Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Arkansas was mocked for their ridiculously easy nonconference schedule. They played eight non-con games. Three of their wins were against North Texas, Oral Roberts, and Abilene Christian.

IU’s supposed good non-con wins were against Stanford, Providence, and Butler.

Arky’s resume not looking like such an easy nonconference schedule anymore, eh?

North Texas, Oral Roberts and Abilene Christian have more wins than IU now in the NCAA Tourney over the last 5 years. How people judge some things is just silly. Stanford and Providence were as bad as us. Butler just completely sucked. 

I was just looking back at the 04-05 season. I remember as a kid having a super close game against Oral Roberts so I had to look it up. That was my 5th grade year(yes it ended up perfect where the year it was second semester was what grade I was in, really helps me remember things). That season we were 15-14(10-6). Probably 2-3 wins away from the NCAA Tourney. But there was a stretch at the beginning of that season where we lost 6 games in a row. We had beaten Indiana State and Western Illinois by 4 a piece and then went on this schedule...

Lost to #9 North Carolina at home by 7(Eventual Champs with Felton, Green, McCants and them)

Lost to #7 UConn at UConn by 5(ended up a 2 seed. Had Rudy ***, Villanueva, Boone etc)

Lost to Notre Dame at home by 10(17-12 non tourney team. Had Chris Quinn)

Lost to #10 Kentucky at Freedom Hall by 15(They ended up being a 2 seed. Had Azubuike, Chuck Hayes and freshmen Morris and Rondo).

Lost to Mizzou at Mizzou by 3(they werent very good. Losing record. Snyder was still the coach and had Lina's Kleiza)

Lost to Charlotte at home by 1(they ended up a 7 seed. I remember this game as well just a bit).

But how ridiculous of a scheduling stretch is that? You would never get that nowadays. Absolutely insane non con schedule. 

And there is a history lesson for everyone. 

8 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Just another reason why this sport delivers every single night.   Texas should win this game 10-10 times and they didn’t. A couple years ago in this thread on a random night of me watching I stumbled across an Abilene Christian game on espn + and posted I’m about to watch it because it was one of the few teams I never watched.  After that I would make a point of watching some of their games against SF Austin and Sam Houston St and noticed they were getting better each year.  Never thought I would see them take down Texas but that was fun even though I had Texas going far.  

You’re right. I would have sworn about the last thing that would happen to UT would be for Coleman and Ramey, who have played so much high level ball, to implode like that. Even when you think you can call it, you can’t.

I still think Ill comes back to win this but this was my fear with them.  Cockburn isn't passing out of double and triple teams and struggling around the basket.  If he decides to try to simply out physical the smaller defenders he'll pickup fouls.  That wouldn't be the case in the Big 1.0.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

Is Archie's name getting thrown around for any openings?

No. It would be smart to collect the giant check and come back next year. More job openings next year too! 

That charge call was awful, but I've also seen college officials going more the route of NBA refs and calling a shooting foul only when a shot misses. I hope that's not becoming a thing, a foul is a foul, so call it and not wait to see if the shot doesn't go in. Getting off my soap box now