Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

23 hours ago, Aaron said:

In theory you are right, but if the Big Ten chops of a couple games and you did not the Gavitt Games a lot of teams would just schedule three cupcakes. Rather have 20 Big Ten games and Gavitt than the alternative.   

IMO, that’s fine if that’s what the team chooses to do.  It will hurt their SOS which the committee cares about, but that’s their decision.

Right now IU is locked into 20 conference games + an ACC opponent + typically a Big East opponent + a minimum of one game against a Big Ten opponent in the conference tournament.  That’s 23 mandated games.  Win the conference tourney and you are looking at a minimum of 25 mandated games.  To me, that’s a lot.  I’d prefer to cut back on a couple of conference games and have IU make the decision of scheduling a couple of more non-conference games against quality opponents.

57 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I prefer the prospect of Jalen Hood Schifino, Tamar Bates, Jordan Geronimo, Race Thompson, and either Logan Duncomb or a top-tier transfer against them.

With Leal, Banks, Galloway, and Durr off the bench

Race staying changes the whole conversation. I don't see it happening but will be thrilled if it does! 

6 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Race staying changes the whole conversation. I don't see it happening but will be thrilled if it does! 

I lean towards it happening.  IMO, it gives him the chance to garner more spotlight without TJD in a position of need.   And where is he going to go?  Overseas, transfer?  This is one I think has a higher probability.   The guard situation is tougher because those players have nowhere to go (besides graduating), but aren't really needed back much either.  

4 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I lean towards it happening.  IMO, it gives him the chance to garner more spotlight without TJD in a position of need.   And where is he going to go?  Overseas, transfer?  This is one I think has a higher probability.   The guard situation is tougher because those players have nowhere to go (besides graduating), but aren't really needed back much either.  

Hope so, I figured since he'll be almost 30 next year he'd want to move on! With NIL he might be able to make some $$ too. 

Agree.  Agree that the Gavitt games are silly — no one cares about them regionally or nationally and the big ten has nothing to gain and can only lose from it.
I know I’ve harped on it a lot, but still think the Big Ten conference schedule should be whittled to 18 and start in January.  Gives time in the schedule to put a Kansas type game without being mixed in conference play.
Did I just read an agreement between LCS and brumdog? Must be the Christmas spirit settling in.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Hope so, I figured since he'll be almost 30 next year he'd want to move on! With NIL he might be able to make some $$ too. 

Race says what are you talking about.  He was originally an '18 but graduated in August '17 to enroll at IU.  He's nowhere close to being 30 next year.

39 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ranked 194 in NET.  When the **** will we learn our lesson

But Bellarmine is tough!  They keep winning arguably the worst non-HBCU conference in the country (and it's only gonna get worse with two more D-II schools joining, making the conference look even more inept).

2 hours ago, Josh said:

We did have a strong noncon SOS two seasons ago when your boy was running things. We need to get back to a noncon that features marquee games while playing solid mid- and low-major teams. The mostly cupcake noncon needs to go.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Let's say we kept the schedule for next year.

The single replacement of Bellarmine for Merrimack (who wasn't the worst team on our schedule, just the one that I think would most likely to be have been dropped) would have put our SOS 20 to 25 better than it was.  Replacing a Butler (which we would have played next year in the crossroads classic) with Kansas who drop probably 50 to 60 spots from last year.  So the only two changes we know about would predict to already have a pretty decent effect on SOS. (if you want to use Notre Dame instead of Butler, it's probably 45 to 50 spots).

There (unfortunately) is an art to manipulating your SOS.  I don't like it, but it is what it is.  Biggest key seems to be replacing your 300 POM/NET games with 200 POM/NET.  That helps your SOS more than replacing a 50 with a 10.  Assuming Bellarmine would be at about 200 next year and Merrimack was a 300, it is very much likely that will have a bigger effect on lowering your SOS than changing from Notre Dame to Kansas does.

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

We did have a strong noncon SOS two seasons ago when your boy was running things. We need to get back to a noncon that features marquee games while playing solid mid- and low-major teams. The mostly cupcake noncon needs to go.

You are correct.  If you play 11 non-conference games with 4 against a 40 POM and the other 7 against a 200 POM, the median POM team you will have played would be about 140.  Illinois had a mean POM non-conference opponent of 148 this year and their non-conference SOS was 119.

Bottom line, you don't even have to play the best teams (although I'd like a couple).  Just don't play the worst.  No Howards, no Prairie Views.  I know you can't always tell the future, but there are certainly teams with red flags to avoid on your schedule and certain programs that have provide a stable but not necessarily spectacular record.  Bellarmine is a safe bet to be around 200 on NET/POM.  The worst opponent we put on the schedule this year wasn't the worst team.....it was Jackson State, which had a POM of 277.  Their history tells you that 277 is kind of about as good as they'll be.

3 hours ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

But Bellarmine is tough!  They keep winning arguably the worst non-HBCU conference in the country (and it's only gonna get worse with two more D-II schools joining, making the conference look even more inept).

It's important to look at who played them -- Purdue, Murray State, St. Mary's, Gonzaga, UCLA, and West Virginia.  Those teams did it because the know it helps their SOS.  Bellarmine lost all of those games and the closest they came was 9 points.  This was a perfect result for the teams that put them on their schedule.....they played a team that had little chance of beating them but might compete for awhile and at the same time it was much better to play them than a total cupcake because of the SOS element.

21 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

You are correct.  If you play 11 non-conference games with 4 against a 40 POM and the other 7 against a 200 POM, the median POM team you will have played would be about 140.  Illinois had a mean POM non-conference opponent of 148 this year and their non-conference SOS was 119.

Bottom line, you don't even have to play the best teams (although I'd like a couple).  Just don't play the worst.  No Howards, no Prairie Views.  I know you can't always tell the future, but there are certainly teams with red flags to avoid on your schedule and certain programs that have provide a stable but not necessarily spectacular record.  Bellarmine is a safe bet to be around 200 on NET/POM.  The worst opponent we put on the schedule this year wasn't the worst team.....it was Jackson State, which had a POM of 277.  Their history tells you that 277 is kind of about as good as they'll be.

This is nothing new. The marquee games have less to do with noncon SOS and more to do with fans and program status. We could finagle the noncon schedule to play next to nobody and still have a good SOS. I've detailed it in years past but the layout should look something like 5-6 games against teams we have zero business losing again (200+), 2-3 games against solid teams (75-199 ish), and 2-4 marquee games some will include the Big 1.o/ACC Challenge and Gavitt Tipoff but 1 or 2 should be standing home/home against "rivals."