Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

35 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

A team that is athletic and running will never feature Malik Reneau.

And yet next season we again will feature Malik Reneau.

Not to get too off track, but Reneau's stats compared to another player -- other player was two inches taller than Reneau but he played on an up tempo team and was VERY featured his junior and senior year and no one would have raved about his athleticism:

Reneau:  MPG:  28.7  PTS 15.4 REB 6.0 AST 2.7 FG%:  56  3PT FG:  33  FT: 68  ST:  0.5  BS:  0.6  TO:  2.8  F:  3.1

Player B:  MPG:  23.7  PTS 13.1 REB:  4.5  AST: 1.1  FG%:  53%  3PT FG:  29%  FT: 80  ST:  0.3 BS:  0.5  TO: 1.3  F:  2.3

Not saying that Reneau is player B at all, but player B I believe ended up as a Big Ten Conference POY and played in the NBA.  I just think that putting a player into a certain category ("athletic" or "non-athletic") eliminates the things that they do well.  A good coach maximizes what his players do to make the team complete.  Whether you have any reason to believe that will be done is a different matter (and a different thread) but I think almost every coach would want to have the option of having a 15 point scorer back who was only a sophomore and did it without taking a bulk number of shots.

Trevor Andershock @INBBallSource

Indiana has an early focus on point guards this transfer portal season, and UT-Martin's Jordan Sears is one of the main ones.

39% on 3s for his 2 seasons at UT Martin. 

https://utmsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jordan-sears/4764

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trevor Andershock @INBBallSource

Indiana has an early focus on point guards this transfer portal season, and UT-Martin's Jordan Sears is one of the main ones.

39% on 3s for his 2 seasons at UT Martin. 

https://utmsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jordan-sears/4764

A very well-informed poster has told me that Sears is a fantastic get for any P5 team.

Based on what he believes, Sears could truly change our season.

24 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not to get too off track, but Reneau's stats compared to another player -- other player was two inches taller than Reneau but he played on an up tempo team and was VERY featured his junior and senior year and no one would have raved about his athleticism:

Reneau:  MPG:  28.7  PTS 15.4 REB 6.0 AST 2.7 FG%:  56  3PT FG:  33  FT: 68  ST:  0.5  BS:  0.6  TO:  2.8  F:  3.1

Player B:  MPG:  23.7  PTS 13.1 REB:  4.5  AST: 1.1  FG%:  53%  3PT FG:  29%  FT: 80  ST:  0.3 BS:  0.5  TO: 1.3  F:  2.3

Not saying that Reneau is player B at all, but player B I believe ended up as a Big Ten Conference POY and played in the NBA.  I just think that putting a player into a certain category ("athletic" or "non-athletic") eliminates the things that they do well.  A good coach maximizes what his players do to make the team complete.  Whether you have any reason to believe that will be done is a different matter (and a different thread) but I think almost every coach would want to have the option of having a 15 point scorer back who was only a sophomore and did it without taking a bulk number of shots.

Besides Woodson force feeding the post and Reneau forcing shots up with 3 people surrounding him, do you honestly think Woodson can and will utilize Reneau to put him in a position to be a successful overall contributor other than just scoring.  We need him to be more of a rim protector,  rebounder, rim runner and passer.  IMO, Reneau hasn't showed much of that overall game and I have 0 confidence that Woodson can coach him up to get him to improve in all of those categories 

So apparently Tony Perkins is our new Bruce Thornton. Lol. I don’t love it, but I’m sure others will. The only Iowa player I want is Peyton Sandfort. Iowa will just play Dix and not skip a beat, and we will do whatever it is that Perkins does.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

7 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

So apparently Tony Perkins is our new Bruce Thornton. Lol. I don’t love it, but I’m sure others will. The only Iowa player I want is Peyton Sandfort. Iowa will just play Dix and not skip a beat, and we will do whatever it is that Perkins does.

Him and his 29% 3 point percentage will fit right in. 

2 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Besides Woodson force feeding the post and Reneau forcing shots up with 3 people surrounding him, do you honestly think Woodson can and will utilize Reneau to put him in a position to be a successful overall contributor other than just scoring.  We need him to be more of a rim protector,  rebounder, rim runner and passer.  IMO, Reneau hasn't showed much of that overall game and I have 0 confidence that Woodson can coach him up to get him to improve in all of those categories 

Reneau seems like an easy punching bag because of some head scratching things he does, but he does finish.  178 of 290 inside the paint is a solid D1 percentage (61%).  Average is at 50%, so regardless of him 'forcing shots up with 3 people surrounding him', he's making shots.

People seem to want everything from a player.....you want him to not only score but be more of a rim protector, a rebounder, a rim runner, and a passer.  EVERYBODY wants the guy you are talking about. Give me three of the guys you are talking about and I'll win a national championship.  

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I think everybody would take Thornton over Perkins.  But as of now, only one of them is available.

Pay Peyton Sandfort a cool million. I really don’t want to watch a Tony Perkins lead Hoosiers team. This is gonna be so frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

My guess? We will stay the same, but with better guards.

My guess, too. Not how I’d do it but I also think it can absolutely work — IU’s best offensive games under CMW have been with X, Trey, or JHS playing at their peaks.

if you had a couple guys with high floors, it can work. Just think better schemes can put players in less of a tightrope walk

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Pay Peyton Sandfort a cool million. I really don’t want to watch a Tony Perkins lead Hoosiers team. This is gonna be so frustrating.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Don't watch doc!

https://hoosierillustrated.com/indiana-basketball-involved-with-iowa-transfer-guard-tony-perkins/