Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

Just now, IUGRAD06 said:

As much as I crapped on Mbagko this past season he was better than Carlyle.  Carlyle in no way in hell is starting over him.  

Just wanted to hear what people had to think about it. I can't see Carlyle wanting to come here to come off the bench...He's a consensus top 15-20 transfer. It sounds like it is just about a done deal between him and IU much like Myles Rice (crystal ball and Trilly). Again..GREAT problem to have. But, somebody is going to have to come off the bench. That being said...those guys can still see plenty of playing time. It's just a different mindset. 

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not sure we should worry about who is starting and who isn't when the roster isn't set.  Also thinking starting is irrelevant  It's all about minutes and combinations on the floor.

it's April 14. Just a fun conversation on what ifs. Nothing wrong with it. And agree on last part somewhat. Our top 7 guys I think will see plenty of playing time. Guys 8-10 not sure. 

4 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Not sure we should worry about who is starting and who isn't when the roster isn't set.  Also thinking starting is irrelevant  It's all about minutes and combinations on the floor.

This year’s gonna be different, IMO.

The best players start and then the good ones are first to come off the bench. IMO, Gallo wasn’t promised a starting spot. He was guaranteed more more money guaranteed playing time for stay.

JMHO

GO IU!

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

The rules are you can pay players now. Iu who sucks but sells out assembly hall almost every game should be dropping top dollar to get top talent! Salvaging what's left of the diehard fans and getting new bandwagon fans should be immediately addressed. We have to compete at the highest level and the money will be returned in a big way. However if Woodson truly can't coach could be a huge waste lol. Have to try. Let's pay these guys and let's roll

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

Technically that’s not the rule.  The rule is the player can sell his NIL to third parties.  But like most things with the NCAA it’s been bastardized and had become a defacto slush fund for the coaches.  Which makes it what you say — you can pay players.  :)

10 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

This year’s gonna be different, IMO.

The best players start and then the good ones are first to come off the bench. IMO, Gallo wasn’t promised a starting spot. He was guaranteed more more money guaranteed playing time for stay.

JMHO

GO IU!

If Galloway isn’t starting the better we will be.  He isn’t a starter because he can’t shoot.  I have said this since the beginning of time.  Indiana needs players that call play at all three levels not one. 

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

They did and the one they lost could be a real unicorn.  Played half a season for them last year -- Croatian kid who didn't cleared by the NCAA until second semester.  Name is Zvonimir Ivisic.  Played in 15 games, averaged 12 mpg, 5.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg.  The unicorn part is he's 7'2" and not plays the post but can shoot as well -- made 6 of 16 threes in those 15 games last year and shot 77% from the line.  Shot blocker as well.

Almost sounds like a combination of Humrichous and Elijah Malone in some ways 

24 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

Just wanted to hear what people had to think about it. I can't see Carlyle wanting to come here to come off the bench...He's a consensus top 15-20 transfer. It sounds like it is just about a done deal between him and IU much like Myles Rice (crystal ball and Trilly). Again..GREAT problem to have. But, somebody is going to have to come off the bench. That being said...those guys can still see plenty of playing time. It's just a different mindset. 

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is us forcing the issue on tempo next year.  If we are truly going to be deep, we have a little size at the guard position, let's run some full court press and get into a little more uptempo game.

I don't want to see our guards walking up the floor to dump it to a big guy.  We need to get out and run.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is us forcing the issue on tempo next year.  If we are truly going to be deep, we have a little size at the guard position, let's run some full court press and get into a little more uptempo game.
I don't want to see our guards walking up the floor to dump it to a big guy.  We need to get out and run.

I just don’t see Woodson doing that. There’s no full court press in the NBA, and that’s truly all Woodson knows (if he truly knows that).

Last year he had no shooters and insisted the game is played inside out. Maybe with some shooters this year he can make it work. But I am not expecting any “rocket surgery” type change of philosophy or style of play.

Let’s get the talent and see what he can do with it. And then make a decision about the future.

1 hour ago, Artie86 said:

I know money talks, but so what! If things continue to move in favor of IU with these premium players and desperate needs met, IU is looking pretty “tasty”. Lol

Not to be a downer, but these players while they would be nice additions, they are not program changers. None will have the impact of Ware and they are still being coached by the same group that added 2 5 star players last off season and way under produced and are, in there own words, more inside out then...well...everybody.

In all honesty, this unbridled excitement is over first or second off the bench guys at the program IU once was and strive to be.

4 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

Not to be a downer, but these players while they would be nice additions, they are not program changers. None will have the impact of Ware and they are still being coached by the same group that added 2 5 star players last off season and way under produced and are, in there own words, more inside out then...well...everybody.

In all honesty, this unbridled excitement is over first or second off the bench guys at the programs IU once was and strive to be.

You don't think Myles Rice has the potential to be a program changer? I agree things need to play out. I am not at all sold on this coaching staff. However, Rice had a heck of a season as a freshman (I understand he wasn't a true one). His team made the second round of the NCAA Tournament. Hasn't happened at that school since Klay Thompson was there. 

5 minutes ago, iu eyedoc said:

In all honesty, this unbridled excitement is over first or second off the bench guys at the program IU once was and strive to be.

It’s true that Woodson is still coach and may screw it up again. But how far back are you going to say that these players are coming off the bench for IU? 25? 30? If IU adds Tucker, Rice, Carlysle, Ballo, and whoever else, that’s a huge upgrade in talent.