Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Man…knew this was coming eventually, but it still sucks. My long departed grandfather was a salty old WW2 vet who loved coach Knight unequivocally. He had a lot of influence on me, and I think I did too. 

It’s tough to really capture knight (excuse me…Coach Knight:) but I’ll post a few of my favorites.  

I always liked Wetzel as a writer. His book on college football is good. He has a nice article this evening on Knight. I think he’s had it chambered for a while.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/coaching-legend-bob-knight-famous-for-both-victories-and-outbursts-dies-at-83/ar-AA1jeTgF

I was born in 93'. After Calbert had already graduated. I never seen peak Knight or IU basketball live. But I was raised watching old games and hearing all the stories of old games and of Knight. My love of basketball exist because of Bobby Knight. The amount of great he did in his life is indescribable.

RIP Coach

I missed most of Knight’s greatness but remember’87 as a kid. As a young teenager I loved the ‘92 and ‘93 teams. Cheaney was my idol.  As people crow about the Fab Five never forget that they didn’t win a thing. And IU dominated the big ten in ‘93.  I like to sometimes go back and watch those games on YouTube. Both games are great but the one in Ann Arbor is an all timer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkvfbkX28u0&pp=ygUjSW5kaWFuYSB2cyBNaWNoaWdhbiAxOTkzIGJhc2tldGJhbGw%3D

For context, IU was awesome. There was the Fab 5. Duke was amazing. So was UNC and UK and Kansas. A different time. The game above is one of the better ones you’llwatch in cbb, imo. To add to the bittersweetness, a younger dick vitale is on the call. 

This is a famous clip, but Knight talking about a 20 yr old Michael Jordan. Seems obvious now, but remember Jordan was picked 3rd at the time. Guess coach knew a little about basketball talent. 

https://x.com/super70ssports/status/1719861675388543205?s=46&t=KJWxaALhjAhknEOj99blZg

21 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

……It’s long overdue…. It’s time for Coach Bob Knight Court
This has to happen and needs to happen. The floor should be flooded with former IU players coached by Coach Knight at the unveiling and ceremony!

Dickie, is that you?

30 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

This has to happen and needs to happen. The floor should be flooded with former IU players coached by Coach Knight at the unveiling and ceremony!

9 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Dickie, is that you?

6 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

OMG… I did sound like him didn’t I? Lol

If you told me you copied this text from Dickie’s twitter account I’d 100% believe you. 

You (and Dickie) are right though imo. Would add another cool layer of mystique to the building. 

30 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

Thing is -- the court already is named for Branch McCracken. 

Man…. I’m getting old…I’ve been googling for twenty mins for a Feinstein article he wrote some time after Knight was fired from IU. Can’t find it; if anyone has it please post.  

I’ll just give a plug for Season on the Brink. If you haven’t read it, do so. In the aforementioned article Feinstein expounds on a anecdote he relays in Season on the Brink.  Feinstein was kind of a mercurial guy himself and went through phases where he seemed resentful of Knight and at other times he was rather enamored with him.  

In any event, in the article he relays how late one night in a diner Knight and colleagues are approached by a young boy asking for an autograph flanked by his older brother and father. Knight is curious as to why the kid is sent to ask for autographs and the kid explains that his father and brother are deaf-mutes. Knight is kind of taken with the kid and gets the family autographs, gear, etc… and then invites them to a game. He has the kid and his father and brother come to the locker room pre game to meet the team with the boy interpreting. It ends after the family leaves with Knight telling the players, “ I don’t want to hear you guys talk about how hard you have it again.”  

Feinstein does a nice job capturing Knight in that article. If anyone can find it, please post it…i don’t do it justice . Good read. 

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If you told me you copied this text from Dickie’s twitter account I’d 100% believe you. 

You (and Dickie) are right though imo. Would add another cool layer of mystique to the building. 

Nope… all on my own as tears ran down my face…

I was born right smack dab in the middle of March madness in '93, and I'll tell ya how cool Coach Knight made IU basketball, they had to drag my doctor away from the tv long enough to help deliver me. My mom was screaming in pain and the doc and my old man were screaming at the tv. I was destined to be a Hoosier for life. Hate that I missed most of the Knight years, but my dad and grandpa shared tons of stories and I've seen plenty of older games. His legacy will never be forgotten, RIP coach!