Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson + Assessment of Former Posters

Here’s a fun anecdote. My wife, who is a die hard fan, but doesn’t really watch that closely or understand all the nuance in a basketball game said: “Why is Woody yelling at Trey? He’s the only person who even tries.” Aside from realizing a clearly married the right person once again, all I could do was agree. That was a terrible look. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

HOORAY!!

Please private message me a large carnitas burrito with everything (and extra hot sauce).

image.png.be2572b8fa1ff24b46c3246f9c5b31a9.png

Guess I'll go ahead and prepay my commitment as well. I feel this is appropriate under the circumstances.

6 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Exactly!  He puts little effort into his coaching and he relies on their talents to get them over the “hump”!

Interesting... we aren't a great team, but I do think we have more talent than hump... but the hump sits in his office puffing and sipping away and tossing his players under the bus.

6 minutes ago, Trish said:

Why would Dolson give Woodson such a large buyout? There’s no other program that was trying to hire him away. 

boggles the mind... the recent "raise" contract also reset the buyout from 50% of remaining money owed to 100% of remaining money owed.

5 minutes ago, OKHOOSIER said:

Here’s a fun anecdote. My wife, who is a die hard fan, but doesn’t really watch that closely or understand all the nuance in a basketball game said: “Why is Woody yelling at Trey? He’s the only person who even tries.” Aside from realizing a clearly married the right person once again, all I could do was agree. That was a terrible look. 

Bob Knight used to get on the team captain if the team wasn't playing well.  The idea was the captain would then get on the other players and the team would play better.  I'm not sure that dynamic still works in the age of NIL.  It certainly doesn't work if players have other agendas than winning. 

I just don’t want to have to wait til the end of the season to know 100% sure whether we are making the move. Obviously they probably wouldn’t announce it until then, but having some concrete reassurance aside from the obvious dumpster fire would be great ha. 

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

boggles the mind... the "raise" contract also reset the buyout from 50% of remaining money owed to 100% of remaining money owed.

I think that the money owed to Woodson due to the "raise" contract should come out of Dolson's salary. That was an $8M mistake that he should pay for.

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sitting here putting off some work I need to get done... Why don't reporters ever ask Woodson the important questions? It's always what went wrong tonight, what can you do to get the team turned around. What I want to know is if tonight is a red or a white night for Woody, and if tonight is a dry or a sweet night. 

I want one to ask if he can join the cigar and wine party that Woodson is going to that night.

28 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I am not saying I want CMW as our coach but we have the expectation to give the coach behind 4-5 years but we only gave Woodson 3.  To me, the precedent has been set, he needs to turn it around 3 years or less, I’m not getting any younger 

If I was interviewing candidates and/or working with their agents and that question came up, I would just be completely candid…

Listen, there was a lot of internal issues/bad decisioning and circumstance that were behind that hire — and now, clearly the pigeons have come home to roost! Stevens soft committed to us, and we thought we had a home run. He nastily leveraged us for the GM assignment in Boston, pulled out late in the process - leaving us with our pants down. Forced to scramble, internal connections played a major role (BOD prez dictated buddy ball)…and we brought in someone historically well esteemed, NBA experience, but semi-retired and w/zero college coaching experience. To support the risk and maintain stability, we kept a lot of our old staff, brought in a very successful former P5 head coach, and a long term assistant from one of the consistently best programs in the B1G the last qtr century. We also let him bring in a stealth strategist to sit and sometimes sleep in chair one on the bench and keep the players relaxed in game.

Well, said coach ran off the more experienced support rails, and the rest turned into a dumpster fire. THUS, our reason for moving forward while there’s still any semblance of smoking embers in the program’s fire pit. We need a true winner who has shown success, has the energy and time to be 100% committed, and is ready to leverage the force that IU basketball can be. We think you/you’re client is that guy - and we’re willing to pay to prove it!

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Bob Knight used to get on the team captain if the team wasn't playing well.  The idea was the captain would then get on the other players and the team would play better.  I'm not sure that dynamic still works in the age of NIL.  It certainly doesn't work if players have other agendas than winning. 

I don’t disagree it can be used effectively. However, RMK also wouldn’t shy away from criticism and make excuse after excuse with the press. When all he does is blame players and injuries and make any excuse for not getting over the hump— you lose all credibility ripping a guy who clearly is one of the few really trying to win. That was more the reason I think it’s a terrible look. Ware was 5-13 from the line. Cupps couldn’t guard Tominanga to save his life. MR couldn’t stop fouling— again. There were plenty of options for benching or getting in someone’s butt. Trey wasn’t it and it was obvious to someone who tends to not notice things like that— that was the main point.