Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

55 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

1) I’m talking about now, not 10-15 years ago.

2) I’m a “front of the jersey” guy; Calipari is a “back of the jersey” coach.

3) If you’re asking who I would prefer starting now and going forward? My first choice would be a May, Shrewsbury, Bucky McMillan type.

Woody is not my favorite choice going forward, but he’s an alumni brother and a good guy. Prefer him to the Caliparis of the sport.

My only problem with this is that he seems to be depending largely on "back of the jersey" guys. While it may be true that not all the guys in the portal looking for a large payday are "back of the jersey" guys, it would seem a large percentage are.

43 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Not every thread needs to have sarcastic Woody comments in them because many dislike him.   Been a lot of this drifting into both of the portal threads.  Please keep your comments to players in the portal and your sarcasm in the Fire Coach Woodson thread.  Most appreciated.

No.

33 minutes ago, bigrod said:

My only problem with this is that he seems to be depending largely on "back of the jersey" guys. While it may be true that not all the guys in the portal looking for a large payday are "back of the jersey" guys, it would seem a large percentage are.

Exactly this. Woodson is taking the Calipari approach to recruiting that so many people hated. All we really have to offer players is money, so we’re going to attract players whose biggest priority is money. A ‘front of the jersey’ program we are not. Guys aren’t coming to play for Indiana. They’re coming to play for a check. Which, whatever I guess. That’s how college basketball largely is now. 

2 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It could be noted that Wade's regular season success hasn't translated to the postseason.  He's coaching in 5 NCAA tournaments and went 2-5 and never advanced beyond the round of 32.  The year he was at LSU and his team made the sweet sixteen when Wade was there, Wade did not coach the team in the tournament because he was suspended....so the only real tournament success his teams have had were when he wasn't on the sidleline.

Small sample space, but people didn't want Dusty May here despite him being to a final four and Wade has never made the sweet sixteen.

I don’t value the NCAA tournament as high as regular season success. Love the tournament but it’s a crap shoot. Regular season success is more indicative of quality coaching to me. Plus regular season success should set you up for more chances at deep runs. Hell it took Painter like 20 years, but he was an undeniable quality coach. 

21 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I don’t value the NCAA tournament as high as regular season success. Love the tournament but it’s a crap shoot. Regular season success is more indicative of quality coaching to me. Plus regular season success should set you up for more chances at deep runs. Hell it took Painter like 20 years, but he was an undeniable quality coach. 

Agree. I want consistent regular season success. I could care less about the tournament.

Inside The Hall updated its portal transfer list of IU interest and broke it down into 2 tiers.  And if your scrolling through the list at a fast pace it's easy to miss the break point which is between Tony Perkins and Adou Thiero

https://www.insidethehall.com/2024/04/06/indiana-basketball-transfer-portal-watch-list-april-6-2024/?fbclid=IwAR0YmvBhUlae8KXGzbHHknAlvz2PG7EeONMEtcE00xFVunEdXIlBG4cevK8_aem_AUw4unhKg3YhrKVixh0moJ_i1QMlq7NCtJVcO3LrrFXhs1K30I0JNk5fE_JFG_3wOn55CqjtsOT8S8k5i00y02bH

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Inside The Hall updated its portal transfer list of IU interest and broke it down into 2 tiers.  And if your scrolling through the list at a fast pace it's easy to miss the break point which is between Tony Perkins and Adou Thiero

https://www.insidethehall.com/2024/04/06/indiana-basketball-transfer-portal-watch-list-april-6-2024/?fbclid=IwAR0YmvBhUlae8KXGzbHHknAlvz2PG7EeONMEtcE00xFVunEdXIlBG4cevK8_aem_AUw4unhKg3YhrKVixh0moJ_i1QMlq7NCtJVcO3LrrFXhs1K30I0JNk5fE_JFG_3wOn55CqjtsOT8S8k5i00y02bH

Surprised that Koren Johnson was is tier 2 considering he had IU on his final 5 or so.  Might be his interest in IU isn’t as high as IU’s in him.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Surprised that Koren Johnson was is tier 2 considering he had IU on his final 5 or so.  Might be his interest in IU isn’t as high as IU’s in him.

Just as coaches play the game of getting linked to a new job to get a raise/extension, you do have to wonder how many times a school is being named in a Top"X" purely as a decoy to the other suitors.

37 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just as coaches play the game of getting linked to a new job to get a raise/extension, you do have to wonder how many times a school is being named in a Top"X" purely as a decoy to the other suitors.

Especially with the pot of $$ IU has to offer, a guy could certainly use “IU interest “ as a form of leverage.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Javon Small being tier 2 is something.   I mean I know they love Carlyle and Rice but geez.  If you can get Small you get him.  Better shooter than both the guys we are targeting first. 

we aren’t gonna fill all 6 are we?  

I’d like to think they could bring in 3 guards like Hickman, Carlyle and Rice (or someone like Small as 1of the 3). And perhaps Humrichous (sp?) as the 6th guy, if my arithmetic is right with Tucker added.

Bringing in guys like Hickman and Humrichous could go a good ways towards fixing the shooting problems.

In theory, anyway. Whether it would actually fix those problems on the court or not would depend on more than just the players involved, at least imho it would.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Javon Small being tier 2 is something.   I mean I know they love Carlyle and Rice but geez.  If you can get Small you get him.  Better shooter than both the guys we are targeting first. 

we aren’t gonna fill all 6 are we?  

Isn't this just an arbitrary tier system based on opinion? We have no idea if Small is truly interested. Seems like tier ones are players that are visiting.