Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

The Player That Defines Each IUBB Era

A little off-season brain food. Name the single player that defines each IUBB coaching era. The player who, when you describe the player's game, would also exactly describe the entire coaching era. Let's do it for:

• Knight
  • Davis
  • Sampson
  • Crean
  • Miller
  • Woodson (too soon?)

I'm leaving out McCracken and Watson, but if Old Fart or cthomas want to take a stab at them...go for it!

Does NOT have to be the best player from an era-- we're shooting for the player that best encapsulates the coaching era, and why.

Knight: Quinn Buckner-- Hard nosed and supremely disciplined, with enough talent to put the team over the top.

Davis: Marshall Strickland--Looked great on paper, but frustrating that he never turned out the way it seemed it should have.

Sampson: JaMarcus Ellis--Disciplined and over-achieving on the court, a train wreck off the court.

Crean: Troy Williams--Plenty of talent to win a title but manic, unpredictable results, and hanging on by a thread off-court. 

Miller: Rob Phinisee (with the jury out still)--Such a  great representative of the university, but played too tight to ever produce offense. 

Woodson: Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Knight:  Can't argue with Stu's pick of Buckner but Isiah didn't become referred to as the baby faced assassin for nothing.  

Davis:   Whole era was underwhelming. 

Sampson:  I boycotted this era in its entirety.

Crean:  Troy hands down but had Crean not been fired, Devonte would have ended up a close second.

Miller:  Although he only stayed 2 years, I'll go with Damezi because he came with lots of hype but never produced results.  And I'd also include Jerome Hunter at this point in time for the same reason the results haven't nearly matched the hype.

I'll play

• Knight -- Going with Alford. No fear, ego without bounds, talent to match his ego, a winner no matter what.
  • Davis -- Going with Bracey Wright - out of state recruit, talented but undisciplined, maybe underappreciated
  • Sampson - I'll go with Arman Basset for same reasons, seriously talented, no interest in academics, left IU after Sampson and took his next team, Ohio, to the tourney, also MVP of the 2010 MAC tourney
  • Crean - I like Troy here
  • Miller - Either Rob or Lander, talented, lost on offense (and won't be, imo, under Woody)
  • Woodson (too soon?) I think Bates is going to be Woody personified on the court - dynamic player, on BOTH ends, offensively attacking and pulling up to rain threes off the bounce, downhill in transition, and a flat out winner

I'll take a shot at McCracken and Watson. For McCracken I'm going with Jimmy Rayl. He was the definition of the Hurryin Hoosiers. Was in range anywhere across the time line. Considered the VanArsdale twins as well. So many great players though to be fair my memory only goes back to about the Archie Dees period. Don't really remember Slick Leonard or he may have been my choice. 

As far as Watson is concerned, I think I'll go George McGinnis. He was part of a great class that never, to me, lived up to their potential. I think that may have lead to his demise as coach. All of this goes with the caveat that I'm pushing the limits of my memory here. Others with first-hand knowledge of that time period may have other/better choices.

I think I'd rather have gone by decade than by coach.  Knight was here for 30 years, how can you find one player?

70's...Scott May

80's...Steve Alford

90's...Calbeft Chraney

00''s...Jared Jeffries?  DJ White?

10's...?  Not sure...it's been a rough decade

You can't have Rob Phinisee anywhere near this list imo.  He's one of the worst players to ever wear the candystripes.

I think there are multiples for most of the coaches really...

Knight- Alford, Cheaney, Scott, Buckner, Zeke... All highly talented and wanted to do nothing but win and grow as men. 

Davis- Bracey Wright. It's really the only option. 

Sampson- Gordon and the drug dealer and pimp. He was going to get ultra talented guys without a doubt.. and also get some of the low character guys as well. 

Crean- Cody Zeller, Victor Oladipo, Tim Priller. Big time recruit that made us great just like Yogi and Bryant. An ultra completive worker that did nothing but get better. And a random guy that was a massive WTF.

Archie- Justin Smith. No shooting. Some highs. Lots of lows. Got in the way of himself. 

I'll play
  • Knight -- Going with Alford. No fear, ego without bounds, talent to match his ego, a winner no matter what.
  • Davis -- Going with Bracey Wright - out of state recruit, talented but undisciplined, maybe underappreciated
  • Sampson - I'll go with Arman Basset for same reasons, seriously talented, no interest in academics, left IU after Sampson and took his next team, Ohio, to the tourney, also MVP of the 2010 MAC tourney
  • Crean - I like Troy here
  • Miller - Either Rob or Lander, talented, lost on offense (and won't be, imo, under Woody)
  • Woodson (too soon?) I think Bates is going to be Woody personified on the court - dynamic player, on BOTH ends, offensively attacking and pulling up to rain threes off the bounce, downhill in transition, and a flat out winner

I’m not sure I can best this.

Agree on Alford for Knight, same reasons.

Agree on Bracey, same reasons.

Sampson-Gotta be Eric Gordon. Both only at IU a hot second. Both incredibly talented. Both a sign of how things could be.

Crean-Troy is a perfect fit. Offensive firepower. ADHD type mentality.
However Yogi might be a fair fit too. Both were fighters. Both embraced underdog role. Both well heralded but didn’t always live up to expectations. (Not a knock on Yogi). Great career. Great kid.

Archie-Rob Phinisee at this point. Defensive minded. Offensively confused. Small in stature. Tough mentally. Landed after a few recruiting misses. Men of few words.

Woodson-Far too early. But Tamar Bates as his lone recruit makes all the sense in the world. TJD even though an Archie recruit might have some Woodson qualities about himself. If he wins BIG POY this year, and we have a good season, Woodson could stake his claim.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Knight--Quinn Buckner--total team player, coach-on-the-floor, helped lead IU to two Final Fours and a 63-1 record over his final two years. Knight sought perfection and with Buckner as team captain he found it.

Davis--Jared Jeffries--Davis' best players were recruited when Knight was the coach.

Sampson--Eric Gordon--Gordon's IU career was brief and so was Sampson's coaching tenure at IU. Promising but could have been more.

Crean--Victor Oladipo--Crean was always searching for diamond in the rough players.  A few, like Oladipo and OG Anunoby, actually were. 

Miller--Romeo Langford--Romeo like Archie Miller came in with much fanfare but he didn't end up bringing the great team success for IU that many predicted he would.

Woodson--Too early to tell. Woodson as a recruit was undervalued. As a player, he displayed great shooting skill and high motor. As an NBA coach, his teams showed cohesion and great energy. We shall what player exhibits these qualities.

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

A little off-season brain food. Name the single player that defines each IUBB coaching era. The player who, when you describe the player's game, would also exactly describe the entire coaching era. Let's do it for:

• Knight
  • Davis
  • Sampson
  • Crean
  • Miller
  • Woodson (too soon?)

I'm leaving out McCracken and Watson, but if Old Fart or cthomas want to take a stab at them...go for it!

Does NOT have to be the best player from an era-- we're shooting for the player that best encapsulates the coaching era, and why.

Knight-----Steve Alford,  an arrogant pompous arsz just like Bobby.

Davis---Tom Coverdale, kid played with a chip on his shoulder and Davis sure as heck had one on his.

Sampson---Eric Gordon, multi talented that could play anywhere much like Kelvin could coach anywhere.

Crean---Troy Williams, just couldn't harness his talent like his coach.

Miller---Phinisee, always leaves me scratching my head like the coach.

Woodson---TBD...je parle Francais un petite peu

13 hours ago, Josh said:

I think I'd rather have gone by decade than by coach.  Knight was here for 30 years, how can you find one player?

70's...Scott May

80's...Steve Alford

90's...Calbeft Chraney

00''s...Jared Jeffries?  DJ White?

10's...?  Not sure...it's been a rough decade

You can't have Rob Phinisee anywhere near this list imo.  He's one of the worst players to ever wear the candystripes.

I think you may need to re-read the purpose of this thread.  Rob works as a representative for Miller for many of the reasons stated by other members.  

Knight:  Buckner

Davis:  Robert Vaden.  Could play but never really fit in.  Left.

Sampson:  JaMarcus Ellis

Crean:  Verdell Jones.  Started out with a horrible team, left when they were decent.  So he was around for good and bad and contributed to both.

Miller:  Justin Smith.  Miller never did figure out how to play him or get him to buy in.

Woodson:  Right now, TJD since he got him to stay.

Knight: Quinn Buckner-- Hard nosed and supremely disciplined, with enough talent to put the team over the top.
Davis: Marshall Strickland--Looked great on paper, but frustrating that he never turned out the way it seemed it should have.
Sampson: JaMarcus Ellis--Disciplined and over-achieving on the court, a train wreck off the court.
Crean: Troy Williams--Plenty of talent to win a title but manic, unpredictable results, and hanging on by a thread off-court. 
Miller: Rob Phinisee (with the jury out still)--Such a  great representative of the university, but played too tight to ever produce offense. 
Woodson: Laissez les bon temps rouler!

Well done. When I first saw the thread, I thought. Now Strickland is the guy in the Davis era. JaMarcus was a very good one for Sampson.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Uwe Blab didn't represent his Era, but I came across this article from the local paper on his decision to play at Indiana while doing some Genealogy research.
On a side note, he played for the Effingham Hearts who was one of our 2 biggest rivals. We had just graduated 2 7 footers(one my cousin) the last 2 years, so when he played against us the first time, our chant was "we don't import, we grow our own". I was a sophomore his first season at Effingham.

I don't know if you will be able to read the article, but thought it was interesting. d222737350ec368ad38404f68e74b5bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk