Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

29 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Speaking on just the Beard part...Texas Tech doesn’t play a whole lot faster than UVA. Their past few years on offense have been in the mid/high 200s nationally in tempo. Not sure what they do on defense compared to Archie - I’m sure Demo or one of our smarter basketball people could speak to that - but I’m not seeing how Beard’s style is much different than what we’ve been watching based on what I’ve seen. 

I see two main differences between Beard and Bennett. First, Beard's teams seem to play the way they do in the Big 12 because that gives them the best chance to win. I might be mistaken but I think Beard's team at A-LR played a bit faster. Bennett's teams play the way they do no matter what. 

The other main difference is that Beard is a candidate, maybe a long shot, but still a possibility. Bennett is... well, let's just say that Brad Stevens is more likely to be the coach at IU than him. 

4 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

I see two main differences between Beard and Bennett. First, Beard's teams seem to play the way they do in the Big 12 because that gives them the best chance to win. I might be mistaken but I think Beard's team at A-LR played a bit faster. Bennett's teams play the way they do no matter what. 

The other main difference is that Beard is a candidate, maybe a long shot, but still a possibility. Bennett is... well, let's just say that Brad Stevens is more likely to be the coach at IU than him. 

I was more defending Bennett’s style just in general, not necessarily as a candidate although I’d like him to be. I understand he isn’t and probably never will be, though. 

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I am indescribably happy that Matt Haarms doesn’t play for Purdue anymore. 

He was very easy to dislike, but I think they woulda been worse with him and Eastern this year... guess it doesn’t matter, first round exit regardless.

Just now, madmax said:

He was very easy to dislike, but I think they woulda been worse with him and Eastern this year... guess it doesn’t matter, first round exit regardless.

Agree with Eastern, but not so sure about with Haarms. That would’ve been an extremely not fun 3-deep to deal with for anyone. 

19 minutes ago, hoosierbgh said:

I am more than happy to have Bennett not considering us.  His system is like watching paint dry and makes you extremely prone to early tournament flame outs.  I will be fine if I never see the pack line at IU ever again.

God, I love watching UVA lose. Their style wins but it’s a pestilence on the game. And when Crean had the pair to take the IU job, Bennett wanted no part of it. So I’m great with him losing. It’s almost personal for me. I just hate what they do and I hate that he didn’t want to take on a tough, high expectation job. Don’t care if he’s great. 

I ‘m just not a fan of the way UVA plays. A bit too slow-paced for me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just another reason why this sport delivers every single night.   Texas should win this game 10-10 times and they didn’t. A couple years ago in this thread on a random night of me watching I stumbled across an Abilene Christian game on espn + and posted I’m about to watch it because it was one of the few teams I never watched.  After that I would make a point of watching some of their games against SF Austin and Sam Houston St and noticed they were getting better each year.  Never thought I would see them take down Texas but that was fun even though I had Texas going far.  

Arkansas was mocked for their ridiculously easy nonconference schedule. They played eight non-con games. Three of their wins were against North Texas, Oral Roberts, and Abilene Christian.

IU’s supposed good non-con wins were against Stanford, Providence, and Butler.

Arky’s resume not looking like such an easy nonconference schedule anymore, eh?

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Arkansas was mocked for their ridiculously easy nonconference schedule. They played eight non-con games. Three of their wins were against North Texas, Oral Roberts, and Abilene Christian.

IU’s supposed good non-con wins were against Stanford, Providence, and Butler.

Arky’s resume not looking like such an easy nonconference schedule anymore, eh?

I’m 100% down for muss at this point considering our other options.