Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

5 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

If Woodson had gotten fland people might be more forgiving now. But the old help is on the way thing does not apply. He went all in on fland and lost. It was a massive blow imo.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It's why I wanted a big class in the fall. "Help is on the way" gets ridiculed and mocked around here all the time, but knowing scholarships are filled for next season can go a long way toward getting people off the ledge. Woodson needs any positive momentum he can get right now. Could we get guys in the spring? Sure, but not knowing who they'll be or if they'll even be available isn't getting people through the cold, dark nights of January when we're getting clowned by teams Nebraska and Rutgers. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You can feel that way, but it doesn't have to be at all though. There is little doubt in my mind we can find 2 guards more impactful as college players NEXT season, than Boogie Fland. 

^^So very much this^^

The problem has not been failure to land Fland for next season; rather it's been the failure to land someone like Elijah Hawkins or RayJ Dennis for this season.

5 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

There can be some kids change their minds in the spring and the portal might help but Woody did swing a miss with guards in the portal last year.  We really could have used 1 for sure and maybe 2.  

If we find a way to go on a run like last year then that will really help especially as it would require winning games against some of the better teams in the BT.  But if we really struggle down the stretch his portal magic will likely fade

We had no room for 2 guards, realistically. 

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

^^So very much this^^

The problem has not been failure to land Fland for next season; rather it's been the failure to land someone like Elijah Hawkins or RayJ Dennis for this season.

Heyyyy now we're talking. I'd preferred Nijel Pack last offseason, but yeah. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

^^So very much this^^

There is a guard from Baylor I just saw that went into the portal. Know nothing about him, but the portal will be chalk full of players and IU has two major selling points: 1) Playing time and shots are plentifully available on our roster 2) We can give you a boat load of $ to come here. 

I sort of feel bad for being so emotionally charged in my posts the last few days. There are flaws and things I currently dislike, but many of my gripes can be solved in the off-season with the addition of two guards. 2-2 on tourneys under Woody, whereas Pearl was 0-3 to start at Auburn so right now I'm reverting my call for firing until the finish of next season. Benefit of the doubt is now being given to Woody from me personally. My former favorite player, XJ, has to turn it around - hopefully this is a wake up call. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We had no room for 2 guards, realistically. 

Before we added anyone we did.  We then chose to go with 2 bigs and one 3/4.  Is Payton going to help us more than a guard?  Since we did not get one it does not really matter whether a second guard would have been more help than Sparks will be but we did have space at during that recruiting period.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

wait what? TJD was an All American when Woodson got here? 

Wow, no, he wasn't. He had two ok moves, couldn't dribble, and was pretty much out of shape. 

Lol that’s really downplaying who TJD was.

“As a sophomore during the 2020–21 season, Jackson-Davis averaged 19.1 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. Jackson-Davis garnered several awards at the close of the season. He was named a third team All-American by the Sporting News, NABC and USBWA; an honorable mention All-American (AP); All-Big Ten (First Team by media and AP; Second Team by coaches); and a Wooden Award Finalist.”

It's a 2 way street. Yes, we could've and should've gotten at least 1 more guard in the portal. But looking at it from the portal players perspective, why would they come to IU where the 1 & 2 minutes are 90% taken by 2 seniors? Portal players are in the portal for a reason, mainly that reason is for more playing time. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lol that’s really downplaying who TJD was.

“As a sophomore during the 2020–21 season, Jackson-Davis averaged 19.1 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. Jackson-Davis garnered several awards at the close of the season. He was named a third team All-American by the Sporting News, NABC and USBWA; an honorable mention All-American (AP); All-Big Ten (First Team by media and AP; Second Team by coaches); and a Wooden Award Finalist.”

I didn't downplay who he was at all. I watched him for 50+ games as a FR+SO. He wasn't sniffing the NBA until Mike Woodson arrived. 

His ability to finish around the rim, distribute, and defend the rim improved absurd levels... and again, his conditioning did too. 

30 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Before we added anyone we did.  We then chose to go with 2 bigs and one 3/4.  Is Payton going to help us more than a guard?  Since we did not get one it does not really matter whether a second guard would have been more help than Sparks will be but we did have space at during that recruiting period.

We did not have room for two guards. One yes, not two. 

There's a difference between "having room" and "could have used". We absolutely had to have Sparks, though, and Walker. 

Not using the open scholly is the only thing in question.  

XJ, TG, Leal, Gunn, Banks, Cupps-- one, not two. Unless you'd have dumped Banks/Gunn/Leal---- then we could have added two (along with the open scholly)

1 hour ago, IU_FanClub said:

Booing our own players in introductions is classless and shouldn't happen. I understand being frustrated with ins actions and his play but if our arena starts singling out and booing it's own players it is not going to make anything better only worse.

I get that but that’s what he deserves.  We all know it won’t happen because Hoosier fans aren’t classless.  I wouldn’t even do it!  It’s just a rant, hence the thread!  But what he done 2 years ago, then the speeding arrest, and the nut shoot, and I know there were a few other things I’ve left out on top of being named captain before the season.  My expectations as a team captain are much higher than what he’s performed, IMO

4 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I get that but that’s what he deserves.  We all know it won’t happen because Hoosier fans aren’t classless.  I wouldn’t even do it!  It’s just a rant, hence the thread!  But what he done 2 years ago, then the speeding arrest, and the nut shoot, and I know there were a few other things I’ve left out on top of being named captain before the season.  My expectations as a team captain are much higher than what he’s performed, IMO

He certainly has not performed well enough but the train has left the station and if we are going to have any hope of salvaging this season we need him