Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

7 minutes ago, NashvilleHoosier said:

Alright someone help me with the narrative that Big Ten teams can't be successful in the tournament until they change they way they play? Why is it the only conference whose style of play doesn't translate? If there are so many great teams in the conference, why doesn't the Big Ten style of play become the style that is successful in the tournament? Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm just not buying that narrative. 

Officials call fouls for tackling in the tournament. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I think you’ve lost your mind. Archie couldn’t even make the NCAA tournament. Archie train was ran out of Bloomington for incompetence. 

Regular season definitely matters. Doesn’t mean upsets don’t happen in the tournament. That’s what makes the tournament so fun and special. 

To be clear. I was trolling. 

Just now, VO5 said:

Style of play. Watch how other teams play compared to the BIG and it makes sense

Not only that the B1G is reffed a certain way as compared to the other conferences.  I can watch the same ref do a B1G game and ref it a certain way  and then watch that same guy ref and different league and actually call the tackle basketball, actually calling grabbing a dribblers arm while they are driving.   Once a B1G team doesn’t get those calls and non B1G refs do their games they struggle.  Probably has to do with talent also but until they start calling games like the rest of the leagues it’s going to be an uphill battle 

Just now, Uspshoosier said:

Not only that the B1G is reffed a certain way as compared to the other conferences.  I can watch the same ref do a B1G game and ref it a certain way  and then watch that same guy ref and different league and actually call the tackle basketball, actually calling grabbing a dribblers arm while they are driving.   Once a B1G team doesn’t get those calls and non B1G refs do their games they struggle.  Probably has to do with talent also but until they start calling games like the rest of the leagues it’s going to be an uphill battle 

Izzo loves the way the league is reffed. 

4 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Style of play. Watch how other teams play compared to the BIG and it makes sense

This is part of my question though. Why does the Big Ten's style of play not translate to tourney success but other teams style of play does? If the Big Ten is the best conference with so many great teams but the style of play doesn't win against anything other than themselves, wouldn't that just mean the Big Ten is just a bit of a fraud and overrated?

So you’re telling me Holtmann and Underwood are both out?? 

But I thought regular season was important??
Archie Trains rolls on! 

I really never considered you a troll on here and have seen others accuse you of being one. I didn't believe them as you have been a great poster on here but what in the heck is this post supposed to mean? I really would like a explanation. What archie train exactly and where would it be going. Worst coach in Indiana modern era. You have every right to support him but making a post like this you owe us a explanation on why you feel this way lol. I don't mean to come off rude either I really woul just like to know what you still love about archie

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

I really never considered you a troll on here and have seen others accuse you of being one. I didn't believe them as you have been a great poster on here but what in the heck is this post supposed to mean? I really would like a explanation. What archie train exactly and where would it be going. Worst coach in Indiana modern era. You have every right to support him but making a post like this you owe us a explanation on why you feel this way lol. I don't mean to come off rude either I really woul just like to know what you still love about archie

I sometimes troll on here, in a funny way. (imo of course). 

Indiana Basketball sucks and Brad Stevens doesn't want us. Let me have some fun before we get hit with bad news :( 

5 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

In his defense, that train was rolling....straight off a cliff.

People trying to put 2 puzzle pieces together to explain B1G’s dreadfulness in the tournament. It’s odd to say the least. There must be some connection. Generally I’d say it’s talent as the ACC usually has more.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Talent is a huge factor. Last year the B1G had 1 first round pick (Jalen Smith), and 2 second round picks (Xavier Tillman and Cassius Winston). The only B1G players currently in the league that have been an all star are Oladipo, Draymond, and Mike Conley. They just don’t produce the same kind of talent other P5 conferences seem to lately.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As others have stated, it's not any one aspect of the Big 1.0 but a collection that causes the Big 1.0 to struggle for the big prize. 

1)  The Big 1.0 is tackle basketball and works well in conference and during some noncon games.  There are teams that are capable of playing both to some degree but have been using the "beat the ****" out of the competition for months before the NCAA tourney.

2)  The physicality of the Big 1.0 is a turnoff for big time recruits and it's shown in where the top talents have been going other places

3)  To the above points, the Big 1.0 loves to showcase its physicality and veteran players.  Dickinson was 3rd team All Big 1.0 and 3rd team All America.  Weird

4)  The months of beating the **** out of each other takes a toll on players before the tourney.  The tourney is officiated differently and some players can't/don't adjust.

Several years ago the $EC commish was fed up with how poor the conference was in basketball.  He issued a statement to be better, which was translated by its members as "do whatever you have to do to win."  The conference brought in coaches like Pearl, Barnes, Howland, Martin, Wade, and others that are in between shady and downright cheats.  They're not the best conference but they win national championships.

The ACC is even worse than the $EC with Syracuse, U of No Classes, Miami, U of 6, and others being in some sort of trouble of the last handful of years.  However, they've won 9 of the last 20 championships with maybe 1 or 2 not being completely dirty. 

35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Officials call fouls for tackling in the tournament. 

Ok but total fouls:

ILL: 18, Loyola: 16 

OSU: 17, ORU: 16

MSU: 19, UCLA: 15

It doesn’t appear that any player had minutes limited by foul trouble. the only game of those 3 where there was any notable FT disparity was Loyola 22, ILL 13. And watching that game it sure as hell didn’t seem like it was the way it was being officiated had any influence on the outcome. 

What am I missing? 

I sometimes troll on here, in a funny way. (imo of course). 
Indiana Basketball sucks and Brad Stevens doesn't want us. Let me have some fun before we get hit with bad news :( 
Sorry. For being a @$$ just tired of archie miller. More disappointed i guess

Another aspect of it, the Big 1.0 teams are typically older which affords them an advantage in early noncon games.  The younger, more talented teams build and get better throughout the season where they shine in the tourney.  The Big 1.0 is getting exposed in this tourney.

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I love watching Big Ten teams lose. It's great. I really love watching everyone lose other than IU. 

With you on this. I can’t stand watching other B1G teams win with the exception of this Rutgers team. Rooting for them. 

3 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I love watching Big Ten teams lose. It's great. I really love watching everyone lose other than IU. 

I agree, they're definitely not shedding any tears for us when we're down.