Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Five Prime

2022-2023 IUBB Roster Projection

7 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Yogi’s competition was that the previous season, before Yogi arrived, Hulls led IU to the sweet 16 as our junior PG.

I agree we didn’t have a lot of guard depth, in Yogi’s freshman year, but it’s still a big accomplishment (and a testimony to how good most, but not all, highly ranked players are) for a freshman to come and be good enough to move a senior PG to a different position. Handing over the PG keys to a freshman, when you have a proven senior, is a big deal.

Don't want to get too off subject, but Hulls was not a true PG.  It was a natural shift to play Yogi ar PG and Hulls at SG

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Woodson is a better coach than Archie, but even the best coaches need some horses to work with. I want JHS playing 25 mpg and Reneau playing 18-20 mpg.

We have a very solid top 3. Our next four, based on their play last year, was mediocre. If we want to be a top 15 team next year we need a lot more from guys 4-7 than what we got from Bates/Kopp/Galloway/Geronimo. Some of that can be from those four improving, certainly, but what we really need is for the two 5 stars to come in and play like it. 

Ren is more likely to be in the area of 14 min or so, he’s a frosh 4 coming in to play for time against a sr Race and junior Geronimo (with the poss of JG playing some wing) in the B1G, banging against vet PF’s. Ren is coming in used to playing around that with a loaded HS team. It’s a different animal with JHS coming in as a point/combo and Rob gone. 

24 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Ren is more likely to be in the area of 14 min or so, he’s a frosh 4 coming in to play for time against a sr Race and junior Geronimo (with the poss of JG playing some wing) in the B1G, banging against vet PF’s. Ren is coming in used to playing around that with a loaded HS team. It’s a different animal with JHS coming in as a point/combo and Rob gone. 

But, how good are we going to be if he is good enough to compete for minutes? Every review of him I have seen talks about his excellent footwork. Bigs with that kind of footwork are generally pretty successful. It's going to be an intriguing summer and fall. The competition for playing time is going to be at a level we haven't seen in a long time.

35 minutes ago, Five Prime said:

Don't want to get too off subject, but Hulls was not a true PG.  It was a natural shift to play Yogi ar PG and Hulls at SG

Agree but he still took over for a senior PG that had led his team to the sweet 16. How many freshman come in and take over being the PG with a team that has Zeller, Victor, CWat, Hulls, Sheehy etc etc ?
My point is that a ton a freshman PG’s would have ridden the pine but highly ranked Yogi was given the keys. It wasn’t a “layup” that he became the starter as a freshman and hopefully one of the incoming highly touted freshmen  are also that talented. We will see. 

9 hours ago, cthomas said:

But, how good are we going to be if he is good enough to compete for minutes? Every review of him I have seen talks about his excellent footwork. Bigs with that kind of footwork are generally pretty successful. It's going to be an intriguing summer and fall. The competition for playing time is going to be at a level we haven't seen in a long time.

Good, lol. I’m sure he’ll compete for minutes, i’m sure he’ll play, but I don’t see him coming in as a frosh and stepping over Race and JG

On 5/22/2022 at 9:10 AM, btownqb said:

Love the mins distribution. We will be very good if we have 9 guys with those min averages. Tweaked at times in the big games, but otherwise we will be playing 9 guys a lot. 

I love the roster makeup, currently. 

9 rotational guys 

3 developing young dudes

1 Leal 

Hey btownqb, an authority on the subject that knows WAY more than us, TJD on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast, said in no uncertain terms that Anthony Leal "is gonna get a lot more playing time this (coming) year."

Im still leaning on Trey could potentially start and replace Kopp. Woodson loves Kopp as we all know but he’s got major flaws. 

Trey does as well, but Trey can play defense unlike Kopp and Trey can also create for others. He also has some instincts that he uses better than Kopp. Good problem for Woodson to have. 

Hood and Tamar will be fun. Woodson is hard headed so him trusting freshmen to contribute will be interesting to watch. Can Tamar take a leap on the defensive end this year? The ball stuck in his hands a lot this year and that can be fixed for sure, but he needs to buy in on defense. 

Johnson, Race, TJD absolutely starting. The development of Jordan will be interesting as well this summer. 

6 minutes ago, Trish said:

Im still leaning on Trey could potentially start and replace Kopp. Woodson loves Kopp as we all know but he’s got major flaws. 

Trey does as well, but Trey can play defense unlike Kopp and Trey can also create for others. He also has some instincts that he uses better than Kopp. Good problem for Woodson to have. 

Hood and Tamar will be fun. Woodson is hard headed so him trusting freshmen to contribute will be interesting to watch. Can Tamar take a leap on the defensive end this year? The ball stuck in his hands a lot this year and that can be fixed for sure, but he needs to buy in on defense. 

Johnson, Race, TJD absolutely starting. The development of Jordan will be interesting as well this summer. 

His issue is he’s not a 3 point shooter. We desperately need somebody that can shoot 3s. For me our 5th starter is whoever can shoot the best.  

6 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

His issue is he’s not a 3 point shooter. We desperately need somebody that can shoot 3s. For me our 5th starter is whoever can shoot the best.  

Well exactly, Trey not knowing how to shoot while being Indiana is crazy! 

But our best shooter (Leal) probably won’t sniff the floor unless he takes another level on the defensive end. Kopp, Bates, freshmen, will have to take steps this summer. 

After hearing podcast intell from Kenya and Trayce, I'm starting to think the most likely rotation will be:

Starters: Trayce, Race, Jordan, Tamar, X

Bench:

• JHS for X,
  • Malik for Race and Trayce, but Jordan bumps to the four some too.
  • Trey, Miller, and Anthony for Tamar and Jordan, and for Race when Jordan bumps up to the four.

That's ten in the rotation with CJ, Kaleb, and Logan on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey btownqb, an authority on the subject that knows WAY more than us, TJD on the Hoosier Hysterics podcast, said in no uncertain terms that Anthony Leal "is gonna get a lot more playing time this (coming) year."

He also has a massively biased opinion on AL lol 

I love Anthony, and want him on scholly at Indiana, but yeah... I don't believe that for a second. 

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He also has a massively biased opinion on AL lol 

I love Anthony, and want him on scholly at Indiana, but yeah... I don't believe that for a second. 

Tick toc, tick toc, time will tell (lol)

If Leal hits 2-3 in a row the first time he's on the floor, he'll see his minutes growing. His defense isn't as bad as many think. Sure a helluva lot better than Parker's was....just sayin'

43 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

After hearing podcast intell from Kenya and Trayce, I'm starting to think the most likely rotation will be:

Bench:

• JHS for X,
  • Trey, Miller, and Anthony for Tamar and Jordan, and for Race when Jordan bumps up to the four.

If Bates really has taken that leap I would believe it.  Kid oozes potential.  There’s not going to be a team we face that is more athletic and more experienced. We will always have one of those things on our side. 

That’s like 20 year combined in our starting line up.  With 2 five stars on the bench. 

40 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Bench:

• JHS for X,

JG on the ... wing ... WHAT?? WHAAATTT?? hahahaha (all in fun)

I can't wait to see how all of this pans out, a lot of potential for lineup moves, first time in a while. I'm sure TJD, Race and X start, but then JHS, Bates, JG, Kopp, imo, are the 4 who seem most likely to complete for the guard/wing starting spots, though JG also could continue off the bench for Race -- but that leaves competition for backup 4 between JG and Ren and I just don't see JG playing less than 18-20 and think his summer growth is going to be something, the way he finished the season. 

If Bates has made that jump to start over JHS coming in that will be something -- in all of the discussion of how both JHS and Ren are expected to start, Bates' talent coming in, adjustment to the college game, and expected soph jump is relevant imo. 3-level scorer coming in, bordeline 5 star. All deserved.

1 hour ago, Trish said:

Well exactly, Trey not knowing how to shoot while being Indiana is crazy! 

But our best shooter (Leal) probably won’t sniff the floor unless he takes another level on the defensive end. Kopp, Bates, freshmen, will have to take steps this summer. 

Leal hasn’t shown that he’s our best shooter or even an above average shooter at the college level. Through 2 seasons he’s shooting 30.8% from 3. Sure, it’s not high volume, but that’s not nearly good enough given his limitations. 

13 hours ago, cthomas said:

My answer= Very good. My concern is does he have a 6'11" game in a 6'7" body? He does look very capable in the few videos I've seen, but I'm simply skeptical of Freshman hype. 

16 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

My answer= Very good. My concern is does he have a 6'11" game in a 6'7" body? He does look very capable in the few videos I've seen, but I'm simply skeptical of Freshman hype. 

I agree that there are questions to be answered. The reason for my optimism is that he hasn't played against typical high school kids. The competition he faced, and played with, was at the highest level. That should make him farther along than the average freshman. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Technically, he could get a lot more playing time this year AND still not get a whole lot of playing time. 

Technically, he could get a lot more playing time this year AND still not get a whole lot of playing time. 
So true. Also, Leal logs most of his time in blowout wins. Maybe TJD is predicting us to blowout a lot of our opponents so that Leal gets more time on the floor.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

18 minutes ago, mbredenk101 said:

Maybe TJD is predicting us to blowout a lot of our opponents so that Leal gets more time on the floor. emoji3.png

Wouldn't THAT be a nice thing to happen !!

But Woody doesn't want to call 15-20 pts a blowout, so it probably needs to be 20+. (but I'm still hoping Leal does get a lot more minutes. He deserves a good shot.)