Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hopefully we see some improvement in the secondary.  I thought we kept KJ Duff in good containment until we had lapses in the second half.  I don't think their rbs can run on our defense, but mobile QBs have shown us to be a problem.  We do seem to be susceptible on the edges when rbs/qbs aren't contained. I still think we should win this game just not as easily as say it would have been in the past couple years.  

Posted
22 minutes ago, skhoosier2 said:

Hopefully we see some improvement in the secondary.  I thought we kept KJ Duff in good containment until we had lapses in the second half.  I don't think their rbs can run on our defense, but mobile QBs have shown us to be a problem.  We do seem to be susceptible on the edges when rbs/qbs aren't contained. I still think we should win this game just not as easily as say it would have been in the past couple years.  

We didn't really have 'lapses'. Duff made a couple of fantastic catches on really good throws while covered. The other team (even crap-@$$ Rugter) is trying too.

I'm not sure I saw a single blown coverage against Rugters. They were 11-20 for 195 yards passing - that's world's different that what Rugters did in the air against USC and BC. And we held Duff to his fewest catches, his lowest yards, and his first game without a touchdown this season. For me that's what matters.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We didn't really have 'lapses'. Duff made a couple of fantastic catches on really good throws while covered. The other team (even crap-@$$ Rugter) is trying too.

I'm not sure I saw a single blown coverage against Rugters. They were 11-20 for 195 yards passing - that's world's different that what Rugters did in the air against USC and BC. And we held Duff to his fewest catches, his lowest yards, and his first game without a touchdown this season. For me that's what matters.

Yup. Sometimes you just tip your hat to the opponent. Rutgers actually has a solid offense...and the throws were perfectly placed. They were borderline indefensible. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

We didn't really have 'lapses'. Duff made a couple of fantastic catches on really good throws while covered. The other team (even crap-@$$ Rugter) is trying too.

I'm not sure I saw a single blown coverage against Rugters. They were 11-20 for 195 yards passing - that's world's different that what Rugters did in the air against USC and BC. And we held Duff to his fewest catches, his lowest yards, and his first game without a touchdown this season. For me that's what matters.

I think on the first TD Bell lost the ball in the weird Rutgers Stadium lights -- but he was in the right position.  If he saw it I think he breaks that up.

Not saying our secondary is perfect, just an observtion.

Posted

Lapses may have been the wrong wording.  We had the same thing happen last season as well at some points.  It happens.  But our secondary is not deep nor is it the strongest point of our defense.  Bell has played outstanding.  He's young and wasn't slated to step into the starter spot.  He's done a great job.  I was simply recognizing there were times in the second half where we didn't turn heads to defend the pass and got beat.  Most teams will be better offensively than Rutgers so recognizing that's an area we can improve is of benefit.  But KJ Duff is elite.  Losing Ponds/Moore/Fisher/Boykin was something I was concerned about in the backend.  They created havoc and alot of turnovers.  I do believe this week tells us more about our team before OSU.  

Posted
36 minutes ago, Demo said:

Sure, it would be undignified but I am willing to get down on my hands and knees and beg Rhule to try to jam Marsh and Becker. 

I guess they don't believe we have other weapons not to mention a 1-2 punch in the backfield.  That's the thing about this offense.  You can't just game plan for let's say one JS4 because if you want to stop Marsh there's Becker, you want to stop him well then there's Morris or Preston or Chandler.  We can use our TEs and then there's our beast of a running game.  We have so many ways to beat you on offense.  I would argue aside from TE and QB (who i think is more than fine and doesn't need to be Fernando) that we are stronger this year on O than we were last.  Our young TEs are really coming along, and we will be good there in the future years. Our offensive line continues to look stronger every game.  We are really just rounding into form which I think has mostly been the same last couple years.  While we aren't blowing people out as we did the previous two years, I think there is no concern warranted on the offensive side of the ball with all of the ways we can beat teams.

Posted
1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

There's a long thread on the Rivals about this game and every Nebraska fan thinks they get rolled. 

Battered Husker Syndrome.

But advanced metrics, whatever those are worth, don't think we turn this into a 2024 IU Nebraska belting. Feels like a 10ish point win to me, but we never feel super uncomfortable. Similar to the Northwestern game, but maybe not as ugly of a product.

Posted
4 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Battered Husker Syndrome.

But advanced metrics, whatever those are worth, don't think we turn this into a 2024 IU Nebraska belting. Feels like a 10ish point win to me, but we never feel super uncomfortable. Similar to the Northwestern game, but maybe not as ugly of a product.

Evidently their D-line is awful, their QB is a lesser version of Chiles, and they haven't beaten a ranked opponent in their last 31 tries.

That last point has to be fact checked though. O-31 against ranked opponents is obscene. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Evidently their D-line is awful, their QB is a lesser version of Chiles, and they haven't beaten a ranked opponent in their last 31 tries.

That last point has to be fact checked though. O-31 against ranked opponents is obscene. 

That’s a pre Cignetti IU stat line. 
 

Apparently it’s gonna be super windy on Saturday. That would seem to help us 

Posted
1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

Evidently their D-line is awful, their QB is a lesser version of Chiles, and they haven't beaten a ranked opponent in their last 31 tries.

That last point has to be fact checked though. O-31 against ranked opponents is obscene. 

The 0-31 record is real and when you couple that with their recent record in one-score games (at some point last year they had won ~25% out of a 60 game sample size), you start to feel bad for Nebraska fans. 

Posted
37 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

The 0-31 record is real and when you couple that with their recent record in one-score games (at some point last year they had won ~25% out of a 60 game sample size), you start to feel bad for Nebraska fans. 

I just checked my feelings and I can say with certainty that no, I do not.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...