Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure if you are joking or not but he's arguably the greatest player in our history. He's not going to be able to get players to play like him. Let alone when he's been on the job for less than 8 months. But I know that several players have said he has helped their games. Not sure why we fans want to attack everyone who has anything to do with the program. I promise everyone understands that no one is happy with where we are. 

That was sarcasm.  Calbert is my all time favorite player.  There's not much he can do in his current position.  

And as a kid growing up our neighbor was a math teacher at Harrison and had Calbert in class.  Always had nothing but great things to say about him.

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not sure if you are joking or not but he's arguably the greatest player in our history. He's not going to be able to get players to play like him. Let alone when he's been on the job for less than 8 months. But I know that several players have said he has helped their games. Not sure why we fans want to attack everyone who has anything to do with the program. I promise everyone understands that no one is happy with where we are. 

I wish CC would sit in front with the rest of the Assistant Coaches. Several times I see him sitting behind the bench...he's an IU legend. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I wish CC would sit in front with the rest of the Assistant Coaches. Several times I see him sitting behind the bench...he's an IU legend. 

He should sit in Armond Hill's seat.  Hill should go back to the NBA.  I can't think of a single positive thing he's contributed.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Wait -- is this news? I grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU, but for the past 30 years, I've lived abroad, so to speak (Minnesota, Texas, Virginia), so I'm not as in tune to IU news as I wanna be or should be. 

I just took it at face value that both "retired" (McRobbie he was 69 when he left). Were they forced out? I don't recall hearing/reading that anywhere. Again, I don't have the inside info many do, but if they did anything but leave of their own volition, this is news to me. 

I had a conversation with someone who's job it is to solicit donations on behalf of IU, that person described the job at the time as sort of a toxic awkward environment because when they would have meetings scheduled or have big donations lined up, they'd have to actively hide it from McRobbie for fear his involvement would lose them the donation. I also believe McRobbies son/daughter worked in that department which led to the awkwardness. Not sure if true, but considering the fact he drained the IU emergency fund for the phallic bell tower, only to be hit with a real emergency immediately after (covid), and that in the height of the financial crisis gave a speech about how parents should sacrifice financially to send their kids to IU because the education was worth it then almost immediately announcing he's giving himself a $1M a year raise after, plus don't think he actually lived in B-town.... lead me to believe that his services weren't highly sought after. Same with Glass, he fired Crean and had a PR tour on how it's a total rebuild for Archie (explain how after being the AD for 9 years you've created a situation for a total rebuild?), then had to pay $10M to fire archie 4 years later does not exude competence. My opinion is that both were severely unqualified for their positions. Were they fired? technically No...

Now obviously both individuals did a few things correctly, I just can't speak to what they did.

3 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

I had a conversation with someone who's job it is to solicit donations on behalf of IU, that person described the job at the time as sort of a toxic awkward environment because when they would have meetings scheduled or have big donations lined up, they'd have to actively hide it from McRobbie for fear his involvement would lose them the donation. I also believe McRobbies son/daughter worked in that department which led to the awkwardness. Not sure if true, but considering the fact he drained the IU emergency fund for the phallic bell tower, only to be hit with a real emergency immediately after (covid), and that in the height of the financial crisis gave a speech about how parents should sacrifice financially to send their kids to IU because the education was worth it then almost immediately announcing he's giving himself a $1M a year raise after, plus don't think he actually lived in B-town.... lead me to believe that his services weren't highly sought after. Same with Glass, he fired Crean and had a PR tour on how it's a total rebuild for Archie (explain how after being the AD for 9 years you've created a situation for a total rebuild?), then had to pay $10M to fire archie 4 years later does not exude competence. My opinion is that both were severely unqualified for their positions. Were they fired? technically No...

Now obviously both individuals did a few things correctly, I just can't speak to what they did.

Not that it matters but McRobbie is still around Bloomington. I see him at the gym I go to pretty frequently 

20 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Just depends on the amount of chairs each arena has. The Indiana’s men’s staff is very large. From players to coaching staff to support staff to managers. 

2 minutes ago, Trish said:

Just depends on the amount of chairs each arena has. The Indiana’s men’s staff is very large. From players to coaching staff to support staff to managers. 

Yup. You're right. I was insinuating that there are a handful of people sitting on our bench that deserve to swap places with CC but their positions won't warrant it.

2 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Not that it matters but McRobbie is still around Bloomington. I see him at the gym I go to pretty frequently 

Still rolling with a security detail?

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

FYI - also like the pic on your profile. I'm pretty sure that was from when we curb-stomped UK at the RCA dome. Killingsworth was a beast.

4 minutes ago, realTomCrean said:

If IU wins tonight I am going to flirt with a ban on quote tweeting some of you negative nellies. Convinced that some on here enjoy IU struggles so they can ostracize people they've never met and complain about things like.. who sits where on the bench

I guess this is a remark towards me? though it has nothing to do with tonight's game or being negative...just a personal opinion of mine. Calbert's name came up....I was simply stating that I wish he was not sitting behind the bench and that there are others that I would swap him out. Still stand by that comment. He's part of the IU family and was a legend. 

I have seen a couple “candidates must meet these criteria” lists and while I get the impulse, the actual list is much shorter than the ones I’ve seen. At IU, any head men’s basketball coach must:

1. Plausibly be able to win a national title

2. Make a good-faith effort to benefit the whole-person well-being of the players

3. Not embarrass the university with personal conduct.

I reserve the right to change, but all the other stuff about style of play, etc. is either logically flawed or rolled into one of the above. (E.g. one list said, like, “play a winning style” but there are as many such styles as there are good coaches.)

Quickly, Knight was sent packing when it seemed his ability to do #1 was clearly behind him and #3 became too big to continue ignoring. Davis failed #1, though of course he got close enough we had hope for awhile. Sampson had issues w/2 and 3, though he clearly seems to have learned from his time at IU in ways that benefit Houston. Crean’s seat got hot when some folks were convinced he’d never win a title and he lost his job when it became clear he wouldn’t. I’d argue the case for Miller was meeting criteria 1 was mostly based on one lucky tournament run and name recognition. And at least for me, the frustration now with Woodson is arising when it starts to feel less likely he’ll have a final 4 run at any point.

In our current case, I think this year is very disappointing and some of the issues and quotes worry me about whether Woodson can make a F4, but I think it’s also reasonable to believe the next couple years can and will be better.

I’m a little inclined to write something pro-Dusty, not because IU should make a change now but because I’ve seen some folks say he’s Not It or he’s just like Arch and I think there are reasons he’s a cut above (and as far as we can tell would meet my criteria above). But idk that the time is right.

The grapevine from Trilly that he wants the job is enough for me right now.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

I guess this is a remark towards me? though it has nothing to do with tonight's game or being negative...just a personal opinion of mine. Calbert's name came up....I was simply stating that I wish he was not sitting behind the bench and that there are others that I would swap him out. Still stand by that comment. He's part of the IU family and was a legend. 

No, it wasn't aimed at you my man or anyone specifically. But after IU wins, I'm going back through the last 24hrs of posts so if you catch a stray, I'm sorry kind of. I'm with you on Calbert being a GOAT