Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How do you know they are multi year players.  One hopeful is on his third team.  And things are fluid.  It could very well have been a dumpster fire.  My only point is it does have to play out. We have a long long way to go. 

Many of the targets could have multiple years left which would have been better than getting all 1 year guys and doing it all over again next summer.  Not all will be multi year but the first two are. Even if we get the #1 class with all our needs met we all know we have to make it work on the court.  But for now, this is turning out better than I expected. 

9 hours ago, Feathery said:

Sounds like the workplace to me. 

only way to solve this is to make them employees and have collective bargaining with the players union, which needs to form. Then they will have revenue share from the tv contracts. This has been discussed as a reason for conference expansion for awhile. The schools know they will have to share revenue eventually and are getting front of it so when they do share they will still have the 50-60 mil per school they had before. Going to be a few years yet but it will get sorted. 

It’s the polar opposite of the most comparable workplace. The nba has a salary cap, minimum salaries, maximum salaries. Rookie contracts giving teams multiple years of control over their draft picks. None of that exists in today’s NCAA. Some of these guys IU is targeting, like Ballo, for example, really aren’t transferring because they want a change of scenery, want a bigger role, etc. He was a vital starter on a 27-9 sweet 16 season. They’re transferring for a paycheck. IU appears to be a beneficiary of the system, so some are fine with it, but I think it’s terrible for the sport. 

My controversial take of the day is that the players need the schools far more than vice versa. By and large, fans watch/show up to games because of the schools, not to watch particular players. Every now and then you get a transcendent player like Caitlyn Clark, but that’s rare. Players are mostly interchangeable. Take Alabama’s football team, take off the Alabama uniform, slap on a Tuscaloosa Tiger uniform, and maybe 10k people show up for novelty reasons. It’d be just another semi-pro league. So, I kind of reject the premise that the players are the reason the schools are making all this money.  NIL makes me wish that players that players could just go pro right out of high school. Take the top 30 or so recruits out of each class and college sports would chug along just fine. But, I recognize that this is where we are in college athletics, and it’s probably just going to get worse. 

16 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Read earlier Hickman was promising. Guess it was bad info.

And then tonight on The other site,  one says he is going to take the Cincinnati visit. 

Other site still said the visit went well, very likely the plan for Hickman was to visit both IU and Cincy before making any final decision. 

12 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Read earlier Hickman was promising. Guess it was bad info.

And then tonight on The other site,  one says he is going to take the Cincinnati visit. 

Hickman obviously has a connection with Drew Adams who recruited him to Bradley, but not so sure he wouldn’t face the same issue there as he would here in terms of playing time and role. From what I can tell 4 of their top 5 guards return, they are bringing in a top 50 wing, and CJ Fredrick would probably get a 6th year waiver considering he missed most of last season on top of taking a redshirt a few years back. I’d actually argue there’s a better avenue to playing time at Indiana. 

15 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

It’s the polar opposite of the most comparable workplace. The nba has a salary cap, minimum salaries, maximum salaries. Rookie contracts giving teams multiple years of control over their draft picks. None of that exists in today’s NCAA. Some of these guys IU is targeting, like Ballo, for example, really aren’t transferring because they want a change of scenery, want a bigger role, etc. He was a vital starter on a 27-9 sweet 16 season. They’re transferring for a paycheck. IU appears to be a beneficiary of the system, so some are fine with it, but I think it’s terrible for the sport. 

My controversial take of the day is that the players need the schools far more than vice versa. By and large, fans watch/show up to games because of the schools, not to watch particular players. Every now and then you get a transcendent player like Caitlyn Clark, but that’s rare. Players are mostly interchangeable. Take Alabama’s football team, take off the Alabama uniform, slap on a Tuscaloosa Tiger uniform, and maybe 10k people show up for novelty reasons. It’d be just another semi-pro league. So, I kind of reject the premise that the players are the reason the schools are making all this money.  NIL makes me wish that players that players could just go pro right out of high school. Take the top 30 or so recruits out of each class and college sports would chug along just fine. But, I recognize that this is where we are in college athletics, and it’s probably just going to get worse. 

The NIT championship had its highest viewership in 14 years.  Seton Hall isn't a big college bball name and Indiana State is nonexistent.  People love stories, though.  If a nowhere team was all of us a sudden putting up Alabama type of results, the viewership would come in short notice.

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I think what tied the college fan to the college team was the shared experience.  Everyone was a “student.”  We saw those guys around campus.  Some had the same classes.  Saw them at parties. Etc.  Money and transfers have ruined that aspect.  As time goes on the connection will be lost and they may as well be Tuscaloosa Tigers. It’s happened with professional free agency — the players just rent the uniform.  The fans are fans “for life.”  But honestly I have lost interest in the pros — I have little clue who’s on the team these days.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’d argue the NBA is not the normal working environment. I was referring to the average workplace  

I work as a contracted worker but I can break the contract with notice. So I support the right of anyone to have free movement of employment. I know I don’t want anyone telling me I have to stay somewhere I don’t want to be. 

also if the players aren’t worth it then why is Iu paying? Bc they are worth if you want to compete. If you want to be a D2 school then sure don’t pay NIL. 

4 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

The reality is what ever is done the next few weeks with the roster still needs to equate to wins come November-March.  It’s only one leg of a three legged stool. 

I'd argue that you have to get players so you can win come November-March. I'd like to equate it to what a wise man once said, "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

6 hours ago, patrickmorriso9 said:

I'd argue that you have to get players so you can win come November-March. I'd like to equate it to what a wise man once said, "you can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning"

I'll drink to that.

The worst thing about some people is that when they are not drunk, they are sober.

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.

I like Cupps.  But mugs hold a pint a lot easier.  Cupps just isn't big enough.  Plus one can only get a few shots out of Cupps.

I like Galloway.  But we need excellent guards or more whiskey.

Later today, I will give a toast to Coach Ya.  OK.  Maybe this morning.

I have a mixed feeling about getting Ballo.  The mixed feeling is an Old Fashioned made with bourbon. One year of eligibility and how will Reneau feel about that.  Enough to send me off the wagon, again.

I went to an AA meeting.  I asked about travel advice.  They said that was a question for AAA.  It was worth a shot.

A couple of weeks ago, got back from vacation visiting family in S. Diego, Palm Springs, Lake Havasu & Las Vegas.  So many breweries...so little time.  Saw a strange atmospheric (?) event early one evening in Palm Springs.  Huge, vaporous glow and trail streaking across the sky.  It was a Falcon 9 rocket.  Almost swore off drinking.  

If ever near Balboa Park in San Diego...check out the Mothership Bar. SDM - First Look - Mothership-201.jpg

6 hours ago, patrickmorriso9 said:

Of course you need players.  But we have been here.  The “true fans” vastly overestimate the effects those new players are going to have. We get all hyped up because we got — fill in the blank.  It’s going to be a new era in IU basketball. Banner 6 is on the way.  Then come November we inexplicably still can’t guard the 3.   Offense is still disjointed with no spacing and movement.  It’s maddening.  

I was one of those “true” fans.  I thought Ware was going to make a difference.  I thought MM would be an upgrade.  I thought Woodson could recruit.  I pumped the sunshine.  I was a face painter.  I’m in recovery now.  Never again.  I am not falling for it.  Going to have to prove it to me now.  

With all the visits and interest I really have to wonder who the odd man out is. Rice, Carlisle, Conwell and Ballo are not transferring to come off the bench, and one would assume Hickman would have to be talked into it. I am not sure where Gallo fits in the puzzle. That said, a lineup of Ballo, MR, MM, Rice and Conwell with Gallo/Hickman/Tucker off the bench would be pretty exciting. Pie in the sky hypothetical of course, but it seems like we have serious traction with all these guys. I wonder if Kanaan/Conwell are an either or situation. I cannot imagine any world where we land both and one comes off the bench, but who knows. 

41 minutes ago, Dave from Dayton said:

I'll drink to that.

The worst thing about some people is that when they are not drunk, they are sober.

I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I had lost exactly two weeks.

I like Cupps.  But mugs hold a pint a lot easier.  Cupps just isn't big enough.  Plus one can only get a few shots out of Cupps.

I like Galloway.  But we need excellent guards or more whiskey.

Later today, I will give a toast to Coach Ya.  OK.  Maybe this morning.

I have a mixed feeling about getting Ballo.  The mixed feeling is an Old Fashioned made with bourbon. One year of eligibility and how will Reneau feel about that.  Enough to send me off the wagon, again.

I went to an AA meeting.  I asked about travel advice.  They said that was a question for AAA.  It was worth a shot.

A couple of weeks ago, got back from vacation visiting family in S. Diego, Palm Springs, Lake Havasu & Las Vegas.  So many breweries...so little time.  Saw a strange atmospheric (?) event early one evening in Palm Springs.  Huge, vaporous glow and trail streaking across the sky.  It was a Falcon 9 rocket.  Almost swore off drinking.  

If ever near Balboa Park in San Diego...check out the Mothership Bar. SDM - First Look - Mothership-201.jpg

Of all posts this is the best in history, worst in history, or somewhere in between.

10 hours ago, Feathery said:

Bc IU NIL is large enough

Maybe. Seems like at least the Cook portion of it is tied to Woody and Buckner. So what happens if they're gone next year? Or is it a one time thing regardless?  Nobody really knows.  Only that they've invested heavily in Woodson for another year.  

This isn't the pros where you have reoccurring revenue.  It's essentially time money every year.  

11 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Everybody assumes they are realistic.  It's kind of meaningless to say that.  Posting about who IU gets in the portal and saying they would be on the bench 'back in the day' is 100% MO because it literally has nothing to do with the current team and current college game.

Or I could be expressing that I think these players are being overhyped with regard to their ability to suddenly change the continual mediocre path (at best) of this program versus where we all want it to be or where it has been. But hey if you think every non-sunshine pumper has some nefarious "MO", cool.

2 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Maybe. Seems like at least the Cook portion of it is tied to Woody and Buckner. So what happens if they're gone next year? Or is it a one time thing regardless?  Nobody really knows.  Only that they've invested heavily in Woodson for another year.  

This isn't the pros where you have reoccurring revenue.  It's entirely one time money every year.  

Revenue share will be here within 5 years I’d guess. That’s the reoccurring. But let’s be honest, the Cooks are worth $6 billion. Even a modest return on say half that would be $300 million a year. Donating $5-6 mil a year is very easily done. That goes for any of the billionaire donors. 

I know Michigan has looked to set up a fund for NIL. Where they get big donations and then pay the players through the returns on the investments and never touching the principle. They haven’t done it yet but there has been talk of it. I think lack of clarity on revenue sharing and what NIL looks like after is holding it up.