Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

VO5

Player decisions

13 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

There’s an article in SI this morning that says that the NCAA is about to adopt this transfer rule permanently. So this is the new norm. This is terrible for coaches. If you don’t give a freshman his minutes, even if he doesn’t earn them in practice, he’ll just transfer. It’s bad for us too. But it is great for the players. They’ll collaborate with top players they know from AAU to form super teams.

I'm not surprised if it becomes permanent. I think a one time transfer rule without sitting out a year would be best. If you want to transfer a third time, you have to sit out. The problem is there are too many scholarships (13). I see a lot of teams usually play on average 8 guys at the end of the season. That leaves 5 kids unhappy. It's almost impossible to get those kids to buy in. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm not surprised if it becomes permanent. I think a one time transfer rule without sitting out a year would be best. If you want to transfer a third time, you have to sit out. The problem is there are too many scholarships (13). I see a lot of teams usually play on average 8 guys at the end of the season. That leaves 5 kids unhappy. It's almost impossible to get those kids to buy in. 

Coaches will have to re-recruit their own players in addition to recruiting high school students players. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Coaches will have to re-recruit their own players in addition to recruiting high school students players. 

I see both sides. The players say "Well, the coach can leave and not sit right away!" I understand why say Texas Tech players are upset right now. However I think it sends a terrible message. Any adversity and you can run the other way. I think there needs to be a middle ground: You get to transfer one time without sitting out. The next time, you sit out regardless of the circumstance. The reason I love college basketball is seeing players join as freshman and leave as seniors. For the most part that happens at IU. I hope it stays that way. 

27 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

There’s an article in SI this morning that says that the NCAA is about to adopt this transfer rule permanently. So this is the new norm. This is terrible for coaches. If you don’t give a freshman his minutes, even if he doesn’t earn them in practice, he’ll just transfer. It’s bad for us too. But it is great for the players. They’ll collaborate with top players they know from AAU to form super teams.

There needs to be some restrictions and rules or else this is going to turn into a few for all. Then again the NCAA isn’t the smartest so they’ll probably let it be a free for all because Jay Billas says it should be.

Just now, ap2345 said:

There needs to be some restrictions and rules or else this is going to turn into a few for all. Then again the NCAA isn’t the smartest so they’ll probably let it be a free for all because Jay Billas says it should be.

Jay went from my favorite commentator to my least favorite one in the last year or so. He just whines all the time!!

IMHO, a 1 time no sit transfer with unlimited ability to transfer when HC change would be fair. I think the NCAA, sees and likes the offseason interest that this is creating, like NFL free agency, and likes the buzz, but this seasons free for all is ridiculous. They also should create a small window, say for 1 month after the FF that a player can no sit transfer.

Over 20 P6 schools have 5 players in the portal(4 in the B1G), some smaller schools have 10+ players. As it is constituted this season, the transfer portal, is unsustainable.

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

IMHO, a 1 time no sit transfer with unlimited ability to transfer when HC change would be fair. I think the NCAA, sees and likes the offseason interest that this is creating, like NFL free agency and likes the buzz, but this seasons free for all is ridiculous. They also should create a small window, say for 1 month after the FF that a player can no sit transfer.

Over 20 P6 schools have 5 players in the portal(4 in the B1G), some smaller schools have 10+ players. As it is constituted this season, the transfer portal, is unsustainable.

Maybe they should make it like open recruiting periods and allow them to make campus visits but each school is only allowed so many. Or like you state a 1 month open window. I agree a free for all is horrible. NCAA will finally be getting rid of one and some thanks to the NBA changing their rules and then this will happen. I’m fine with a no sit transfer if the coach changes jobs. It’ll be really interesting once these players can earn money on their likeness. 

My guess is that Lander wants to and will return if he is getting assurance of player development. Geronimo will transfer to either Rutgers or Seaton Hall to be closer to home. Armaan Franklin is getting the hard sell from several schools and will likely transfer, probably to Illinois. Race Thompson may return or may transfer to Minnesota or even Wisconsin (Madison isn't far from Minneapolis). When people have a bad experience, they sometimes want to just get away from it all. These players have a chance to experience something else other than Indiana University and for Geronimo and Race Thompson play closer to home. Race haas been here for four years so it is understandable he might want to leave.

1 minute ago, Honkyman said:

My guess is that Lander wants to and will return if he is getting assurance of player development. Geronimo will transfer to either Rutgers or Seaton Hall to be closer to home. Armaan Franklin is getting the hard sell from several schools and will likely transfer, probably to Illinois. Race Thompson may return or may transfer to Minnesota or even Wisconsin (Madison isn't far from Minneapolis). When people have a bad experience, they sometimes want to just get away from it all. These players have a chance to experience something else other than Indiana University and for Geronimo and Race Thompson play closer to home. Race haas been here for four years so it is understandable he might want to leave.

I would like to see Franklin stay but if he doesn't want to be here, we have to bring in someone who wants to be here. Jordan's mom has said he needs to be closer to home, and agrees Race has earned the right to go wherever he wants. 

59 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Super teams are nothing new in college. The blue chip prospects have been congregating at a handful of programs for decades. 

The transfer rule is annoying, but I’m not up in arms about it. I do think you should have to sit a year if you transfer twice, but overall kids should be allowed to change schools like any other student. If you have the right coaches in place it’s the other guy’s problem. 

The biggest thing is getting rid of one and done. That goes and a lot of the problems plaguing CBB go away. The second biggest thing is not letting today’s high school players ever watch James Harden play. 

34 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I see both sides. The players say "Well, the coach can leave and not sit right away!" I understand why say Texas Tech players are upset right now. However I think it sends a terrible message. Any adversity and you can run the other way. I think there needs to be a middle ground: You get to transfer one time without sitting out. The next time, you sit out regardless of the circumstance. The reason I love college basketball is seeing players join as freshman and leave as seniors. For the most part that happens at IU. I hope it stays that way. 

Chris Beard has had 5 jobs in 9 years. Think about the kids he's recruited. 

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Could definitely use that as fodder to recruit against him 

Meh, no one is going to say are you really going to send your kid to play for a guy that left McMurry for Angelo St, or UALR for TT.

His moves have all been upward and he is now at his Woodson's IU. He is locked in and will be there for 20yrs if he is successful.

2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Little Rock
2016–2021 Texas Tech
    2021–present Texas

1 minute ago, iu eyedoc said:

Meh, no one is going to say are you really going to send your kid to play for a guy that left McMurry for Angelo St, or UALR for TT.

His moves have all been upward and he is now at his Woodson's IU. He is locked in and will be there for 20yrs if he is successful.

2012–2013 McMurry
2013–2015 Angelo State
2015–2016 Little Rock
2016–2021 Texas Tech
    2021–present Texas

Not saying it’s true.  But I would still mention the possibility of him bolting to the NBA

14 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I know Duncomb meant it as a compliment, but this is the first thing that I’ve heard about Woodson since his hiring that makes me concerned. These kids are used to being told what they want to hear from a young age. As soon as they show any promise, AAU programs start recruiting them and promising them the world and telling them that they are already a perfect player. Now Woody comes along and says “you need to work on x, y, and z to even play at the college level.” There’s a reason that car salesmen lie to people. 

Lying to kids doesn't work either.  That's why there are over a thousand of them in the transfer portal.