Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saying we lost a particular recruit because school 'x' dropped $$ without any concrete evidence smacks of sour grapes to me.  Easy way out to say it was all due to money when there are so many other factors involved.  Never going to land every recruit we target.  If Noah does indeed select Alabama I'll wish him nothing but the best.  Great kid with a great family.  Some of you.........!

And by "dropping $$",  that now means 'absolutely within the rules' NIL payments.

Because if we're losing recruits in part to better NIL models with our fan base and alumni base, we oughta up our NIL game.

5 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

I’m not sure how anyone is spinning this as anything but a huge loss. It’s a position of need, and a guy we invested a ton of time and energy into. I realize the sun will still go up tomorrow, but this is not great.

True IF we miss out in the portal.  It does seem like IU is always cursed when it comes to landing big men.  Sure we gotten some good ones but never really had more than one at a time.  PU, WI, MSU, OSU, IA, etc all seem to have 4 guys who are 6'10"+ and can play every single year.

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Saying we lost a particular recruit because school 'x' dropped $$ without any concrete evidence smacks of sour grapes to me.  Easy way out to say it was all due to money when there are so many other factors involved.  Never going to land every recruit we target.  If Noah does indeed select Alabama I'll wish him nothing but the best.  Great kid with a great family.  Some of you.........!

I think when people go all in on how we're going to get a recruit that we lose out on, they have to to come up with a reason why they were wrong that wasn't their fault 

4 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

True IF we miss out in the portal.  It does seem like IU is always cursed when it comes to landing big men.  Sure we gotten some good ones but never really had more than one at a time.  PU, WI, MSU, OSU, IA, etc all seem to have 4 guys who are 6'10"+ and can play every single year.

Sure they do. How do they do in the tournament? The answer is not well because guards and wings win in the tournament. IU needs a couple of bigs that can rebound, play defense, and hit some easy baskets. Playmakers win games and Woody is trying to go away from the traditional team construction of the big ten that has multiple bigs who are the teams best players. 

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

And by "dropping $$",  that now means 'absolutely within the rules' NIL payments.

Because if we're losing recruits to better NIL models with our fan base and alumni base, we oughta up our NIL game.

I did find the tweet that IU basketball put out yesterday about NIL interesting in it's timing. 

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Everybody say it with me: "It's not who we miss out on, it's who we get."

So ... Noah Clowney would be a great 'get.' But if he doesn't pop for IU he becomes irrelevant, and the big man that is added to the class becomes the one that matters.

Exactly. It doesn't matter who you are you aren't going to land every recruit that you target. 

I just checked on of the Alabama boards that’s not for football, and they are saying one of their sources is saying they could land more than one recruit today and the other sources is one of the many IU boards insiders that say Clowney to Bama! So who really knows!

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Everybody say it with me: "It's not who we miss out on, it's who we get."

So ... if Noah Clowney pops for IU today (and that is still entirely possible) he would be a great 'get.'

But if he doesn't pop for IU he becomes irrelevant, and the big man that is added to the class becomes the one that matters.

Yep ... 

normandalememe.jpg

12 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

This reminds me of too many of our recruiting attempts over the past few years. 

Two months before he announces? We got him. 

A month before he announces? We got him. 

Two weeks before he announces? We got him. 

A week before he announces? We got him. 

The day he announces? We ... don't got him. 

Well, yeah.  At least we didn't have claims that he was about to sign early and then feel strung along for several months before losing out (Kaufman).

These are all reasons why it's silly to get too invested in individual recruiting battles.  It's always interesting when the name of a lost recruit comes up a year or two later and they've failed to live up to expectations - it's largely a crap shoot.  You want to get your share of ranked recruits but I'm not sure you can know at the time which ones are best or will be the best fit.

I DO feel better about recruiting with this staff.  Matta alone brings enough experience and savvy to our recruiting strategy to give me that confidence.

1 hour ago, reconmkd said:

I just checked on of the Alabama boards that’s not for football, and they are saying one of their sources is saying they could land more than one recruit today and the other sources is one of the many IU boards insiders that say Clowney to Bama! So who really knows!

Yeah Brandon Miller is the other one. He's been trending towards Bama for a while. 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Zagoria's Tweet from one hour ago. Note: it was the easiest prediction of the three, but he is one for one -- Bona just popped for UCLA.

The confidence with which Zagoria gets things wrong makes him a great follow. But, he’s 1 for 1 today. Bona picked UCLA.

By the way, it could still be VT. Cause mama Clowney liked a VT season preview Tweet only three days ago -- after the Bama visit.

Summary -- it's a three team race and I haven't seen anything that makes me strongly lean to any one of the three teams. There are VT message board posters that seem to think that as of today this is still a VT/IU decision.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Because if we're losing recruits in part to better NIL models with our fan base and alumni base, we oughta up our NIL game.

Exactly... If it comes down to $$$, Indiana basketball should blow Alabama basketball out of the water. If we lose out because of $$$ when that's now totally appropriate through NIL, what are we even doing?

4 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Josh said: "I wish recruiting can go back to the day when you found out about your recruiting class on signing day." 

________

It has not been that way for at least 50 years. I've been following IU and college basketball closely since before the Knight era. There were always rumors and speculation swirling about where the most coveted players would go. There was no Internet then,. but newspaper reporters and sports magazines wrote about recruiting extensively.

I remember the first time I heard what our 89 class was reading it in the Indy Star on signing day.  That class was probably the top class IU has ever had.