Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

IUBB at Xavier - Friday, 11/18/22 @ 6:00 on FS1

Great college basketball game last night. Xavier (the team) is much better than I gave them credit for. Now that IU beat them I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way. 

1) I said before the game Indiana needed Trayce to have a B1G Tournament kind of game. He sure did that. I think in these kind of games he has to take over. He certainly helped his case for NPOY. 

2) He made some dumb mistakes (tech, turnover under 2 min left) but X. Johnson played like an All-American tonight. I still think he's the best PG in the conference when he's on. 

3) I don't care about who starts at this moment. But it's telling how much Coach Woodson trusts the two freshmen. I kind of thought Race would have a VJ3 like senior season. Verdell's numbers dropped his final year at IU partly due to more talent on the team. Malik Reneau right now is a better college player than Race. I think at some point Malik will see more minutes. He's currently 8th on the team. Still, Race is someone this team is lucky to have. He is as they say a glue guy. Rebounds well, passes well, defends well. 

4) Outside of Malik and Trey I wasn't impressed with the bench. Tamar and Geronimo have got to be better or they won't see any playing time. If that's the case give CJ and Kaleb minutes. Someone said it earlier..If Geronimo doesn't show up in the first half he may not see any action in the 2nd half. You have Trayce, Race, and Malik. Only so many minutes at the 4/5 spots. I think Logan is much improved but I doubt he sees action in games like this. 

5) I'll keep admitting I was wrong on Miller Kopp. A little disappointed to see him getting bashed on Twitter during the game by IU fans. I think I've came around to agreeing with most of you..who are you going to start over him? Geronimo isn't a 3. Bates has done nothing to show Coach that he can start. 

Huge test in 11 days. Lot of IFs but considering top teams are playing in big games next week IU could be #1 in the country if they knock of UNC. To even be talking about this after the disastrous previous 5 years of basketball before Woody is an accomplishment. Keep it going.  

3 minutes ago, Tasmanian Devil said:

Sean Miller.

I know this isn't about the Miller family but I'll say this: I was able to meet Archie once. He was an extremely nice person. Stayed to get pictures with every IU fan in the room (there were lots of us). I don't think people can say the same about Sean. I watched them both on the Field of 68 last year. Two different people. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I know this isn't about the Miller family but I'll say this: I was able to meet Archie once. He was an extremely nice person. Stayed to get pictures with every IU fan in the room (there were lots of us). I don't think people can say the same about Sean. I watched them both on the Field of 68 last year. Two different people. 

Agreed.

Besides IU I live and die with Xavier. Paid over $100k to that place for kid’s education and fell in love with the campus/Cincinnati.. 

But I wasn’t thrilled with Miller coming back. Besides the FBI crap, he’s a whiner and sweats all over the place.

Missed the first half last night, but went back and watched this morning. 

The tech on X was pure horsesh*t, in my opinion. He made the 3, then turned toward the Xavier bench on his way back upcourt. Of course I'm biased, but I hate blaming anything on the refs -- he didn't even look at those bench turds for more than a second. 

Ref totally overreacted. 

Just my 2 cents' worth -- which isn't even worth that much. 

One of you guys, can’t remember which (might’ve been @WayneFleekHoosier ) said before this game it reminded him of where we were when that past IU team was heading into the NC State game as its first real test. 

That comparison held up well imo. NC State was a good team and continued to be that season, X looks like a team that could get ranked at some point and in any event should be in contention for a tourney bid, and our guys showed experience and poise in handling the road environment, not letting early adversity get the better of them, and playing to the end for the W.

And we have a legit All American candidate mobile big. 

I think our bench will bounce back well, but that we can win a game like this when some play poorly says a lot

1 hour ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

5) I'll keep admitting I was wrong on Miller Kopp. A little disappointed to see him getting bashed on Twitter during the game by IU fans. I think I've came around to agreeing with most of you..who are you going to start over him? Geronimo isn't a 3. Bates has done nothing to show Coach that he can start. 

Yep. Our lineup that pushed the lead to 8 was X, Trey, Kopp, Reneau, TJD. Reneau scored 3 buckets during that stretch and had a nice assist to TJD. Kopp hit the 3, his two FT’s, took care of the ball and was the inbounder.  

Xavier was able to get back in it on the tech on Reneau, a couple of dumb turnovers by XJ, and some missed FT’s on our part.  

I’m just not sure where you find the minutes for Geronimo that second half.