallying from a 3-2 deficit to win in seven games. Then came a total rout in the conference semifinals.