Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Chilly willy

We NEED to recruit ONLY INDIANA PLAYERS

First off, I would like to commend Coach Miller’s attempts to recruit players from Indiana.   However, I think his recent failures within the state could lead to a broadening of our recruiting scope and I feel as though this is to the detriment of our state.  Coach Miller and his staff only tend to focus on those players that are highly ranked and, with many of these, he has been unable to close the deal.  He therefore will look for players in other areas, non-Indiana players and this DOES NOT HELP US.  I think he needs to double down and recruit only Indiana players for the good of the state.

OUT OF STATE RECRUITS DO NOTHING FOR INDIANA:   When we recruit out of state players, these young men are coming here and enjoying a FREE education.   They then, for the most part, take their diploma and then put it to work in their home state (or NBA) and leave Indiana with nothing but fleeting basketball memories.   Al Durham, Devonte Green and others were nice young men, however they DO NOTHING FOR THE ECONOMY OF INDIANA ONCE THEY LEAVE.

WE ONLY RECRUIT INDIANA PLAYERS/SEE THE BIG PICTURE:  I realize that winning basketball games is something fun, however we need to see what is truly best for the state.  If we don’t get the top 50 recruit from Indiana, then we should be targeting the top 500 kids from our state.  While these players may be lacking in basketball acuity, they WILL STAY HOME WITH THEIR DEGREE.  We need to change our stance and realize The purpose of Indiana Basketball should not be the pursuit of trophies,   This is for those that are short sighted and vain.   The purpose of Indiana Basketball is to further the state of Indiana.  We do this by investing in young men and giving them scholarships so they can, in turn, return to their communities in Indiana as Doctors, Engineers and Teachers and help those communities grow AND contribute to our tax base.

No, ur missing the point.   U paid out of state tuition, therefore contributed to the schools $$$.   Out of state players take their scholarship and go back to their state/nba and don’t contribute in any way.   If we have in-state players, we still have a big10 team but also enjoy the later contributions to our economy as they use their free degree.   It is a win-win

Just now, Chilly willy said:

No, ur missing the point.   U paid out of state tuition, therefore contributed to the schools $$$.   Out of state players take their scholarship and go back to their state/nba and don’t contribute in any way.   If we have in-state players, we still have a big10 team but also enjoy the later contributions to our economy as they use their free degree.   It is a win-win

Are the seven or so non-Indiana players on our roster really hurting the economy by not staying in the state after they graduate? Shame on Tom Pritchard for moving back to Ohio.

How about we recruit who gives us the best chance of winning, actually win for once, and draw the best students to Bloomington the way they now flock to Tuscaloosa because of Bama football or Tallahassee after FSU won the national championship in 2014. Applications and quality of students go up when teams win. 

This argument cannot be a serious one. Indiana basketball has won national championships with out-of-state players (e.g., Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Jim Crews, Isiah Thomas, Daryl Thomas, Keith Smart). Some of those players (e.g., Buckner, May, Crews) stayed and worked in Indiana after graduating. Some of the players raised in Indiana left the state and worked elsewhere. The notion that IU basketball can be successful with only Indiana players is a fantasy and the argument that IU should only recruit Indiana players is ridiculous.

AJ Moye

Dj White

Victor Oladipo

Isiah Thomas

Dane Fife

I love these guys because they’re fighters.  The problem is that we can’t bring in the depth in talent. From what I Know specifically with my time at UNC and Duke, it’s because we don’t want to go to the same lengths (cough cough cheating) that they’re doing.  Archie is a stubborn #^% who won’t adjust his plan (like 90% of coaches), but if he were in UNC, I have no doubt he’d be competing for banners. NOt sure he’d win but he’d have a chance.  It hurts me to say this but I’ve come to resign myself to think that corruption has ruined this beautiful sport.   

Indiana as a whole has experienced what they refer to as “brain-drain” (INDIANA kids going to INDIANA schools, and fleeing the state for opportunities related to their career choices). This has been going on for decades. I don’t have the facts, but my best guess is in-state students and out-of-state students have about equal chance of leaving a blue-collar state with their white collar degrees. It just often makes sense to do so.

Indiana University has never told any coach he must recruit only Indiana kids “because having out-of-state kids in Bloomington for 4 years hurts the state’s economy”. That would be utterly absurd. Never mind basketball, this entire thought process that only college athletes from elsewhere leave the state to further their careers is completely fictional.