Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

22 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

It really does sound like IU is Pearl's dream job. Look at what he said about IU before they played Auburn back in December. Also, I don't ever really remember Rabby being that bold saying what he said about Pearl wanting the job..He never did that with Stevens or even Woodson and Miller. 

Or Pearl is using IU as leverage to get a raise and have his son designated as the head coach in waiting at Auburn.  Pearl has been at Auburn for 10 years.  I'm sure that he and his wife have developed a lot of friends at Auburn.  At 64, I don't see him wanting to pick up and start over again.  I think the IU fanbase is getting way too excited about the Pearl rumors.  

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Wouldn't you feel better about hiring Dusty May after seeing him coach and recruit in major college basketball first? If he takes the Miami job and flames out in 4 years aren't you going to be happy it was down there and not up here? If IU is Dusty May's "dream job" he'll take it whenever it's offered. Why not get as much experience as possible beforehand? 

I’d take Dusty now, but an excellent argument can certainly be made that what you are saying, if it would work out, could be even better.

8 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

But what does this mean tho?  Does that mean there is plan in place to move forward from Woodson after this season?   Or is this just a "plan" for some time in the future when they finally decide to move on?  

Sounds like a move now.  Too many things could happen in the next year or so to throw off any plan if you bring him back.  Imo

Just now, IUHoosierJoe said:

I’d take Dusty now, but an excellent argument can certainly be made that what you are saying, if it would work out, could be even better.

Dusty isn't my #1 or even #2 choice, but I would take him over Woodson at this point. I struggle seeing the admin move on from Woodson this early just to hire Dusty May. Personally, I think it's Pearl or bust and if not Woodson gets another year. If Dusty goes on another deep run this March you could probably convince me that he deserves the job after the 24-25 season. 

11 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Chris isn't going to give information he isn't comfortable giving out.  That said, if it were a "plan" for some time in the future when they finally decide to move on, that isn't really something that would newsworthy for Chris to post.

That is true.  

I also must say I find it amusing how fast things have changed to Pearl being seen in a positive light here as a possible coach.  The last couple go arounds he has been seen in a very negative light.  

It is a hard situation to not get your hopes up.  But we have went through the Donovan ordeal.  The Stevens ordeal.  Now who is the next person to walk that path and then we end up with a less than stellar selection.  

I want to be positive that there is still a bright future for IU Basketball, but more and more I feel like things have passed us by and we will never be more than what we have been for the last few years.  Maybe an occasional sweet 16 run, but more times than not we are a bubble team or a NIT team. 

I think i'd rather get Pearl for 5-7 years than Dusty May right now. I know that sounds crazy to some...but I just don't trust a mid-major hire right now. A young relatively inexperienced guy stepping into the maelstrom that is IU basketball in 2024-2025. It ate up Archie. It is currently eating up Woody. It eventually ate up Crean. 

13 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Or Pearl is using IU as leverage to get a raise and have his son designated as the head coach in waiting at Auburn.  Pearl has been at Auburn for 10 years.  I'm sure that he and his wife have developed a lot of friends at Auburn.  At 64, I don't see him wanting to pick up and start over again.  I think the IU fanbase is getting way too excited about the Pearl rumors.  

Hey, this is what we do best.  We used to be a great basketball program and we as fans loved knowing we were always going to be a contendor.  Now, we excel in coaching search rumors and are probably one of the best programs in the county at this (the rumor talk not the actual hiring sadly).  So don't get in the way of our calling, our passion to dream big.  If we cannot hire well, doggonit we should still be able to dream the impossible dream without people trying to bring us down.  

Found this podcast from last year with BP.  Wins & Losses with Clay Travis: Clay Talks With Bruce Pearl on Apple Podcasts

I am only about halfway through but first half has been great.  He mentions how he was poor until the TN job and still shops the clearance racks because that is what he always did.  Talks about moving from each of his programs and how he is always all in when at a school but when he feels it is time to move on, it is hard but he does what he thinks is best.  Good listen.

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Found this podcast from last year with BP.  Wins & Losses with Clay Travis: Clay Talks With Bruce Pearl on Apple Podcasts

I am only about halfway through but first half has been great.  He mentions how he was poor until the TN job and still shops the clearance racks because that is what he always did.  Talks about moving from each of his programs and how he is always all in when at a school but when he feels it is time to move on, it is hard but he does what he thinks is best.  Good listen.

His pregame interview before playing IU has some good nuggets about the State of Indiana, IU and Knight. Indiana def seems to give him a fuzzy feeling. Fast forward to the 1:00 mark. 

1 minute ago, Adillac said:

It would seem a little improbable for IU to buyout Woody and Pearl and then pay Pearl a huge salary. That's a lot of dough. 

The only way I see this working is if Woodson, Pearl, Auburn, and IU are all willing to negotiate all the numbers. 

2 minutes ago, Adillac said:

It would seem a little improbable for IU to buyout Woody and Pearl and then pay Pearl a huge salary. That's a lot of dough. 

Scared money dont make no money. 

Also, it has been stated that Money wont be an issue/problem here

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

It's true and just like in real life, the VP doesn't really get to do anything. Plus that Dang Stu will live to be 130 so my chance of moving up is slim

That seems always the case!

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

From what I have heard we have a really good plan going forward. We just need to let Dolson work. 

Hopefully that plan includes Buckner, the BoT and the donors... otherwise, it's gonna miss.