Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iubb

Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

I’m going to be walking to the bank with Archie Miller laughing if this turns out to be the hire. 

Oh Indiana Basketball.. 
So you won't be back if it goes ridiculously great?

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, rcs29 said:

So you won't be back if it goes ridiculously great?

I’m pretty stern on keeping my word. But I’d be willing to bet it’s not going to be great.
My great is different from your great perhaps. We can hire Steve Alford tonight and be in a Sweet 16 in 4 years. That’s great to some. That’s not great to me. 

Just now, rcs29 said:

You wanted to keep Archie.... yes our greats are very far apart

To be clear— I wanted to keep Archie so we avoid a coaching mess like we potentially could face this month. Archie didn’t deserve to stay. He wasn’t going to win or turn things around clearly. 

I would’ve preferred to keep Archie until we 100% have our guy in the back channels. Scott may have his guy right now, we don’t know. But if we hire a lateral move and Brad Stevens or whoever becomes available within the calendar year.... 

Maybe bring in Lewis to be an assistant, possibly. But I would not be a fine of the hire, in my opinion 

I guess it depends on who his assistants are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

His winning % as a coach? Took over the worst team in the NBA.

First four years as a head coach 106-222.

Next five years as an NBA head coach? 209-143.

As an NBA assistant coach? 566-493. 

Been in the league as a player or coach for 30 straight years.

Too old? Not young as I’d like, but younger than some too.

5 minutes ago, Treesh said:

To be clear— I wanted to keep Archie so we avoid a coaching mess like we potentially could face this month. Archie didn’t deserve to stay. He wasn’t going to win or turn things around clearly. 

I would’ve preferred to keep Archie until we 100% have our guy in the back channels. Scott may have his guy right now, we don’t know. But if we hire a lateral move and Brad Stevens or whoever becomes available within the calendar year.... 

The flip side to this is that no other upgrades present themselves in the next year and we waste another year letting Archie kill the program. 

1 minute ago, brumdog45 said:

While I'm not really for it, I guess I don't get why people seem so sickened by Woodson but don't seem to react that way to Keith Smart.  

I just can't fathom how we would go from shooting for the stars to looking at a 63 year old who's never coached a college basketball game. But this is the kind of thing 21st century IU basketball would somehow do. 

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The flip side to this is that no other upgrades present themselves in the next year and we waste another year letting Archie kill the program. 

There is that. We could’ve fired him halfway through the season and placed an interim which is fine. 4 months of research of candidates, which may have been done currently. We don’t know. 

But then there is IU football so who cares about IU basketball! FOOTBALL SCHOOL!

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I just can't fathom how we would go from shooting for the stars to looking at a 63 year old who's never coached a college basketball game. But this is the kind of thing 21st century IU basketball would somehow do. 

But that doesn't really address what I had said.  Why are people so annoyed with the Woodson suggestion but not with the Smart one? Woodson's coaching pedigree is better and he played in the league, and Smart is just 5 years younger.

And for the record, I don't want Woodson.

5 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

But that doesn't really address what I had said.  Why are people so annoyed with the Woodson suggestion but not with the Smart one? Woodson's coaching pedigree is better and he played in the league, and Smart is just 5 years younger.

And for the record, I don't want Woodson.

I'd be annoyed with both. I'd be annoyed with Fife or Lewis too, but at least those guys are college basketball coaches. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I'd be annoyed with both. I'd be annoyed with Fife or Lewis too, but at least those guys are college basketball coaches. 

Fife was 82-97 at a low D1 and Lewis hasn't ever been a head coach.  The reality is that they are college basketball assistants.