Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Josh said:

Again...who cares?  Everything adapts and changes.  If you're going to shake your fist at change, you're going to become a grumpy old man.  

If it died for you, good luck to whatever you move on to.  Hopefully it never changes and you never have to go through this again.  There are plenty of us who don't fear progress who will be here to watch college basketball into the future.

Don't fear progress if it is for the good but what is happening to the college game is not fir the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don't fear progress if it is for the good but what is happening to the college game is not fir the better.

We can play by the rules and take advantage of our market size to finally dig our program out of the gutter. I’d say better is subjective at this point 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

 

Am I oversimplifying this, or would a one-year sit after transfer with full NIL privileges completely address the ability for players to profit off of their name, but eliminate free agency with no restrictions?

 

Except.....I think that it wouldn't stand up in a court of law.  The transfer rule went largely unchallenged for decades but I think the tide is turning on who has control in terms of athletic rules.  Students transfer for school to school all the time without being restricted....not sure having an all-encompassing rule for athletic teams would fly legally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Except.....I think that it wouldn't stand up in a court of law.  The transfer rule went largely unchallenged for decades but I think the tide is turning on who has control in terms of athletic rules.  Students transfer for school to school all the time without being restricted....not sure having an all-encompassing rule for athletic teams would fly legally.

Yeah people keep railing about this turning into professional sports but they also seem to want to go back to an era when teams controlled the rights to a player 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Don't fear progress if it is for the good but what is happening to the college game is not fir the better.

What is good for the sport in general is not always better for the individual players.  And the truth is, its not the individual player's responsibility to make sure that it is.  

The NCAA needs to address what they can control instead of throwing their hands up in the air about what they can't.  They can't even figure out how to move forward with the college football championship plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah people keep railing about this turning into professional sports but they also seem to want to go back to an era when teams controlled the rights to a player 

And acting like this will create a system of have and have nots.....as if they wasn't happening before.  Just seems to me that now there are more haves since the risk of the NCAA's selective penalties are out of the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA and the schools have insisted forever that the athletes are not employees. If they want to regain some control they'd probably have to change that stance. I'd be surprised if that happens any time soon, if ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

And acting like this will create a system of have and have nots.....as if they wasn't happening before.  Just seems to me that now there are more haves since the risk of the NCAA's selective penalties are out of the way.

Yup. IU hasn’t been relevant consistently since Duke and UK really started spending in the 90’s. A year here or there but nothing consistent. MSU paid Dawson and other under  the table and have been dominant since the 90’s. This new model is the only way IU can have a shot of being elite again consistently. Glad we have a coach who is used to free agency. 
 

If someone gets paid to play basketball is diminishing ones enjoyment of the game, I’m not sure what to say to that. Seems odd that people are disgruntled that young adults are making money from their skills. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Josh said:

Again...who cares?  Everything adapts and changes.  If you're going to shake your fist at change, you're going to become a grumpy old man.  

If it died for you, good luck to whatever you move on to.  Hopefully it never changes and you never have to go through this again.  There are plenty of us who don't fear progress who will be here to watch college basketball into the future.

Change does not = progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Change does not = progress.

That's true, considering no one has change in their pocket anymore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jepwatso said:

That's true, considering no one has change in their pocket anymore

People can't afford to put gas in their tanks, or food on their table, but we're paying kids hundreds of thousands of dollars, to play as "amateurs"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be interesting to see what happens but in mens basketball I think the 30 or so 5 stars, in the next year or two, will be getting/expecting a minimum of 800k-1,000,000+ to commit to a school. 


The NIL $$$ is already accelerating much quicker than I expected and we are only in the first inning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested to see how things play out when a player gets 400k to play for a school then produces at a subpar level. What will be the reaction of another player who has been at the school 1-2 years but hasn't received the same financial love. I'm thinking it's gonna be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Let's pretend our wealthiest donors put their heads together and crafted an NIL plan that brought a reincarnated Fab 5 to IU. 

 

I wouldn't care if we had players cashing checks at halftime of games as long as they won the damn banner. 

 

I'm sick and tired of being an afterthought in college basketball. No one cares about programs that "do it the right way," they care about the ones who win. We don't win because for decades, we've been saddled with people who don't want to take risks and insist on doing everything the hard way. We've wasted so much time and opportunities all while our biggest competitors lapped us. 

 

Would you like to live in a world where IU is an NIL behemoth, and programs like Purdue and Wisconsin are afterthoughts? I would. 

I would, of course want to be relevant and fun again. But do we really want another G-League? 
 

the NCAA was different than the G -League and NBA and I loved it.  Fearful the NCAA comes crashing downs. It’s complete anarchy right now 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DChoosier said:

The money isn’t coming from the government or from the schools but rather wealthy boosters and/or people contributing to NIL’s. Not sure how that impacts or correlates to someone that can’t put food on their table.

 

 

No one said the government was paying for it. Just pointing out how completely out of hand this is. I'm all for people getting paid for their services, but this is turning into somewhere between the G league, and the NBA. The NCAA should have put some parameters in place, before this turned into a free for all. 

The government and the NCAA are both incompetent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

Change does not = progress.

Not all progress is successful, but it is a progression toward the ongoing evolution of sports.  But yes, change is a progression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

We can play by the rules and take advantage of our market size to finally dig our program out of the gutter. I’d say better is subjective at this point 

No doubt this is a tremendous opportunity for Indiana to claw back what they deserve.   Fred and company have put together a two-pronged approach that accomplishes the basketball objectives while bringing awareness to some really useful organizations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×