Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

2022-23 IUBB Schedule

6 hours ago, Josh said:

So apparently we have not learned our lesson when everybody is telling me what a good thing this is.  Yeesh

What we said was that if it replaces a true cupcake, it is a good thing.  357 teams last year had schedules that had at least one team that had a POM rating below Bellarmine's.  Only 1 didn't.

47 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

What we said was that if it replaces a true cupcake, it is a good thing.  357 teams last year had schedules that had at least one team that had a POM rating below Bellarmine's.  Only 1 didn't.

That's quite optimistic of you.  Good for you.

On 12/14/2021 at 11:46 AM, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It gives you hardly any room to make a schedule. ACC-B1G device who you play. B1G-BE decide who you play. We thankfully ended the trash Crossroads Classic. Forcing two events as a conference is ridiculous. Then have 20 conference games. The Big Ten has an insane amount of control of the teams schedule. And the Gravitt Games are a complete joke. 

In my opinion, this has to be the worst opinion I’ve seen on IU’s schedule (or the B1G for that matter that I’ve seen) ever. Gotta play the games and gotta beat the Teams you play. You can’t cherry pick every single opponent. Playing a team in the Big East should be a good winnable game on the resume. Another good game from the ACC. Who cares who it is?

Totally random thought: since we had been playing Butler every other year until now, they were never our opponent in any of the Gavitt games. What are the chances that since we ended the Crossroads Classic, we somehow get stuck playing at Butler next season? 

4 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

A true cupcake would be IUPUI.  Though Utah State had the 358th overall strength of schedule, for anyone curious about which team you're referring to.

4 hours ago, Josh said:

No, it’s being realistic.  Our marquee games this past year were Syracuse, Notre Dame, and St.John’s.  Notre Dame was replaced by Kansas.  St. John’s and Syracuse were assigned games and they’ll be assigned next year.  Basically by default Bellarmine will be replacing a worse team on our schedule.  

46 minutes ago, IUFootballEndlessMisery said:

A true cupcake would be IUPUI.  Though Utah State had the 358th overall strength of schedule, for anyone curious about which team you're referring to.

If you reread my post, I said 357 tens played a team worse than Bellarmine on their non conference schedule.  So the 1 team I am referring to that didn’t had every team in their non conference better than Bellarmine — that’s definitely not Utah State.  The team I am referring to is Alabama.

5 hours ago, Josh said:

Why are you so bent out of shape about one game on a future schedule that isn’t even confirmed? You referenced their NET of 194 from this season. I think we had 5 non- conference opponents this season with a NET significantly worse than that. Do you think every opponent is going to be top 100? Get a grip.

1 hour ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Why are you so bent out of shape about one game on a future schedule that isn’t even confirmed? You referenced their NET of 194 from this season. I think we had 5 non- conference opponents this season with a NET significantly worse than that. Do you think every opponent is going to be top 100? Get a grip.

I don't know about NET, but we had 6 teams (one was cancelled) that we were scheduled to play in non-conference last year with a worse POM rating than Bellarmine.  The average POM of the five teams was 286.  Bellarmine was 200.  Replaced a 286 with a 200 definitely moves your SOS up.  And replacing Notre Dame or Butler with Kansas will do the same.

10 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

No, it’s being realistic.  Our marquee games this past year were Syracuse, Notre Dame, and St.John’s.  Notre Dame was replaced by Kansas.  St. John’s and Syracuse were assigned games and they’ll be assigned next year.  Basically by default Bellarmine will be replacing a worse team on our schedule.  

Were all of the rest of our opponents ranked lower than 194?  Or are you assuming that Team 194 will only replace an opponent ranked lower than that?

It's an optimistic view.  Not that it's bad to have that optimism, I just don't share it.  Our pre-conference schedule has been too soft for too long and we've paid for it for too long.

10 hours ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Bent out of shape??

13t2OTCFzCqJbO.gif

5 minutes ago, Josh said:

Were all of the rest of our opponents ranked lower than 194?  Or are you assuming that Team 194 will only replace an opponent ranked lower than that?

It's an optimistic view.  Not that it's bad to have that optimism, I just don't share it.  Our pre-conference schedule has been too soft for too long and we've paid for it for too long.

What have we paid? 

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

The NCCA tournament committee dings us off our strength of schedule.  We need to improve it immensely.  

I realize that. But what have we paid or what have we lost? 

We need to improve immensely before we worry about the schedule. The schedule was perfect this past season. It fit our team. 

Just now, btownqb said:

We need to improve immensely before we worry about the schedule. The schedule was perfect this past season. It fit our team. 

Not really. Look at a UM, 17-14 and we beat them in the B1G and finish with a stronger overall record and we play in the play in and they get an 11, mostly bc of who they played - not who they beat. They lost most of their games to the better teams but were rewarded highly for their SOS. 

We do need to improve for sure, especially outside shooting and actually using the perimeter, but even replacing just a few of the real low SOS teams with teams like Bellar improves our SOS a lot. I guess we’re all talking degrees and aren’t really disagreeing (imo), but a Bellar is a step in improving our odds

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

The NCCA tournament committee dings us off our strength of schedule.  We need to improve it immensely.  

The guy before can be criticized for a lot of things when it comes to coaching at IU but his non conference scheduling wouldn’t be one of them.   In his 4 years 3 of 4 was in the top 100 and the 4th one was under 200 for non conference SOS.  This years non con sos was on another level of bad.   Crean level Sos 

3 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Not really. Look at a UM, 17-14 and we beat them in the B1G and finish with a stronger overall record and we play in the play in and they get an 11, mostly bc of who they played - not who they beat. They lost most of their games to the better teams but were rewarded highly for their SOS. 

We do need to improve for sure, especially outside shooting and actually using the perimeter, but even replacing just a few of the real low SOS teams with teams like Bellar improves our SOS a lot. I guess we’re all talking degrees and aren’t really disagreeing (imo), but a Bellar is a step in improving our odds

I'm not talking about BU. I'm talking about Josh saying our schedule essentially has sucked for years and it seemed like he was making it seem like that was the reason we didn't make the tourney until now. 

"We have paid for it"--- no we haven't. We just haven't been any good to begin with. 

And there is wayyyy more to it then looking at it opponent by opponent. Our specific team/needs did not align with a tough non conf schedule this season. I think that would have been disastrous and could have been detrimental for the rest of the season. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm not talking about BU. I'm talking about Josh saying our schedule essentially has sucked for years and it seemed like he was making it seem like that was the reason we didn't make the tourney until now. 

"We have paid for it"--- no we haven't. We just haven't been any good to begin with. 

And there is wayyyy more to it then looking at it opponent by opponent. Our specific team/needs did not align with a tough non conf schedule this season. I think that would have been disastrous and could have been detrimental for the rest of the season. 

I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not sure what Josh meant, i thought we were talking about how adding a Bellar can make a real difference in improving SOS, that was Brum’s point as I understood it.

For me we all get somewhat over focused on how bad we’ve been, because that was TC’s last season and all of CAM’s. CAM was terrible. TC did have us winning B1G titles and getting back to SW16’s - he wasn’t the right guy long term, couldn’t build consistency bc he’d build for 1-2 seasons and then have bad classes and a poor bench, but wr weren’t terrible then, we were just inconsistent. All of it stems from Sampsongate and the complete destruction of the program, but we took a big step forward to climbing the ladder back this season - now we need to strengthen the schedule 

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I can see where you’re coming from. I’m not sure what Josh meant, i thought we were talking about how adding a Bellar can make a real difference in improving SOS, that was Brum’s point as I understood it.

For me we all get somewhat over focused on how bad we’ve been, because that was TC’s last season and all of CAM’s. CAM was terrible. TC did have us winning B1G titles and getting back to SW16’s - he wasn’t the right guy long term, couldn’t build consistency bc he’d build for 1-2 seasons and then have bad classes and a poor bench, but wr weren’t terrible then, we were just inconsistent. All of it stems from Sampsongate and the complete destruction of the program, but we took a big step forward to climbing the ladder back this season - now we need to strengthen the schedule 

Yes, I agree with like all that. I'm good with a bump up in the schedule... just don't think we need to go full UNC in the non conference. 

I get that the tourney rewards those teams. I just didnt believe with the newness and all that with the staff and so many news players, a tough non conf schedule was a good route for us, this season. 

A tougher Big East school and a better team in challenge would help quite a bit too!!