Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

9 minutes ago, cleeter said:

I’m trying to decipher what Liam could mean by “don’t go backwards” in his tweet to DQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took it as, ....in Liam's opinion.....Choosing IU was the best, most NBA prep option, so don't regress and play for Maryland. JMO

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think this is an emergency visit by the Maryland staff today. Dude was just on their campus 72 hours ago. He very well may go to Maryland but it's not a done deal. IU is a real threat. And as somebody else mentioned first, Liam gets the last visit. 

Someone connected alluded that a certain team may or may not have stubbed their toe on recent OV this past weekend. Then Woody and Kenya visit. Next a Trilly bomb drops and now we have a commitment date set. I don’t want to get my hopes up but that’s some crazy coincidences and as Trilly says, there are no coincidences in recruiting. What is odd is that Houston seems to be out of the running when they were reported to be visiting today. This newsleak is very odd.

4 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think this is an emergency visit by the Maryland staff today. Dude was just on their campus 72 hours ago. He very well may go to Maryland but it's not a done deal. IU is a real threat. And as somebody else mentioned first, Liam gets the last visit. 

The talk on Peegs was that Maryland might have messed up on his OV over the weekend with him

11 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Maybe Maryland realized they'd have to do better with NIL so made the trip.

7 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

Any Indication on what the mess up was?

I have no reason to believe they messed up, but the opportunities to mess up during a visit are truly endless. Some player makes an off-handed joke that his parents hear, the assistant coach contradicts the coach when they're not together, some player acts like a jackass or backtalks the coach during practice, some fan says something really offensive...endless opportunities to not have it go as well as it could.

That's why it s so important to have a long-standing relationship with the school and staff.

I'm pretty much with Demo; since Queen has been there a million times it would be hard for some visit screwup to change the already baked-in impressions he has of the school.

1 minute ago, Demo said:

Maryland didn’t screw up their visit. He’s been on campus a zillion times. They’ve watched him in person probably more than anyone. Mike Jones is Mr DMV and a total freaking shark.  If IU wins this one it’s because they did everything right. And they could do everything right and the kid still decides he wants to play with the other DMV kids at Maryland. This would be a hell of a pull.

Hopefully we have some good luck come Friday, but I’m just going to assume it’s Maryland when he commits 

17 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He's from Baltimore but left there to go to Monteverde and maybe he's saying don't go backwards back to Baltimore. No idea

My first thought was it being a little shot at Boogie, a roundabout way of saying, “don’t go back on your word.”

If so, yeah buddy!

3 minutes ago, GnarlyTimGarl said:

I have always found it puzzling how many have believed Maryland to be the clear leader in this recruitment for so long. I get that is where he's from but he's played in Florida for prep ball the last two years so it's not like he has no desire to leave home. Didn't the original assistant at Maryland for whom he had a close relationship already leave a while back which opened things up a bit? Also, I am almost positive I read somewhere  (can't remember where but it was on an IU fan site) that Queen actually chose to stay with McNeeley and his family at some point over the summer instead of going back home. If, and that's a big if, that is true then it tells us two things. 1) Once again, he's not a kid that appears to have an overwhelming desire to return home whenever possible. 2) His relationship with McNeeley is more than a teammate and more in the territory of a good friend.

He may go to Maryland. But the recruiting analysts have always said Maryland is out front but then say things have always been tight-lipped in Queen's circle. If the latter is true, how do they know the former is really accurate? My guess, and Trilly alluded to this, is that they really didn't have a close read on this to begin with. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear if when this is all said and done that IU was actually out front for a quite some time. But who knows?

Correct Queen did stay with Liam all summer long instead of going home. Also if I'm not mistaken Maryland has missed on all of the other 24 recruits they were interested in. So going to play with Liam sounds better than going to play at Maryland by yourself

All I know is recruiting is only place where 'stealing' is not a crime. LOL. Coaches steal prospects from each other all the time legally. Any other business stealing gets you in legal trouble. 

I hope IU can do to Maryland what UK did to IU with Boogie. However, being back in the big time recruiting has reminded us all it is a dirty business with all these top prospects being enticed to change mind at last minute.

Glad IU is playing the game again but recruiting definitely involves doing things that would be questionable in any other line of society.