Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

4 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

If big money donors said "Woodson goes or I don't donate to men's basketball" that'd get their attention.

And by all indications, that's exactly why he's still the coach.  They didn't.  Big $$ donors said Woody stays or I go, meaning cut back on their annual contributions.  Why do you think Woody made a big deal of thanking Pete Yonkman, President of Cook Group in his Senior Night diatribe?  The money spoke and it spoke very loudly.

17 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

The people in charge care that he played there though.

If big money donors said "Woodson goes or I don't donate to men's basketball" that'd get their attention.

Yeah I get it. I just don’t relate to that type of thinking. Never have and never will. Nepotism is never the correct way to run an organization. 

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

And by all indications, that's exactly why he's still the coach.  They didn't.  Big $$ donors said Woody stays or I go, meaning cut back on their annual contributions.  Why do you think Woody made a big deal of thanking Pete Yonkman, President of Cook Group in his Senior Night diatribe?  The money spoke and it spoke very loudly.

They don't sound like true fans to me.

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

It is tough as we may also need to be patient with the next coach. We expect to get someone in here who will have us a top 20 team every year but we also want to go to final fours. There just are that many of those coaches out there. Would we be happy with a coach like Matt Painter?  The last few years sure but what about years 7,8 and 9 where they finished 6th, 7th then 12th in the BT.  We would have run him out of town.  

Shaka is an interesting candidate. He took a little time to turn TX around but seemed to be making progress his last 2 years there finishing 3rd in the Big12. Not great but getting there but when Pearl became available he was jettisoned.  

Hopefully we get that top 20 every coach but if not, hopefully we can become more patient (easier with a younger coach) and it pays off in the long run. 

Putting my response to this here rather than the coaching carousel thread so @Stuhoo doesn't yell at me.

Maybe keeping Woodson another year is part of Dolson's master plan to make sure the next coach is given some time. He saw how Crean was shown patience the first 3 years after inheriting nothing so he plans to do the same thing again without the sanctions. He knows that Woodson will drive the program into the ground and there won't be any talent left for the next coach. 

(Edit: The above is sarcasm. It would be an idiotic plan but I'm well aware that there is no plan as I say right after this.)

I don't really believe that is Dolson's plan but I do think it has a good chance of working out that way.

4 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Putting my response to this here rather than the coaching carousel thread so @Stuhoo doesn't yell at me.

Maybe keeping Woodson another year is part of Dolson's master plan to make sure the next coach is given some time. He saw how Crean was shown patience the first 3 years after inheriting nothing so he plans to do the same thing again without the sanctions. He knows that Woodson will drive the program into the ground and there won't be any talent left for the next coach. 

I don't really believe that is Dolson's plan but I do think it has a good chance of working out that way.

Also I think it’s going to give Dolson a whole year to really sit down and talk with a range of candidates handlers. I think February if IU is meh I think he’ll try to make sure by then he has his guy locked up. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Im 42 and his playing days means absolutely zero to me. This might seem harsh but even players I do remember playing I wish them well in their lives but that’s the extent of it. I wouldn’t hire them for a job just bc they played for IU. And I wouldn’t hesitate to fire someone just because they played for IU. 

I’m 52 and also his playing days mean zero to me.  Think I was 5-6years old, however I still hold on to those years between 1985-1992 range.  We were where “Duke, UNC and Kansas are now (consistent)

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

There's no master plan. It's pure unadulterated nepotism.

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

There's no master plan. It's pure unadulterated nepotism.

Thanks for telling me something I already know. I thought the sarcasm was apparent but I guess not. Even if that were the master plan, it'd be a truly idiotic plan.

1 hour ago, cbp4iu said:

Also I think it’s going to give Dolson a whole year to really sit down and talk with a range of candidates handlers. I think February if IU is meh I think he’ll try to make sure by then he has his guy locked up. 

I have little to no confidence in Dolson, as well. He's a shill for Buckner and the BoT, apparently.

I sincerely doubt that Dolson has a plan. He's flying by the seat of his pants. Failing to plan = planning to fail.

1 hour ago, cleeter said:

Donors won’t quit because Woodson isn’t here. They donated before Woodson and will after Woodson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indiana appears to be dealing in the area of appeasing the butt-hurt. That's why we have Woodson. That's why Dolson won't do a *$#& thing to prevent butt-hurting the Cooks and Simons. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

Yeah I get it. I just don’t relate to that type of thinking. Never have and never will. Nepotism is never the correct way to run an organization. 

That would be a true statement if Buckner and the BoT cared one iota. Since the men's basketball program is in the dumpster, might as well give Woodson another $4.5M.

4 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

I sincerely doubt that Dolson has a plan. He's flying by the seat of his pants. Failing to plan = planning to fail.

Ugh, people can't even bother to read the whole thing. I should've been obvious sarcasm as it would be an idiotic plan then I say:

3 hours ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

Why not a young Shaka Smart?

375-171 record and now 10-10 in NCAA, Final 4 with VCU and is still in his 40’s.  Emotional, good X’s and O’s and his teams are always good shooters and love to turn teams over with speed!

He is underrated in my opinion, I know Texas didn’t work out but has demonstrated excellence at basketball first schools. 

Marquette is a better program than IU now and since MU has extended Smart through 2029 I would assume there’s a pretty expensive buyout in place as well, similar to Otzelberger and Iowa State.