Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Coaching search by year and candidates mentioned on the board:

2000 - Mike Davis?

2006 - John Beilin, Rick Pitino, Kelvin Sampson

2008 - Tom Crean?

2017 - Archie Miller, Chris Holtmann, Chris Mack

2021 - Chris Beard, Eric Musselman, Nate Oates, Brad Stevens, Woodson

2023 - John Shertz, Dusty May, Micah Schrewsberry

Interesting that our pick in 2006 no matter who would have been solid.

Interesting that a lot of experts said out of the 3 realistic candidates in 2017 Archie was the worst fit of the bunch, with a lot saying Mack would be the best fit at IU given his relationship with the media. Yet all 3 ended up flaming out. 

Interesting that out of the coaching candidates in 2021, Beard is still by far the best one, with Oates being second

From a macro level, it seems that IU's issue is we didn't make a move in 2011 to grab Stevens from Butler... And ironically, we find our selves in the same predicament today... Both coaches in 3rd season, do we retain for a fourth? Dusty May coming off a FF, potentially could go back? If we don't make a bold move, I'm afraid history will repeat itself. I can live with taking a chance on May... I can't live with taking a chance on woodson for year 4...

4 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

This happened about a month or so to go and people started jumping to these same conclusions. To find out he was out recruiting. I get it that Woodson has not done a good job this year but why start making things up without knowing the facts.

We are never going to know the facts because he isn’t transparent and it leaves us to speculate based off of some of the ridiculous comments he makes, like stating the obvious that we need to add pieces, which he should have done last year and he makes it sound like the season is over, then in the same breath stating the season isn’t over, not quite those words and he probably doesn’t want to answer questions about that, but I am only speculating.  

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

You do realize the majority of the HOF coaches started at a mid major level it was hired without any HC  experience.

Calhoun Northeastern to UCONN

Donovan Marshall to Florida

Boheim no HC experience

Izzo no HC experience

Roy Williams Assistant coach to Kansas. Only reason he went to UNC was him.being an UNC alumni.

RMK Army to IU

Coach K Army to Duke

Wooden ISU to UCLA

Math of these guys moved 35-40+ years ago. Some moved before my parents were born. And for any guy on this list you could fine 10+ mid major guys who didn’t work out. 

I’ve never said that Dusty May can’t or won’t win at IU. I can’t predict the future. I just view him as a big risk, and I view the IU program as being on life support. You don’t get unlimited chances to make the right hire. At some point you’ll kill the program. I think IU is close to that stage. So, I want IU to go out and get the surest thing it can get. That’s not Dusty May for me. If he hadn’t been an IU manager back in the day I don’t think the support for him would be nearly as strong. 

10 hours ago, IUc2016 said:

Yes, of course. But if you think one of those two guys are who you want to lead your program, it has to go into the decision making process. 

I agree on the recruits, but it is the best in-state class in some time that could give a new coach a foundation to build on. Especially considering Woody hasn't necessarily done the best job in cultivating relationships with the in-state schools and recruits like Shrews and Painter currently have.

I am pretty sure that Shrews to IU would all but guarantee Sisley and Mullins, and almost as certain that Dusty would do the same.

48 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Math of these guys moved 35-40+ years ago. Some moved before my parents were born. And for any guy on this list you could fine 10+ mid major guys who didn’t work out. 

I’ve never said that Dusty May can’t or won’t win at IU. I can’t predict the future. I just view him as a big risk, and I view the IU program as being on life support. You don’t get unlimited chances to make the right hire. At some point you’ll kill the program. I think IU is close to that stage. So, I want IU to go out and get the surest thing it can get. That’s not Dusty May for me. If he hadn’t been an IU manager back in the day I don’t think the support for him would be nearly as strong. 

Ok how about Oats Buffalo to Alabama

Musselman Nevada to Arkansas 

Is those a little more contemporary for you

1 hour ago, SamIam said:

Besides, idk how we have moved on to knocking potential coaches for....recruiting and developing good players? 

Because you want to eliminate variables that won’t translate over to the job at IU.  

For example, some mid major coaches can over recruit their coaching deficiencies and be successful at the lower levels. You can’t really do that at IU, so you don’t want to elevate a coach to the IU sideline if their success below is predicated on that quality.  

27 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Ok how about Oats Buffalo to Alabama

Musselman Nevada to Arkansas 

Is those a little more contemporary for you

Sure, those are good examples. Archie Miller is an example in the opposite direction. Musselman and Oats have proven they can do it at the power conference level now, and I’d love if IU could land one of them. I would prefer for Dusty May to go somewhere else first and prove it a la Muss/Oats. If IU is really his dream job then we could still have a good chance at landing him 2-3 years from. 

What’s the deal with the coach’s show this year?

Not only has the show been cut back (not every week now), Woody isn’t even batting .500 for making an appearance.  He’s been present for 2 full coaching shows since the turn of the new year.  I thought this was a major part of his salary?

5 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

I can’t remember where I read this but it was recent. They looked at this and there is no relation to level of coaching and future success. In fact, it was shown a winner is a winner.  They had lots of examples. 

I will see if so can find that. Food for thought. 

I think we all agree on that, but winning at a lower level is being used as a negative for May (he's unproven), and a positive for Schertz (he's a winner!). Again, I like them both just pointing out the inconsistency. 

20 minutes ago, Solsberryberries said:

Not only has the show been cut back (not every week now), Woody isn’t even batting .500 for making an appearance.  He’s been present for 2 full coaching shows since the turn of the new year.  I thought this was a major part of his salary?

He’s too busy looking up old plays from his Atlanta Hawk days that will work in 2024 with zero shooting! 

13 minutes ago, SamIam said:

I think we all agree on that, but winning at a lower level is being used as a negative for May (he's unproven), and a positive for Schertz (he's a winner!). Again, I like them both just pointing out the inconsistency. 

No one is using it as a negative for Dusty May. Some of us just aren’t as impressed with it as others. He’s had two good seasons. His first four years weren’t great at all. Six years is all we have to judge him on. 

Schertz won his conference 9 times during an 11 year span, and finished 2nd and 3rd in the other 2 years. Won 83% of his games and 84.6%  of his conference games. Sure it was in D2, but that much winning is pretty impressive where it’s at in college basketball. He went 23-13 and 13-7 in his conference in year 2 at ISU, and he’s 22-3 in year 3. And he’s doing it at a school with five tournament appearances in school history, so not at a school with a rich tradition (similar to Dusty at FAU). 

I don’t want IU to hire either guy. But one guy has a much longer history of success at the level he’s coached at than the other guy. I don’t see a whole lot of comparisons beyond both being mid major guys.

I think I’d rather deal with another year of Woody ball than hire Dusty May after this season. 

26 minutes ago, Solsberryberries said:

I think there have been some travel issues for games -- they have had several Tuesday games.    

10 minutes ago, Ngw7183 said:

And D Wade was a feather for Crean.

sometimes coaches get lucky. They bring in a kid who outperforms even what they expected. What happens when that player leaves?

point is, there is a lot of questions. More than some want to see.

Yeah, sure, sometimes. And sometimes it’s a really good coach developing an unknown player into a star? Look I get the skepticism. I’m plenty skeptical myself. I’m only offering a counter to the idea that we should discount his FF run and maybe not give him credit for his best player. 

7 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have 2 questions for anybody wanting to fire Woodson. 

1) Do you honestly think we will get somebody better? 
2) do you think the administration will even try this time while hiring 

1) I think we’ll get someone better, but not someone good enough 

2) not a chance

Lol. Woodson Is the best Indiana can do y’all. No one wants this gosh forsaken job. Woodson is the only guy who can get it done. Might as well ride it out Boeheim style.

Whatever, program enthusiasm is in the ditch, the admin will see next year it will sink a little lower as these guys tinker with theories that probably won’t work either.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

22 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have 2 questions for anybody wanting to fire Woodson. 

1) Do you honestly think we will get somebody better? 
2) do you think the administration will even try this time while hiring 

Yes and Yes