Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

50 minutes ago, Unexpectedflash said:

I saw someone throw out TJ otzelberger a while ago so i decided to look more into it and im intrigued and he feels gettable. He had top 30 kenpom teams his first two years at Iowa st but that was on the back of top 10 defenses. This year his offense has taken a big leap (kenpom 43) along with a top 5 defense and if that’s sustainable hes exactly what we need. Top 10 recruiting class at Iowa st last year. Only makes 2.5 million and is from Milwaukee. He’s leading the best conference in America this year.

In another  year if he stays on the same path maybe.

1 minute ago, Alford Bailey said:

In another  year if he stays on the same path maybe.

I guess my view of the program is different than others because a guy that has had top 30 teams the last 3 years in the best conference in America would be enough for me. I don’t think we’re good enough to just go steal a top 10 coach in the country from someone else as much as I’d like us to. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he’s too stubborn to walk away. He knew he was getting 4 years, Dolson knew he was getting 4 years. This is not a money issue. They will sit down at the end of the season to lay out what needs to happen next season. 

I think it would be cruel to give him another year.  Ware and MM are gone.  I think decent chance Reneau is too.  He would need like 4 studs in the portal and that's just not going to happen.  This won't end well.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think he’s too stubborn to walk away. He knew he was getting 4 years, Dolson knew he was getting 4 years. This is not a money issue. They will sit down at the end of the season to lay out what needs to happen next season. 

What happens if the portal is not good and Iu starts sluggish and come late January early February IU is around .500 and nowhere near a tourney bid again. Could we see a “retirement tour for Woody.”

1 minute ago, cbp4iu said:

What happens if the portal is not good and Iu starts sluggish and come late January early February IU is around .500 and nowhere near a tourney bid again. Could we see a “retirement tour for Woody.”

Oh I definitely think next year could and will be his last. I expect most of January, all of February and March talking coaches and figuring out who’s next.

1 minute ago, cbp4iu said:

Dolson will probably give him another $1 million raise like he did after Woodson achieved the unthinkable and took us to back to back NCAA tournament blowout losses. 

11 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Thanks for bringing the info to the board even if it isn’t what we all want/think should happen.  Do you think there a chance it won’t be Dolson’s decision to make and money could come from other sources?  The mismanagement of this whole situation is mind blowing

11 minutes ago, RoadRage said:

I don’t think I am exaggerating when I say, another year like this season and Woody will do a lot of damage to his legacy at Indiana, that should mean something to him! Maybe he will prove us all wrong, but I think next season is going to be a dumpster fire and Mike Woodson will be remembered as a disaster and a huge mistake!

That’s how I’ll remember him. I wasn’t alive when he was a player at IU. Heck, my parents were in elementary school when he was. His tenure as coach will be the only memories I have of him. Wine, cigars, and Ls. The Mike Woodson way. 

2 hours ago, Scotty R said:

You really want to go with Duke and UNC.

Duke Scheyer no head coaching experience

UNC Davis no HC experience.

I have posted many times that most of the all time great coaches started at a mid major or lower. You just don't see great coaches leaving their jobs to go to other power conference teams

Oats Buffalo to Alabama

Musselman Nevada to Arkansas.

I post these two because these guys came up just like May did.

The former 2 were groomed specifically for those respective jobs. Both were former players and alums who sat on the bench learning from two of the best to ever do it. I’d argue Scheyer ran most of the day to day at Duke in the 2-3 years prior to Coach K’s retirement. He was certainly Duke’s lead recruiter and did 95% of the leg work. Not quite apples to apples comparison.

I believe@Chris007 is giving us what he's hearing but sometimes promises aren't fulfilled. I really believe (assuming this keeps going bad) that this will be his last year. Why, if these people admire Mike, would they put him in the line of fire next year and not only tarnish his legacy but actually make him hated? Doesn't make since for friends to do that to him. And make no mistake it'll be nasty next year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

These 3 people believe this year was a fluke in the portal, X injury and he deserves a chance to turn it around. He can lose every game but he’s coming back if he wants to.

Sure, but he has one player "signed."  Who's coming back to play for him? 

Ware is going NBA from all accounts. 

After throwing guys like Gallo and Renue under the bus -- if they are really unhappy, they have transfer options.  MM has transfer options as well.  

Is Banks still on the team?  Gunn probably moves on to mid-major for playing time.  

X and KW graduate.  

So Cupps, Sparks, and Leal (assuming he doesn't want to get serious about RE) are all that is left.  Bold strategy Cotton.    

2 hours ago, NVFalcons1990 said:

in no particular order 

1. Jay Wright - long shot but hope money talks, we have to put out the feeler.  Would be a king here

2. Brad Stephens - just to see if anything has changed, probably not as he’s in higher spot with Celtics

3. Nate Oates - Does he want the challenge, seems like the type

4. Mick Cronin - Does he miss the Midwest and would he bring excitement to the fan base

5. Mike White - Currently at Georgia, had some success at Florida

Jay Wright is done coaching college basketball

Who is Brad Stephens

Why would Nate Oats leave Alabama for Louisville.

Mick Cronin cod happen because he is seems unhappy at UCLA

Mike White isn't a big upgrade