Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Brad Stevens (Boston Celtics)

You know at this point if it weren’t Brad Stevens I would think any administration would try to temper expectations by now.   Would I be wrong about this?
Not sure how far it is getting past us few insane iu junkies. Common fans just go by national media basically saying no chance he comes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just now, BGleas said:

What could the Celtics possibly get from IU? The rights to IU's next one and done?

The Celtics own Stevens NBA rights, but Stevens is free to resign and go coach a college team if he wants. 

Oh I agree! I think if they really wanted they could make it annoying to leave, but they couldn’t really prevent it.

1 hour ago, IU-DL said:

No players entering the transfer portal. Can't being to describe how big of a deal this is. Cincinnati only has 4!! players left on the roster due to the COVID transfer rule. Our guys can leave a failing program with no coach whenever they want. Why aren't they? Because they were told a grand slam is coming in (without naming him, of course) and they all have an idea of who it is. It's beyond speculation otherwise our mediocre program would be fully vacated right now. Truth.

Ehhh...I attribute that to the players wanting to play for the name on the front of the jersey, not necessarily the name on the door of the coach's office

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

What could the Celtics possibly get from IU? The rights to IU's next one and done?

The Celtics own Stevens NBA rights, but Stevens is free to resign and go coach a college team if he wants. 

Maybe nobody owes anyone anything, but they might be giving the Celtics time to work out how they want this to go down as a courtesy.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I believe that they would still own his rights.  What they could want from IU is $$$$$ to release him unconditionally so if he ever goes back to the NBA, they don't own his contract.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You know you are exactly right.  I posted earlier today thinking he could’ve been trapped if Ainge wanted to be a ******.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Head is spinning and can’t think straight

2 minutes ago, Josh said:

Ehhh...I attribute that to the players wanting to play for the name on the front of the jersey, not necessarily the name on the door of the coach's office

That would be very rare this day and age but not impossible I guess

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

You know you are exactly right.  I posted earlier today thinking he could’ve been trapped if Ainge wanted to be a ******.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Head is spinning and can’t think straight

Thanks. Then I will go with the theory that Brad is a good guy and wants this to go as well as possible for the Celtics!

Not sure how far it is getting past us few insane iu junkies. Common fans just go by national media basically saying no chance he comes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

He’s not here, he’s not coming
Not in a million years
Turn your weary eyes back homeward
Stop your trembling, dry your tears
You may see the heavens flashing
You may hear the cosmos humming
But I promise you, my brother
He’s not here, he’s not coming

(With apologies to D. Henley)

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

51 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

They are ADAMANT we aren't getting Brad. Also they're super surprised we haven't reached out to Beard or Drew (somehow they seem to know we havent). That fact alone would suggest we have our guy. 

I'm not sure why Goodman wants to go scream from the mountain top for something he says is a non-story.  And if the story is Stevens NOT coming to Indiana, it's not a story that anyone cares about outside of Indiana and Massachusetts.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

I'm not sure why Goodman wants to go scream from the mountain top for something he says is a non-story.  And if the story is Stevens NOT coming to Indiana, it's not a story that anyone cares about outside of Indiana and Massachusetts.

He's probably raging because Titus called him out so publicly last night. 

14 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Can't remember did Pitino leave the Celtics during the year or was it after the season.

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That would be a Celtics-Stevens thing, not a Celtics-IU thing.

I know Ainge has this perception of being a jerk, he's literally one of the nicest dudes. I've been around Wyc and Danny, if they love you they're not going to treat you poorly (player trades notwithstanding).

They have a saying in the front office, "once a Celtics, always a Celtic." They love Brad and if he wanted to leave for IU they're not going to rake him over the coals to squeeze a few bucks out of IU. I'm not eve sure its possible for IU to pay a pro team to get their coach? 

So Ainge isn’t a bad guy?? I’m surprised from everything I’ve heard.  I know you worked there for a time so you would know before me.  Thanks for clearing that up. And maybe that makes it easier for Brad to leave too.