Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

From Jon Rothstein -

Rutgers will be allowed to have 150 total people for home games at the RAC this season, per release.

St. John's will begin the 20-21 season without fans in attendance for home games, per release. Could change later in the year depending on public health conditions.

Kentucky will allow up to 15% of normal capacity at Rupp Arena for home games during the 20-21 season, per release.

16 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Jon Rothstein -

Rutgers will be allowed to have 150 total people for home games at the RAC this season, per release.

St. John's will begin the 20-21 season without fans in attendance for home games, per release. Could change later in the year depending on public health conditions.

Kentucky will allow up to 15% of normal capacity at Rupp Arena for home games during the 20-21 season, per release.

Makes sense; the risk of 2,00 Kentucky fans in the same arena is less severe because they will all be each other's relatives.

The IHSA board will be meeting tomorrow to see if they will go forward with basketball this year. A few weeks ago, they went against Pritzker's orders and said basketball would be played. It looks like they are backing down. I do know the conference we are in is postponing the start of practice.
I will never understand why their can be hundreds of thousands of people(a lot of them not wearing masks) with no social distance celebrating Biden's win, but any thing hast to be canceled or less than 25-50 people. Simply amazing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

The IHSA board will be meeting tomorrow to see if they will go forward with basketball this year. A few weeks ago, they went against Pritzker's orders and said basketball would be played. It looks like they are backing down. I do know the conference we are in is postponing the start of practice.
I will never understand why their can be hundreds of thousands of people(a lot of them not wearing masks) with no social distance celebrating Biden's win, but any thing hast to be canceled or less than 25-50 people. Simply amazing.

I don’t think they really look at it that way.  Honestly I am glad nobody would.  Basing any long term decision good or bad on a single situation that is no way similar or has any bearing on high school basketball would be illogical.  

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

There’s a big difference between spontaneous unorganized gatherings and officially sponsored and hosted events. 

Ugh does this mean TK is going to be a thorn in our side a year earlier 

3 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

There’s a big difference between spontaneous unorganized gatherings and officially sponsored and hosted events. 

I do wonder how many kids we might see mid year.  Seems we are headed towards a lot of states not allowing high school winter sports.  I just don’t see college cancelling winter sports again.  Losing two tournaments in a row would be very bad.  Mid year free agency.  

21 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I do wonder how many kids we might see mid year.  Seems we are headed towards a lot of states not allowing high school winter sports.  I just don’t see college cancelling winter sports again.  Losing two tournaments in a row would be very bad.  Mid year free agency.  

Getting Logan on campus earlier wouldn’t be the worst thing for us to be fair.  Won’t be counting on a true freshmen to contribute after TJD naturally leaves.  

I love Brunk and if we have a spot would love for him to stick around. But can’t count on that. 

On 11/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

From Jon Rothstein -

At 150 fans, Rutgers will still have to give tickets away.

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Illinois postponed football while Indiana powered through. Don’t be surprised if the same happens with basketball. 

On 11/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

We just have to look towards Trump rallies to see how celebrating Biden's win will turn out.  According to a paper published by Stanford researches:18 Trump rallies, held between June 20th and September 22nd can be tied to AT LEAST 30,000 new cases and 700 deaths.  All the mass protests and celebrations currently occurring will only increase cases further (as we can see by about 140,000+ new cases daily).  It's insane.  https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3722299  

Please remember the title of the thread...

Coronavirus and Sports Only

Much to the benefit of all (in my opinion) the board has been completely devoid of political commentary over the past few weeks. The past few posts have been very respectful, but I am cognizant that we will not veer away from the stated, non-political topic. If we're starting to name politicians it can be assumed that we are getting off-topic and into a place that is not going to last.

Thanks all

Nice move by EVSC and ETFCU and despite what will be significantly reduced ticket sales and concession revenue for the schools (if there even is any revenue) to make the streams free of charge.  Hopefully other school districts will be able to find a similar partner to make their games available.

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says '1:36 Tweet Kyle Sokeland @kylesokeland The EVSC has announced, through a partnership with ETFCU, that all winter athletic events (girls/boys basketball, wrestling) played at their gyms will be live streamed this season. No cost to EVSC or viewers EVANSVILLE TEACHERS FEDERAL CREDIT UNION 1:01 PM 11/12/20 1:01PM-11/12/20-TwitteforiPhone Twitter for Tweet your reply'

On 11/11/2020 at 6:49 AM, Hovadipo said:

Illinois postponed football while Indiana powered through. Don’t be surprised if the same happens with basketball. 

With the new restrictions, I think you'll likely see basketball in Indiana played in front of 25% capacity crowds or crowds consisting of just player parents and guardians and essential personnel.  My county is currently listed as orange on the Indiana county list but will go to red next week.  Data is based on the previous week and gets posted on Wednesday for Monday's data, so the county designations are actually nine days in arrears (this is due to the data basically fluctuating for a week as the numbers roll in).  At red level, indoor sports are essential personnel and parents and guardians only.

The school where I teach at is still playing football.  If we win this week, we will host a semistate game and we'll be in the red category, so both schools will only have parents and guardians in the stands.

We made it through football, soccer and volleyball season pretty much unscathed. Now basketball at our school and several others has been put on hold. All sports have been hurt by Covid but winter sports it appears are going to be hit especially hard again. Several kids on our team have gotten jobs and are playing unsanctioned sports.My son is playing indoor soccer and has applied for a job. Not sure he will go back to basketball if its allowed this season. Seems we are back in a monkey see monkey do scenario. 

Michigan Gov. Whitmer has announced a 3-week statewide shutdown starting Wednesday the 18th.  Included in the shutdown are "organized sports, except professional sports."  Taking that statement at face value is a significant impact to B1G football and basketball not to mention every other college located in Michigan let alone high school sports.

14 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Michigan Gov. Whitmer has announced a 3-week statewide shutdown starting Wednesday the 18th.  Included in the shutdown are "organized sports, except professional sports."  Taking that statement at face value is a significant impact to B1G football and basketball not to mention every other college located in Michigan let alone high school sports.

This article claims a 'select number of NCAA sports' are exempted. I presume football and probably mens/women's basketball are part of that.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/health/2020/11/15/here-are-14-changes-going-into-effect-under-michigans-new-covid-19-restrictions/#//

9 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

This article claims a 'select number of NCAA sports' are exempted. I presume football and probably mens/women's basketball are part of that.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/health/2020/11/15/here-are-14-changes-going-into-effect-under-michigans-new-covid-19-restrictions/#//

Man Michigan fans are going to be outraged if they have to keep playing because they are exempt.