Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

3 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

I agree with you.  May has looked good and has IU history but we need to set our sights on a proven power 5 coach if we are conducting the search right.  We poached Sampson from Oklahoma and my guess is we’d have another banner if not for all the shenanigans.

That was almost 2 decades ago. There's very little, if any, reason for a successful power 5 coach to give up that gig and take on this mess. 

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

This is a systematic issue that starts and stops at the top. Mike Woodson has ZERO clue what he’s doing. There is zero accountability anywhere.

Accountability at the bank…he and others are doing quite well.

18 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

He actually has.  Improved the roster.  Improved the coaching staff. For starters.  But I get your point. He’s won as many games as I have.  Still not ready to throw Dolson to the ditch. 

Same thing was said about T.A., and pretty much every newly hired coach in one way or another….It is basically called hope and huge bank accounts.

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

That was almost 2 decades ago. There's very little, if any, reason for a successful power 5 coach to give up that gig and take on this mess. 

Good point and it’s true things have gotten worse (and it seems unbelievable that it has been almost 20 years since Sampson). I think the answer is money, NIL and resources.  Coaching is an ego driven profession so I think some of the better ones could be convinced.  It would no doubt be expensive but could provide fans a sense of taking it seriously and with urgency

4 minutes ago, TTT said:

If IU wants a players coach that wins with knowing how to build a program go to where they got T.Moren….on 46 to Terre Haute and grab that coach.  

Interesting. I just went and checked him out. He should definitely be on the radar. Guy wins big everywhere he has been. 

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Would people want Dusty May if he didn’t have IU history? Because he really seems like the latest mid major flavor of the month. Would be hard to get excited about the hire and little reason to believe we’d be competitive immediately with him. 

That's my concern with May, I'd like to see more from him. Some would say he could be here 30 years but we could need a new coach in 3; same thing I said about Miller and it's no secret I wasn't a fan of that hire.

26 minutes ago, TTT said:

Same thing was said about T.A., and pretty much every newly hired coach in one way or another….It is basically called hope and huge bank accounts.

Except cig has a record.  This isn’t his first rodeo.  You can just tell by the size of his balls.  

24 minutes ago, hoopsta007 said:

Good point and it’s true things have gotten worse (and it seems unbelievable that it has been almost 20 years since Sampson). I think the answer is money, NIL and resources.  Coaching is an ego driven profession so I think some of the better ones could be convinced.  It would no doubt be expensive but could provide fans a sense of taking it seriously and with urgency

You dream.  

Didn't like the hire to start but always hoped to be proven wrong. Glad Woody is getting paid in his twilight years.
It's often said teams take on the personality of their coach and damn does it look like this team is taking a nice weekday siesta for long stretches of games. There are too many issues with this team and program to list here. I was hoping, at a minimum, Woody would be able to lay a foundation for the next coach to build on. What does that foundation look like?

Coaching
- trust, accountability, work ethic, successful game plans putting your players in a position to succeed individually and as a team

Individual
- trust, accountability, work ethic, fundamentals, intelligence, leadership

Team
- trust, accountability, chemistry, complementing pieces

Summer after summer after summer we hear words and phrases like potential, improvement, and leadership while most seasons for decades we've been worse than the sum of the parts. You're not building a foundation or winning culture when you don't hold players accountable on and off the court. When you excuse your players being ejected, when you excuse your inability to construct a team, when you excuse god awful basketball and then back it up with "it's not an excuse but..."

6 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

That's my concern with May, I'd like to see more from him. Some would say he could be here 30 years but we could need a new coach in 3; same thing I said about Miller and it's no secret I wasn't a fan of that hire.

The thing about Dusty is that it wasn’t just a miracle run, they won 30+ games last year and they’re very competitive this year too. Not to mention he has been by far the most successful coach in FAU history. He also runs a real modern system for college basketball and was able to retain an entire roster that went to three finsl four last year which shows he can recruit.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Didn't like the hire to start but always hoped to be proven wrong. Glad Woody is getting paid in his twilight years.
It's often said teams take on the personality of their coach and damn does it look like this team is taking a nice weekday siesta for long stretches of games. There are too many issues with this team and program to list here. I was hoping, at a minimum, Woody would be able to lay a foundation for the next coach to build on. What does that foundation look like?

Coaching
- trust, accountability, work ethic, successful game plans putting your players in a position to succeed individually and as a team

Individual

Team

Summer after summer after summer we hear words and phrases like potential, improvement, and leadership while most seasons for decades we've been worse than the sum of the parts. You're not building a foundation or winning culture when you don't hold players accountable on and off the court. When you excuse your players being ejected, when you excuse your inability to construct a team, when you excuse god awful basketball and then back it up with "it's not an excuse but..."

"It's not an excuse but" then follows it with an excuse.

Guys and girls. It’s been since 98 (the year the building opened) since we beat Wisky at Wisky. Listen, used to, you never worried about these stiffs. It has been since 19 ******* 98. Why can’t we have nice things? 

I hate morale wins. But I loved our fight tonight. Week off, is what the doctor ordered. I am very interested in seeing where things finish. I can see 13-7 in B1G. However, it could be as bad as 8-12. I’m really pulling for Woody, I’m so sick and ******* tired of sucking balls. What if we kept kelvin sampson? Do we win at Wisky with Ware? One has to wonder

I’ve been an IU basketball fan for 38 years, so I remember the good years.  If I’m a 17-18 year old high school star or player in the transfer portal being recruited by IU, why would I even be interested?  With what I see on the court, I’m not even interested enough to watch anymore. 

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Coaching

Individual

Team

Let’s start small.  How about — don’t come off the three point sharpshooter.  The defensive rotations are obviously too complex for the college game.  Need to adjust.  

Here I am at a diner in New Jersey thinking about how the current state of Indiana University men's basketball could completely destroy all recruiting momentum. Mgbako transfers and McNeeley decommits (both feasible regardless of weather there is a coaching change IMO) and all it does is scream to the basketball world that the program is a dumpster fire. The first priority IMO of Woody/whoever our head men's basketball coach this offseason (have to let myself believe it's a possibility there's a change after this season, not next) should be to retain Reneau and Mgbako. Reneau I think you've got a fighting shot. Mgbako just screams transfer candidate to me but I hope I'm wrong. Honestly it would suck to blow it all up... but with the portal, especially for a school with our resources, teams and staffs can look totally different year to year. I just want to see the next coach recruit to fit a system and build a culture. Actually run coherent sets and play modern basketball. You can win with lots of kinds of guys, but we never have the right mix/enough of them/we've had them, but the staff has not enabled them. Last night was a no show. After Purdue too? Embarrassing display after embarrassing display.

I hope the people who make the decisions at iu are waking up as disgusted as I am. Sitting here sick at what this program has become. What is it 2 ejections in the last 3 games? The decision to hire a guy with zero college experience isnt panning out. Get a fing good proven coach!

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Geometry Hoosier said:

I’ve been an IU basketball fan for 38 years, so I remember the good years.  If I’m a 17-18 year old high school star or player in the transfer portal being recruited by IU, why would I even be interested?  With what I see on the court, I’m not even interested enough to watch anymore. 

Exactly. Plus kids have other interests besides basketball that influence them on where to go. The only thing that would maybe sell me is that Woodson was in the NBA so long so he knows people clearly. Hell, he got Kopp an NBA spot for crying out loud. 

In almost all scenarios whether different or similar and whether at IU or anywhere else there is just no ACCOUNTABILITY for all the high amounts of money that is thrown around to everyone at the top and or near the top of major organizations.

IU team/s play is a reflection of how the coach and coaching staff as a whole concept and unit perform their coaching duties and responsibilities of job performance.