Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

(2016) SG Grant Gelon commits to IU

Sorry, thought the discussion was about red shirting Gelon.

Redshirting is fine, but there's a lot more discussion going on as well.  I just don't want it getting out of hand because these threads are meant to be about the players only, not Crean hating/etc.  I know, I'm the negative police.

He won't be Redshirting unless an injury happens. And no one wants to hear of an injury. Tim Priller wasn't even redshirted and this kid has more talent and higher ceiling than him.

Agree, unfortunately too much of that on here already.

Agreed.  The one place we don't have much of a rope is in the recruiting threads.  This is due to the time and effort Pap, CCG, Hova and others put in.  They give us more information than pay sites for free.  They deserve accommodations of space and respect in their threads.  We have plenty of other threads others can throw their hatred at.  If they do it here they don't usually last long.  

Nothing new. Don't know this guy, but here is his take.

@IUBBGuy: Here is Gelon's stat line with their other star player Sasha, who in my opinion is the better player #iubb https://t.co/a2UHEhnLr6

@IUBBGuy: My opinion, and this is just after seeing two game, Gelon really doesn't have much to his game other than the three point shot #iubb

@nezimmer: @IUBBGuy best friend is a bball coach up in the region and says the kid is nowhere near IU level. Shooter, nothing else.

@IUBBGuy: @nezimmer Matt Roth is a perfect comparison actually, I'm a region rat myself

If he ends up shooting as strongly as Hulls, Roth, or Ziesloft it'll be fine. Hate seeing him outplayed routinely but it is what it is.

On 2/26, in its season finale, Crown Point defeated Lowell 68 - 61.  Gelon finished with 18 points and seven rebounds and surpassed the 1,000-point mark (1,012).  Mildly interesting that it's taken Gelon 4 years to reach the 1,000 point mark.  We've got 2 juniors on our local high school team who both reached the 1,000 mark this season. 

Stefanovic finished with a double-double of 20 points and 10 rebounds.  Not trying to hijack the thread, but Wayne's comment on Stefanovic is pretty accurate.  Game in and game out, his overall performance has been very steady not only in scoring but in rebounding as well.

Nothing new. Don't know this guy, but here is his take.

@IUBBGuy: Here is Gelon's stat line with their other star player Sasha, who in my opinion is the better player #iubb https://t.co/a2UHEhnLr6

@IUBBGuy: My opinion, and this is just after seeing two game, Gelon really doesn't have much to his game other than the three point shot #iubb

@nezimmer: @IUBBGuy best friend is a bball coach up in the region and says the kid is nowhere near IU level. Shooter, nothing else.

@IUBBGuy: @nezimmer Matt Roth is a perfect comparison actually, I'm a region rat myself

If he ends up shooting as strongly as Hulls, Roth, or Ziesloft it'll be fine. Hate seeing him outplayed routinely but it is what it is.

Geeze. I hope he isn't a Matt Roth. Roth could shoot but rarely did because he could never get open.

Geeze. I hope he isn't a Matt Roth. Roth could shoot but rarely did because he could never get open.

And, Roth was way more accomplished in HS. All state performer who held the Illinois HS record for threes. Led his team in scoring and rebounds and took them to a finals game.   Im not even sure the comparison to Roth is accurate.

And, Roth was way more accomplished in HS. All state performer who held the Illinois HS record for threes. Led his team in scoring and rebounds and took them to a finals game.   Im not even sure the comparison to Roth is accurate.

Yeah....

"A 2008 graduate of Washington Community High School ... named Peoria Journal Star Big School Player of the Year as a senior ... named all-state after averaging 22 points per game ... Illinois state record holder for most three-point field goals made in his career ... took his squad to the state finals for the first time since 1962 ... as a junior, Roth averaged 21 points and five rebounds as he led Washington Community High School to a 27-2 record ... was a member of the Associated Press's 2006-07 Class AA all-state first team in Illinois following his junior year ... garnered second team honors with the Chicago Tribune and third team notice from the Chicago Sun-Times ... made 148 triples on his way to shooting a blistering 48 percent from three-point line for Coach Kevin Brown ... led his team in points and blocks and finished second in rebounds ... was named the 2007-08 MidStateHoops.com Preseason Player of the Year ... averaged 18 points per game as a sophomore ... son of David and Lisa Roth ... has two sisters and one brother ... graduated with a bachelor of science in sports communications with a minor in telecommunications and is now enrolled in graduate school in sports administration and management ... born Aug. 8, 1989."

With the advent of grad transfers I'm a little surprised we would offer a guy like Gelon. Not to know him but he's going to be a project player. In reality what might be best for him is to go somewhere he will get PT. and then in 3 years transfer to IU and be our sharpshooter.

You are correct...HS careers are nowhere comparable.

I don't have much of a problem with Grant. If Crean thinks he can contribute he has a better eye than I.

I would love to see us develop a development program for guys like this. Not Creans forte but he has changed some already this year why not more

I saw this Crown Point young man for the first time last night (4 Feb) at a tough sectional semi game where he scored 20. In the first minute of the 3rd qtr he hit 2 quick treys while double teamed! He has one of the quickest releases I've seen. Will attend the final tonight against Valpo.

Thanks colonel! We'll be waiting. I just couldn't let this thread drop off the first page. Good luck to GG tonight!