Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I agree we need a stud like RJ Davis as our lead guard. But I would only take one more PG on the roster. Need shooters. Trey can always be a backup PG.

I don't know. We have spent much of the last two seasons with no backup PG. I don't really want to repeat that.

I also think it's wise to bring someone in to compete with Cupps for minutes. Woody did not do that last year with Gunn and Banks, and got burned when they didn't develop like he hoped.

1 minute ago, Shooter said:

I don't know. We have spent much of the last two seasons with no backup PG. I don't really want to repeat that.

I also think it's wise to bring someone in to compete with Cupps for minutes. Woody did not do that last year with Gunn and Banks, and got burned when they didn't develop like he hoped.

You know that’s a different way to think about it and I like it. I tend to agree with that logic.

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think things will start to heat up after this weekend. We'll be down to 16 teams and have a better feel for whose in and whose out

Yeah portal land hasn't even gotten started really. 

We will start to see if some of these transfer rumors are true over the next two weeks as the tournament plays out.

image.thumb.png.ddbc9bfb9417590e13e434163a549af8.png

SIAP, but Leland Walker's efficiency page on Bart Torvik.

Positives:

Offensive rating - 107 (up from 90 his freshman year)

Assist rate - 24.8

Turnover rate - 17.3

FT %: 83%

Negatives:

Offensive rating against top 100 - 81.5 (only two games, PU and Alabama)

High usage rate: 28.6 (will he be able to fit in as a reserve guard with a high usage rate both years at EKU?)

3pt: 34 %

15 minutes ago, IUc2016 said:

image.thumb.png.ddbc9bfb9417590e13e434163a549af8.png

SIAP, but Lealand Walker's efficiency page on Bart Torvik.

Positives:

Offensive rating - 107 (up from 90 his freshman year)

Assist rate - 24.8

Turnover rate - 17.3

FT %: 83%

Negatives:

Offensive rating against top 100 - 81.5 (only two games, PU and Alabama)

High usage rate: 28.6 (will he be able to fit in as a reserve guard with a high usage rate both years at EKU?)

3pt: 34 %

I would look at him as a starter if he transfers here.  Get him, another on the ball guy off the bench 6'2-6'4 to pair with Cupps, backup up 3 that can shoot it.. it's a start. 

Walker avged 17p 4a 3r and shot 39% from 3 in conference games. He also gets to the line a lot.. shot over 5 FTs a game in conference play hitting 82%. 

I feel we should want Leland Walker. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would look at him as a starter if he transfers here.  Get him, another on the ball guy off the bench 6'2-6'4 to pair with Cupps, backup up 3 that can shoot it.. it's a start. 

Walker avged 17p 4a 3r and shot 39% from 3 in conference games. He also gets to the line a lot.. shot over 5 FTs a game in conference play hitting 82%. 

I feel we should want Leland Walker. 

accumulated those numbers against bad competition as an undersized guard at EKY.   The 3 point percentage is 34%.  maybe that number stays similar as he is a good free throw shooter but everything else will be harder for him.  

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

accumulated those numbers against bad competition as an undersized guard at EKY.   The 3 point percentage is 34%.  maybe that number stays similar as he is a good free throw shooter but everything else will be harder for him.  

Ehh. We heard this stuff a lot last year. 

Ace Baldwin had no issues going to a bigger league. 

I think Walker's game might just be taking off, now that his body is where it needs to be. He was 5'10 150lbs as a JR in HS... 6'1 185lbs now. 

I don't agree with "will be harder for him", ultimately, maybe the added talent around him-- TG, MR, and MM helps him get more 1 on 1s, compared to what he got at EKU where he had to be at the top of the scouting report. Just as likely. 

image.thumb.png.229c9451eae128c4fb2f00cec4602c14.png

Tyson Walker's Bart Torvik page just for reference. Really similar size to Leland and a pretty similar name (lol). 

But the stats are pretty comparable for the first two years at a lower league from an offensive standpoint. Again, not saying this will be Leland's projection, but just thought it was interesting. When Tyson jumped to the big ten his rating actually increased on less usage. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Ehh. We heard this stuff a lot last year. 

Ace Baldwin had no issues going to a bigger league. 

I think Walker's game might just be taking off, now that his body is where it needs to be. He was 5'10 150lbs as a JR in HS... 6'1 185lbs now. 

I don't agree with "will be harder for him", ultimately, maybe the added talent around him-- TG, MR, and MM helps him get more 1 on 1s, compared to what he got at EKU where he had to be at the top of the scouting report. Just as likely. 

Agree to disagree on this one.  He’s not necessarily a plus athlete either.  

Ace Baldwin is your comp?  Ace is a tenacious defender and always has been. And yes, his efficiency numbers did drop.  He was a great defender on a bad team and inefficient offensive guy.  

id rather have Ace Baldwin but I don’t want either of them 

20 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It will be harder for him.  But I'm not saying he's going to put up 15.4 points and 4 assists per game at IU.  I don't think that would be the expectation.  He would be a backcourt piece.

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Ace Baldwin is your comp?  Ace is a tenacious defender and always has been. And yes, his efficiency numbers did drop.  He was a great defender on a bad team and inefficient offensive guy.  

I think you might like Ace Baldwin in a role where there wasn't a need for him to put up 11 shots per game.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Holy cow.. Indiana would be in sooo much better of a spot with Ace Baldwin. 

Avged 15p 7a 3r 3s in conference games. Don't want him? 

Yeah agree to disagree. 

11 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I would kill for Ace Baldwin as IU's point guard. 

That being said, Ace's level of competition at VCU in the A-10 was significantly stronger than Walker's competition at Eastern Kentucky in the A-SUN.