Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

And then Greenberg gets on Twitter and tells other coaches who criticize K to shut up and take care of their own team. I guess K is allowed to have an opinion, but others can't.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mr NIT knows where his bread is buttered. Good patsy.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Lmao at Coach K using Covid to duck the rest of his non-conference games because his team sucks. Poor guy can’t handle a few losses. 

If you don't like it change the rules! 

They're not really doing much, just canceling two games.  IT MAKES A STATEMENT THO!

We could be headed to dangerous Title IX territory here. Would the men stop their whole season over an outbreak or resume when it gets back under control? If the answer is the men would keep playing once outbreak passes and the women want to play, but administration says no, Title IX could get murky. 

I am sure they are quicker to stop women for safety which is not wrong, but does expose how much money the men's side brings in and how they are slower to stop all together. 

It's not just Duke, but all kinds of Title IX questions could arise depending on how this plays out and raises uncomfortable questions about it we never expected because of the pandemic. 

Update: Per release this was purely Duke's decision. Assuming that's true they should be OK, but does raise the question if the men opted out would they be pushed harder not to do so? 

Not good news for the Olympics from the London Times - 

The Japanese government has privately concluded that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled because of the coronavirus, and the focus is now on securing the Games for the city in the next available year, 2032.

According to a senior member of the ruling coalition, there is agreement that the Games, already postponed a year, are doomed. The aim now is to find a face-saving way of announcing the cancellation that leaves open the possibility of Tokyo playing host at a later date. “No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it’s too difficult,” the source said. “Personally, I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

3 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

He said; she said -

From Reuters

There is no truth to a report about the possible cancellation of the Tokyo Olympics, Japan's Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Manabu Sakai, a government spokesman, told reporters on Friday, denying a newspaper report that the event would be called off.

Tough culture, hopefully none of them will be leaping from any skyscrapers or taking a nap on the rails

This news should bode well for athletics starting in the fall.

Michael McRobbie just distributed an email to the IU-Bloomington community announcing fall-semester classes will be in person. Another sign IU feels comfortable planning forward for something approaching normal.

Classes will begin Aug. 23 and there will be a weeks break for Thanksgiving per normal.

Because of an increased number of virus cases, Monroe County and IU have returned to a mask mandate when indoors.   The IU mask mandate is also directed at all of its regional campuses.

Nothing currently indicates plans to reduce attendance limits or require masks for outdoor sports. 

NCAA has released guidance for fall sports.  Key provision is vaccinated individuals are not required to quarantine after a close contact with an infected individual. They will have to test within 3-4 days.  Unvaxxed will be subject to some quarantine period.

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ssi/COVID/SSI_ResocializationFall2021.pdf

7 hours ago, HoosierRobbie said:

Would be surprised if assembly hall will be full capacity by the time we get to basketball season, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It will depend on what the variants possibly look like. NBA and NHL playoffs were fine at capacity, so there is precedent now with full indoor capacity. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would be surprised if it's not at full capacity. You might have to wear a mask but they're going to have a lot of people in there. It would have to come from someone not affiliated with IU to tell them they can't have a full house. The new president has an opinion on all of this and it is much different than McRobbie. 

good to hear. It has to come down to personal choice now that the vaccine is here imo, we all know the risks one way or another. 

So ready to get back in Memorial stadium and Assembly hall. 

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I would be surprised if it's not at full capacity. You might have to wear a mask but they're going to have a lot of people in there. It would have to come from someone not affiliated with IU to tell them they can't have a full house. The new president has an opinion on all of this and it is much different than McRobbie. 

Good for the new president, hopefully the powers that be don't interfere with her decisions. I wouldn't bet on that though.