Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Coronavirus and Sports Only - PLEASE and THANK YOU

I noticed Florida is ranked #5 and Texas is #8. These are two prominent programs that haven't been national contenders for awhile. Are they legitimately this good, are their rankings affected by other teams not playing, or are they getting the Nebraska treatment? 

2 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I noticed Florida is ranked #5 and Texas is #8. These are two prominent programs that haven't been national contenders for awhile. Are they legitimately this good, are their rankings affected by other teams not playing, or are they getting the Nebraska treatment? 

Probably both. Texas is always ranked high at the start of the season it seems. 

Florida is legit. Mullen can flat out coach. This is 3rd year in Gainesville so he’s starting to get his players in place.

I can’t offer an unbiased opinion on Texas because being an Oklahoma fan I can’t stand them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Interesting to find out if the Protect Purdue Pledge has any actual teeth or it's simply a paper tiger.  This is the second such mass suspension but the first group of 36 all appealed and remained in school.  

3 hours ago, mdn82 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30001007/tennessee-titans-close-facility-multiple-players-test-positive-covid-19

Tennessee Titans have a small outbreak going on.  They shut down their facility for now.

and per NFL Woj, the NFL still wants to play Tennessee's regularly scheduled game vs Pittsburgh(for now).

3 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

and per NFL Woj, the NFL still wants to play Tennessee's regularly scheduled game vs Pittsburgh(for now).

They are looking to move Tenn-Pitt and Minn-Houston to Monday/Tuesday night. Also looking at moving around bye weeks to enable games to be rescheduled. NFL has its hands full, can't just play doubleheaders like baseball did.

NE/KC postponed as Cam Newton tests positive (as well as a KC practice squad player).

I assume that there are other tests in the process as I don't think they would postpone from one positive.  Could be because of how late the positive came.

Tenn/Pitts will not play this week due to additional positives with Tennessee.  Most likely scenario is the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game gets shifted to week 8 since they both have byes that week and Pittsburgh plays Tennessee in week 7 when Tennessee was to have a bye.

Zagoria - The 2020 edition of the Gavitt Games between the Big East and Big Ten Conferences is “likely dead as contracted,” a Big East source said.  There is still a “chance” to hold some of the games under the Gavitt Games umbrella and discussions are ongoing, the source said, but the full suite of games won’t happen.  The college basketball season will now begin Nov. 25 and the Big East season will begin Dec. 11, although a few league games could occur before then due to previously scheduled non-conference commitments, the source said.  Last year’s Gavitt Games were played Nov. 11-14 at school sites.   This year’s schedule and matchups were never released.  These were the teams slated to be involved:

Rothstein - The Emerald Coast Classic featuring Oregon, Illinois, Iowa State, and Florida has officially been cancelled, per release.

Good news on campus.

Oct. 7 IU COVID-19 dashboard update: Testing data is from the week of 9/27-10/3.   IU-Bloomington had a 1.08% mitigation testing positivity rate last week. That is a fourth straight week of decline.  Greek houses had a 1.6% positivity rate and dorms 1.2%.  Both are down.

Good news on campus.
Oct. 7 IU COVID-19 dashboard update: Testing data is from the week of 9/27-10/3.   IU-Bloomington had a 1.08% mitigation testing positivity rate last week. That is a fourth straight week of decline.  Greek houses had a 1.6% positivity rate and dorms 1.2%.  Both are down.

If you test the least likely to contract COVID with your mitigation testing you can get the numbers to show you’re doing an excellent job.

If you want your numbers to show low infection rates you test the people that actually follow the rules, don’t have in person classes, and have continued to test negative. You also don’t test people who live off campus with a lot of other people.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Geez @HoosierAloha aren't you the little bluebird of happiness that crapped in the middle of my windshield!  I kid, I kid.  You are absolutely correct that you can make the numbers give whatever results you desire.  Hopefully, IU isn't playing that game.

After reading the mini-political rant in this thread last night, allow me to re-emphasize that this thread is for Coronavirus and how it relates to sports ... please. 

1. Anyone deliberately posting otherwise will be warned and the offending post will be deleted.
  2. Anyone deliberately continuing to post inappropriately thereafter will be removed.

This board is a wonderful on-line community, primarily to discuss IU sports, and occasionally to discuss off-topic matters. The posters here are smart, funny, good-looking (without exception) and opinionated. That's a large part of what makes this place great, and I appreciate the heck out of all of you!

However, politics is not an off-topic matter for discussion here. If you want to discuss politics, find another place to do so. Thanks