Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - PF Noah Clowney to Alabama

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I remember the first time I heard what our 89 class was reading it in the Indy Star on signing day.  That class was probably the top class IU has ever had.

The speculation about whether George McGinnis and Steve Downing would play for IU went on for a year after their high school coach Jerry Oliver left Indianapolis Washington to become IU coach Lou Watson's assistant. Eventually they announced together that they would. Steve Alford announced he would attend IU almost immediately after Knight offered him a scholarship. Many many players committed to their chosen schools in advance of any signing deadline in years past. It's fun to talk about how great things used to be but often they weren't the way we would like to remember them.

24 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

The speculation about whether George McGinnis and Steve Downing would play for IU went on for a year after their high school coach Jerry Oliver left Indianapolis Washington to become IU coach Lou Watson's assistant. Eventually they announced together that they would. Steve Alford announced he would attend IU almost immediately after Knight offered him a scholarship. Many many players committed to their chosen schools in advance of any signing deadline in years past. It's fun to talk about how great things used to be but often they weren't the way we would like to remember them.

I am just saying it was not in the public eye lime it is today. I was a senior in 89 and a huge college basketball fan but didn't hear about that recruiting class until signing day.

I agree. Obviously, the coverage is much more intense today than in previous eras. Nonetheless, the statement that fans did not know who would commit to a program until signing day is inaccurate. Those who were paying attention knew. Most of the class of 1989 except Lawrence Funderburke announced their commitment to IU prior to the signing date. Greg Graham committed immediately after receiving an offer from Coach Knight. Of course, offers were not routinely made years in advance when players are freshmen and sophomores as they are today. So, yes, it was a different time and recruiting was different. But many players committed well in advance of the signing deadline.

How soon after he announces to Alabama, if he does which is looking like. Do IU fans(not necessarily this board) start saying we didn't want him, he was overrated or Woody can't recruit and start jumping off the ledge. I find it hilarious the way some act when IU loses a recruit. I firmly believe Woody is better than Archie or even Crean

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What is bad he will get credit for a correct pick even though he changed it at the lady minute.

Zags doesn’t work for 247 or rivals so he doesn’t really officially do the CB or Forecast picks.   He just puts his predictions on Twitter.  

Getting Clowney would have been clutch and losing him to a school like Alabama is super concerning.  But at the end of the day I believe that successful teams are going to be the ones that get people thru the transfer portal.  So we need to have a great year and then bring in a talented player whose HC gets fired or got recruited over 

Getting Clowney would have been clutch and losing him to a school like Alabama is super concerning.  But at the end of the day I believe that successful teams are going to be the ones that get people thru the transfer portal.  So we need to have a great year and then bring in a talented player whose HC gets fired or got recruited over 
Why concerning? Yes IU was perceived in the lead, but no one gets every great player. This isn't Archie or Crean

Just now, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Why concerning? Yes IU was perceived in the lead, but no one gets every great player. This isn't Archie or Crean

How do we know it’s not Archie or Crean. They started with one miss as well. 

9 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

How soon after he announces to Alabama, if he does which is looking like. Do IU fans(not necessarily this board) start saying we didn't want him, he was overrated or Woody can't recruit and start jumping off the ledge. I find it hilarious the way some act when IU loses a recruit. I firmly believe Woody is better than Archie or even Crean

I've been disappointed many times, but I think the only time I was really critical of the coach/staff was when Brooks kept delaying then picked uk - I truly believe the staff took their foot off the pedal and quit looking at other players believing he was "in the bag".

But yes there will be those types of comments.

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Losing a kid from SEC country to an SEC team is super concerning?   Not sure if people are paying attention but the  Bama basketball program is rolling right now.   They have 2 recruiters that are considered some of the best in the game.    I would bet that Bama 2022 class ends up being top 3 and ahead of Kentucky’s 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

How do we know it’s not Archie or Crean. They started with one miss as well. 

You're just looking for a reason to be concerned. Woody landed the transfers and Bates. Then missed on Taylor and Filipowski and everyone freaked out. Then they went on to land JHS, Banks, and kept Gunn committed. All while not even playing a game yet. There's no reason to be concerned at this point in time. Now if they miss on Cupps, Little, Booker, and others then feel free to be concerned. 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Losing a kid from SEC country to an SEC team is super concerning?   Not sure if people are paying attention but the  Bama basketball program is rolling right now.   They have 2 recruiters that are considered some of the best in the game.    I would bet that Bama 2022 class ends up being top 3 and ahead of Kentucky’s 

Oats and Musselman are big problems for Calipari.

The B1G has always had rotating teams as the king of the hill. UK is not used to being just one of three or four that have the horses for a conference title. 

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

You're just looking for a reason to be concerned. Woody landed the transfers and Bates. Then missed on Taylor and Filipowski and everyone freaked out. Then they went on to land JHS, Banks, and kept Gunn committed. All while not even playing a game yet. There's no reason to be concerned at this point in time. Now if they miss on Cupps, Little, Booker, and others then feel free to be concerned. 

Agreed, though I will say that I don't see anyone freaking out. We oughta win our share of games this year, and once we do, I don't see Woody, Fife, Matta, Ya, and Kenya letting opportunities go to waste.

4 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Something being concerning and being concerned are different.  We just lost a kid that really we shouldn’t have lost now that it’s not against the rules to pay players.  A position of need where his role in the team couldn’t be more obvious.  

Not getting your primary options is a death sentence in college basketball 

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed, though I will say that I don't see anyone freaking out. We oughta win our share of games this year, and once we do, I don't see Woody, Fife, Matta, Ya, and Kenya letting opportunities go to waste.

Freaking out was probably an exaggeration but there are plenty of people on multiple message boards that feel like they should be concerned by missing on Clowney.