Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 hours ago, DChoosier said:

True but yet many continue to act as though we lost to UE that night.  
The tall Cuse guards shut down smaller guards all year and we featured 5’11”/6’0 Yogi and injured shoulder Hulls who combined for a total of 0-8 from the field.  And in the following game Syracuse held 3 seed Marquette to 39 points. They were on a roll.
Yes, Crean was not good (sucked) vs zones but it was a terrible match-up which is one of the challenges of the tourney.

I think Cody just put his head down and tried to bull through the middle of the zone again 

11 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I don't know of any big time coach that is in a worse spot currently.  Which is why I noted him earlier this year as one of the few top tier guys IU should have on a shortlist somewhere. Somebody will pull him out of UVA soon and if he's given even 2nd tier resources he'll spend the next decade+ building conf championship winning teams that compete for another title or two.  

My guess is Wisconsin would move on from Gard for him. They could probably get a bigger NIL commitment from alumni to make it happen.  

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

I don't know of any big time coach that is in a worse spot currently.  Which is why I noted him earlier this year as one of the few top tier guys IU should have on a shortlist somewhere. Somebody will pull him out of UVA soon and if he's given even 2nd tier resources he'll spend the next decade+ building conf championship winning teams that compete for another title or two.  

My guess is Wisconsin would move on from Gard for him. They could probably get a bigger NIL commitment from alumni to make it happen.  

This will be a really interesting situation to follow. Have always felt like Bennett would never leave UVA because he had the chance to win there without the pressurized expectations of typical power conference jobs, which he clearly wants no part of. But this new reality may force him to choose between his comfort zone and being able to compete year in year out. 

21 hours ago, Demo said:

Have always felt like Bennett would never leave UVA because he had the chance to win there without the pressurized expectations of typical power conference jobs, which he clearly wants no part of. 

Agree. He doesn't seem like the type to go to a Kentucky. With that said,  there are plenty of places that are good jobs where basketball is lower pressure to almost an after thought.  

I simply do not know how any of these programs with transfer restrictions and non-elite NILs compete. In a world where kids can exit at any time for any reason, you simply can't have a de facto prohibition on top undergrads coming in.  

I'm still curious how the Dusty May thing plays out. People seemed to think UM had a similar admission policy.  Louisville seemed like such a fit for May, I can't fathom that he didn't get some concessions from them. Is it still thought they blocked Davis or did Cal just pay more? 

48 minutes ago, str8baller said:

With that said,  there are plenty of places that are good jobs where basketball is lower pressure to almost an after thought.  

Hate to say it, but maybe when Wisconsin finally decides they’ve had enough with Gard?

41 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Hate to say it, but maybe when Wisconsin finally decides they’ve had enough with Gard?

Wonder if he would go to a place where his dad is revered? 

Can professional basketball players now be on NCAA teams? Can you imagine the hired hitter coming in for the big games and then going back to...the NBA? /s 

Of course not.  By playing in the NBA they would have waived their eligibility. Once you go professional, you can no longer play amateur athletics.  Then why do I remember some foreign paid players seeking NCAA approval to play in the NCAA? 

Is there a trend to change now that the NIL and $$$$ has broken it all open?  I cannot imagine the NCAA discussing the topic of the mega conferences vs NCAA survival and uncontrolled payments to players and unionization.

Man, I should have been 6'10", could fly like Moye dance like Priller, sing like Oladipo, play like George McGinnis, and have the personality, humor and good looks of Dave from Dayton.  I could walk around downtown anywhere, and my pockets would fill with debit cards.  

I should never have given up smoking pot.  Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

Interesting. Since there’s zero chance this is compensation-related, got to assume 1 of 2 things: : 1) Wyoming’s NIL is for $hit, or 2) I seem to vaguely recall player allegations of mistreatment and maybe any investigation there wasn’t gonna end well and ol’ Jeff found a life raft.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Interesting. Since there’s zero chance this is compensation-related, got to assume 1 of 2 things: : 1) Wyoming’s NIL is for $hit, or 2) I seem to vaguely recall player allegations of mistreatment and maybe any investigation there wasn’t gonna end well and ol’ Jeff found a life raft.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/is-jeff-linder-still-the-guy-for-the-university-of-wyoming/article_10b29d64-c450-11ed-a977-fb55dfddacf3.html

That article from a year ago touches on #2 but it sounds like speculation on social media due to 3 players transferring midseason and 3 more right after the season ended. Not surprising with a bad team, which that was. Unless things have changed since then, it doesn't sound like the fans will miss him.

On 5/10/2024 at 3:39 PM, Demo said:

Grand Canyon is a really nice add. Seattle is gonna be overmatched, at least early on.

Seattle has been 141, 139, and 107 in Pom the last three years.  That would have put them 6th out of 11 three years ago, 7th out 11 two years ago, and 4th out of 10 last year.  They should be a middle of the pack in the WCC.