Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Fulkme15

Will 1 more win do it?

@dandakich: Of course IU is undersized but if anyone thinks that's why they stink defensively they literally haven't a clue..and embarrass themselves

Our size doesn't help, but it's not the reason we're so awful on that end.  Being fundamentally terrible is a bigger culprit, we are absolutely awful at basic defensive fundamentals that are coachable and should've shown improvement over the year but haven't.

I know that the athletics department has had a few meetings already to discuss the possibility of going to the NIT.  Not geared towards a coaching change, but more-so whether or not IU and Assembly Hall will host an NIT game here in Bloomington.  

While it seems like a no-brainer to host a game, it turns out that since the tourny takes place over our spring break, it can make for a nationally televised NIT event where assembly hall is lackluster in energy and attendence. Which doesn't look good.

Thoughts on hosting an NIT game, if it comes down to it?

Frankly, I hope we don't get in. That's not being mean, and it's not because I don't support IU. It is stating the obvious; we aren't good enough. We aren't good enough by our standards, and only marginally good enough by Purdue's.
If we get it, with the type of team we have and the type of record we have, it'll have more to do with the candy stripe pants and the "Indiana" insignia emblazoned on the jersey than our play. It does nothing to improve our program. It does nothing to improve the team, and player's don't "deserve" to make it simply because we feel sorry for them if they don't. They deserve to make it when their team is one of the 64 best in the land, (our isn't).
One also has to consider other schools, and their sons who've played their hearts out and their asses off, and sold out to the game far more than what I've seen with this team.
Why screw the "Buffalo's" of the world, or countless others?; So we can feel better about seeing the IU logo on a court?
If one more loss puts even a modicum of additional pressure on Fred Glass to fire Crean, or on Crean to resign, I'm all for it.
GO IU!

if the "buffalo's" of the world or countless others have a better overall resume then Iu then of course they should get in over us but if our overall resume is better then theirs in your opinion why shouldn't we get in? I've seen hartman play his butt off all year (should he not get a chance to play in a tourney) your opinion is we are not one of the best 36 at large teams but maybe the committee does, every bracket expert I have seen has us at a 11 or 12 seed even after the dumpster fire of the last month

@dandakich: Of course IU is undersized but if anyone thinks that's why they stink defensively they literally haven't a clue..and embarrass themselves

It is kind of remarkable what a good defensive system can do on any level.

I know I have referenced what he could do defensively, but look at a system like Vogel's with the Pacers. Built around a 7'2 guy who can't move his feet well, yet it is consistently one of the best in the league. Not to to mention he has turned guys that were just bad defensively and turned them into solid defenders, Stuckey

No one would go even if it wasn't over SB. I say open it up GA style like Hoosier Hysteria as a way to say sorry for making the fans suffer these last couple months. Give people that don't normally have a chance to see iubb to see some ball.

I'd be itching to go if they did this just because it's hard to get tickets otherwise.

No one would go even if it wasn't over SB. I say open it up GA style like Hoosier Hysteria as a way to say sorry for making the fans suffer these last couple months. Give people that don't normally get to see iubb a chance.

I could also see this totally getting out of hand. If IU is there and IU is playing bad. The boo birds could be out in full force even if it is only half full.

I could also see this totally getting out of hand. If IU is there and IU is playing bad. The boo birds could be out in full force even if it is only half full.

Yeah it definitely wouldn't be a good look on ESPN. It would get the message across though. :)

Yeah it definitely wouldn't be a good look on ESPN. It would get the message across though. :)

Oh it would get the message across for sure. That would be the only positive that could come out of it.

I can appreciate what you're saying Stu, but I'm not questioning the intelligence of those persons in a position of authority. I'm questioning the unseen forces behind their decision making, which often times hasn't a thing to do with their intelligence. Sometimes it's ego, sometimes it money, sometimes it ignorance, (they simply don't understand the whole picture), and sometimes it's nothing more than a pissing match. In the end, elimination of any hope for this coach's future, through continued losses, and fan based denouncements, makes their reluctance to make a change indefensible. I love IU and hate to see upheaval and disappointment for the kids on the team, but I'd rather get the situation corrected now, than have more kids come through our program and receive such sub standard coaching and negative experiences. Delaying a change prolongs the inevitable and serves neither current nor future players, and that is far more important that our getting in to the tournament, possibly getting hot and winning a few games. I've seen way too many average coaches follow this path to mediocrity, and I'd like to think no one at IU enjoys being mediocre.

If we win the next two, I can't see how we aren't qualified or good enough. We would have beaten ranked teams 5 times, and just because a slump happens doesn't mean the team flat out sucks. We're not that bad, if we play to our strengths and play like we did against, SMU, OSU, Butler, Maryland we are good enough. We have the same roster, have the same coach, we are the same team. Let's get out of this ******* slump and win some games, in The Big Ten Tournament and The NCAA. GO HOOSIERS!!!

*** our adjusted Defense according to Kenpom= 226

the next worst team is....................................................................

Central Michigan!

Even Toledo has a better adjusted defense :(

Iona comes close

I think that is the worst defenses in the top 100, btw

Kenpom has us beating NW by 5, With a 65% chance of winning. Vegas has us as a 20-1 shot at winning the BTT.

I have a hunch that Kenny doesn't watch too many of our games.

Vonleh and Zeller in their time masked some bigger issues on defense. Now that there isn't an interior presence, the problem is magnified.

If we win the next two, I can't see how we aren't qualified or good enough. We would have beaten ranked teams 5 times, and just because a slump happens doesn't mean the team flat out sucks. We're not that bad, if we play to our strengths and play like we did against, SMU, OSU, Butler, Maryland we are good enough. We have the same roster, have the same coach, we are the same team. Let's get out of this ******* slump and win some games, in The Big Ten Tournament and The NCAA. GO HOOSIERS!!!

You know many of us are trying to forget we have the same coach. Hell, that's what's so worrisome.

As of right now, IU is predicted to be an 11 seed. I know we are struggling right now, but I think if we win our first big ten tourney game, and play a good second game we are in. I think the selection committee wants IU back in the tourney. I think if we win our first two games its a guarantee we are In. Thoughts anyone on what it will take to be in the tourney?

One of the last tournament brackets had us as the last one in after being included in the first 4 out. Over the next few days, we will be in and out depending on how teams finish in their tournaments. I believe we have to beat Northwestern and play well. We then have to beat Maryland to get off the play-in game spot or the first four out. Anything less than 2 wins and we will become a #1 seed in the NIT.

I am mixed on the NIT. Several teams have used a deep NIT run to come back the next year to make a good run in the NCAA. I won't be happy if we play in the NIT, but if we are there, let's win the thing.  The last time I remember playing in the NIT, we lost to Vanderbilt in front of 5,000 fans.  The team didn't acted like they wanted to be playing.