Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

18 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Michigan Gov. Whitmer has announced a 3-week statewide shutdown starting Wednesday the 18th.  Included in the shutdown are "organized sports, except professional sports."  Taking that statement at face value is a significant impact to B1G football and basketball not to mention every other college located in Michigan let alone high school sports.

She's just embarrassed of IU football kicking Michigan and MSU's a$$.  :) 

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

She's just embarrassed of IU football kicking Michigan and MSU's a$$.  :) 

There are actually exemptions built in for major sports like college football. 

You'd think Michigan would keep tetherball and bocce ball alive, and force UM and MSU to discontinue their seasons!

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My 8th grade son's school is going virtual for a 2 week minimum.  His basketball team will continue practices and games as of now.  

Well that seems backwards! It's a whole lot easier to ensure masks and distancing in a classroom than with ten sweaty kids with no masks playing hoops.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Well that seems backwards! It's a whole lot easier to ensure masks and distancing in a classroom than with ten sweaty kids with no masks playing hoops.

Yeah, most of Fort Wayne is doing this for Middle and High schools.  It's worded, due to staff shortage, more than the kids but who really knows.  

2 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Sounds like the entire NCAAT may be played at a single location (Indianapolis).

Due to health and safety concerns, the Division I Men's Basketball Committee has decided to relocate the 13 sites previously chosen to host preliminary rounds of the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship.

Despite the challenges the pandemic continues to present to our country, March Madness will take place in 2021. The environment in which we live is drastically different, which means the tournament will clearly have a different feel to it, but we will safely conduct this event despite the obstacles we are facing. It was determined that the most effective way of doing so is to stage the event in one city, using multiple venues. The NCAA is in preliminary discussions with the state of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis to conduct the entire championship in the metropolitan area. No decision has been made regarding fan attendance at any NCAA tournament game. However, the NCAA committee and staff will remain in communication with nation and local experts from within the medical field to decide the best course of action.

At this time, there are no changes to the field size of 68 or the dates March Madness is typically held. The original key dates include Selection Sunday® on March 14, the tournament start date on March 16 and the National Championship on April 5.

On 11/15/2020 at 2:17 PM, Alford Bailey said:

We made it through football, soccer and volleyball season pretty much unscathed. Now basketball at our school and several others has been put on hold. All sports have been hurt by Covid but winter sports it appears are going to be hit especially hard again. Several kids on our team have gotten jobs and are playing unsanctioned sports.My son is playing indoor soccer and has applied for a job. Not sure he will go back to basketball if its allowed this season. Seems we are back in a monkey see monkey do scenario. 

In my area, girls basketball hasn’t started and it’s incredible how many girls programs are quarantined due to covid cases.  Unfortunate by product of the d SSC ports bring indoor in badly ventilated places instead of outdoor.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

A lot of schools in my area have went that route.    I think the thinking behind it two fold:  education can be gone virtually (though not as well)  while sports can not and extracurricular activities are a choice and not mandatory.

In my area, girls basketball hasn’t started and it’s incredible how many girls programs are quarantined due to covid cases.  Unfortunate by product of the d SSC ports bring indoor in badly ventilated places instead of outdoor.

Indoors will be hard for sure. My HS kids each completed their fall sport seasons and no one came down with COVID. Practicing and playing outside had to have helped.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Jeff Goodman - Just spoke to a couple of the top refs in the country. Both said their biggest concern for officials is a 14-day quarantine if anyone on either program (Tier 1) tests positive in the days following them working a game.

Brian Snow - One thing to look out for. Talked to several coaches in the past week or so. Many either have cut, or are thinking about, not having walk ons this year. The last thing a coach wants is a 14 day shutdown due to a walk on. Could be a tough thing for walk ons who really do work hard

On 11/16/2020 at 1:54 PM, Stuhoo said:

Depends.  I think some of thought is that there won’t be prolonged exposure in practice/games....actual time players are within six feet of an other player would likely be less than 15 minutes.  Can’t say for sure but I know they’ve timed it in football and actual time in close contact was very low.

I’m watching the Wisconsin game. All players are spaced at least 6’ apart on the benches. Yet, once they are on the court they’re huddling up and locking arms at each stop in play. Hmmm.

I guess I’m still confused by some of the protocols. I mean...for instance...if I’m sure to step away from someone after 14 and a half minutes of a conversation in close quarters, then am I really safe whereas if I wait another 30 seconds I need to be tested?  

Someone I work very closely with tested positive. I’m told I’m fine and don’t need to quarantine since I was never in close proximity for more than 15 mins at a time (similar to what brumdog is mentioning as the “thinking” behind this particular safety protocol in his post above), even though we probably worked in close proximity for an hour or more throughout the day...not to mention days leading up to it when she was likely already carrying the virus. I’m told if I was with this coworker 15 minutes at one time I would be forced to go home for two weeks, but if I’m around her for an hour in increments I’m fine and free to mingle in 14 minute and 59 second increments with other coworkers as I wish. It seems absolutely absurd. Do people believe the virus hangs out with a stop watch and waits for the 15-minute buzzer to go off before it jumps from someone’s lungs and into my nostrils? I’m guessing not. And if not, then wt_?

On 11/25/2020 at 10:58 PM, ray said:

I’m watching the Wisconsin game. All players are spaced at least 6’ apart on the benches. Yet, once they are on the court they’re huddling up and locking arms at each stop in play. Hmmm.

I guess I’m still confused by some of the protocols. I mean...for instance...if I’m sure to step away from someone after 14 and a half minutes of a conversation in close quarters, then am I really safe whereas if I wait another 30 seconds I need to be tested?  

Someone I work very closely with tested positive. I’m told I’m fine and don’t need to quarantine since I was never in close proximity for more than 15 mins at a time (similar to what brumdog is mentioning as the “thinking” behind this particular safety protocol in his post above), even though we probably worked in close proximity for an hour or more throughout the day...not to mention days leading up to it when she was likely already carrying the virus. I’m told if I was with this coworker 15 minutes at one time I would be forced to go home for two weeks, but if I’m around her for an hour in increments I’m fine and free to mingle in 14 minute and 59 second increments with other coworkers as I wish. It seems absolutely absurd. Do people believe the virus hangs out with a stop watch and waits for the 15-minute buzzer to go off before it jumps from someone’s lungs and into my nostrils? I’m guessing not. And if not, then wt_?

Just as an aside for public safety purposes, your employer has it wrong.  The current CDC standard is 15 minutes of exposure over a 24 hour period.  

As for the spacing on the sidelines, I think it's just "for show."  Behind the scenes these kids are closer together in the locker room, traveling, etc.  

Just as an aside for public safety purposes, your employer has it wrong.  The current CDC standard is 15 minutes of exposure over a 24 hour period.  

As for the spacing on the sidelines, I think it's just "for show."  Behind the scenes these kids are closer together in the locker room, traveling, etc.  

Yep, one of many illogical posturing rules we’ve seen in 2020.

And another one (DJ Khaled)

Reporters wearing masks with no one within 20 feet of them. That’s a fun teaching moment.

Promise I’m done. Delete if you want.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app