Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

13 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

12-15mpg seems realistic since Ballo has averaged under 27mpg the last 2 seasons. Of course, I'm assuming Reneau will not play meaningful mins at the 5. Could be wrong on both accounts. 

Ware went from 6 minutes at Oregon to 32 at IU. Who knows how many minutes Ballo gets but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at 28-30 with MR getting 10-12 at the five.

If the Ballo-MR split was 28-12 at the five, and MR averages 30 a game, it would mean MR and Ballo would only be on the floor together for 18 minutes which I would like to see. 

EDIT/Correction: Ware played 16 minutes and scored 6 a game at Oregon. At IU Ware was at 32 minutes and 16 points per game.  It still illustrates that a players minutes can change quite a bit at the new school.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Bingo. And 29 mins (against NE) came out of absolute necessity because Ware was sick. 

12 of them came against Northern Alabama... we won by 17

14 against UL-- he played well in that game 

14 against Kennesaw State-- Ware sat that game, too 

11 mins against Purdue when the other bigs were in foul trouble.... 

That accounts for 80 of his 176 mins played on the season... in the other games, that he played in...

Other than those 5 games--- he played in 19 games and in those games--- he avged 5 mins per game plus 9 DNPs. Yes, he basically never played. 

Even Banks played 26% more minutes than Sparks and I can barely visualize Banks playing at all this year.

16 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Ware went from 6 minutes at Oregon to 32 at IU. Who knows how many minutes Ballo gets but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at 28-30 with MR getting 10-12 at the five.

If the Ballo-MR split was 28-12 at the five, and MR averages 30 a game, it would mean MR and Ballo would only be on the floor together for 18 minutes which I would like to see. 

This seems like the most realistic route. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

yeah... I see in no way we are selling 10-15mpg. Sparks wasn't close to that. 

I can't either. I actually hope we aren't. This whole backup big thing was more important last year b/c we didn't have the guards to play smaller. We have solid guard depth next season and I think a lot of us will be disappointed if we're not playing more guard heavy lineups instead of having a backup big log 10-15 minutes. And in that scenario I don't know how you sell any player above the "serviceable" level on that role.

40 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Sparks could have gotten more time he just was not able to compete 

I think this is probably right -- I say probably because Woodson has had a tendency to continue to play his starters heavy minutes even when they (whoever) are playing badly. Not trying to turn this into another b**** fest on Woodson, just saying I'm only partially convinced a better player would've played more given Woodson's tendencies -- hoping to see better balance / use of the bench this season, we certainly have a better looking bench so far, and yes, do think we need to add a backup big from portal 

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

Ware played 16 mpg at Oregon.

How many minutes are we allotting to Langdon Hatton?

The 100% accurate answer: "It depends."

• depends on how well Hatton plays.
  • depends on how well Malik Reneau can handle the 5 when Ballo is off the court
  • depends on whether pairing Hatton with either Ballo or Reneau is at times effective.

Sparks played 177 minutes all season which was the least of any scholarship player on the team and that is somehow considered “playing him no matter what the on-court failures are telling you” ????
I think the opposite happened. The former MAC freshman of the year, and second team all-MAC player, barely played because his on-court failures were indeed recognized.

My point was he was a obvious net negative for Indiana pretty much anytime he touched the floor. He averaged 7.33 minutes per game and clearly wasn’t ready for B1G play and particularly Woodson’s use of him. On any decent team he should have been DNP after about 5 non-cons of seeing action. He continued to play. We could have done more Mgbako at the 4. But hockey subs returned and lasted a large part of noncon. It was a terrible roster last year and we learned we didn’t have many options. So it was, what it was and he still played. Cupps should have been about 6 mins a game and Sparks should have been DNP.

On paper Sparks is better than Hatton. On video highlights Ball State Sparks, vs Bellarmine Hatton, I probably lean Sparks. Expecting Hatton to be some playable option for us is a pipedream. I fully understand bench isn’t going to be starter quality. But Sparks played when he shouldn’t have and so will Hatton.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

19 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My point was he was a obvious net negative for Indiana pretty much anytime he touched the floor. He averaged 7.33 minutes per game and clearly wasn’t ready for B1G play and particularly Woodson’s use of him. On any decent team he should have been DNP after about 5 non-cons of seeing action. He continued to play. We could have done more Mgbako at the 4. But hockey subs returned and lasted a large part of noncon. It was a terrible roster last year and we learned we didn’t have many options. So it was, what it was and he still played. Cupps should have been about 6 mins a game and Sparks should have been DNP.

On paper Sparks is better than Hatton. On video highlights Ball State Sparks, vs Bellarmine Hatton, I probably lean Sparks. Expecting Hatton to be some playable option for us is a pipedream. I fully understand bench isn’t going to be starter quality. But Sparks played when he shouldn’t have and so will Hatton.

He had 9 DNPs, 9 DNPs in conference games alone. 

If you take out UW (which again, Ware was out)--- he played 3MPG in conference games. 68 mins (counting the mins in the conference tourney games) in 22 games. He did not avged 7 mins per game. 

There are so many holes in this conversation/debate it's hard to pin down the issue. Hatton would be playing with a measurably better supporting cast, as well. 

5 hours ago, J34 said:

We'll end up getting a serviceable 10-15 mpg big(or 2), who HAS to be as good or better than Durr, Sparks, or even LD. The jury's still out on how well they are coached up(another thread), but I have to admit, what's transpired this offseason, is impressive. 

We already have a serviceable (actually more than serviceable) backup 5 on the roster who can play 10-15 mpg. His name is Malik Reneau. Yes we need another big as an insurance policy (that's where someone like Hatton comes into play) in case someone like Ballo (or Reneau) gets hurt, but the reality is that Ballo and Reneau are going to commandeer the majority of the minutes at the 5 spot with the way the roster is set up.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

We all understand your opinion of Hatton.  A lot of us — including myself — disagree with it.

saying that Hatton couldn’t be a ‘playable backup option’ to me doesn’t gel with what he can do.  And it doesn’t match up with others who are rating players in the portal think either.  On3 has him as the 4th best remaining center in the portal and the 28th best overall center in the portal including those that have already committed.

Just now, hohohoosiers311 said:

Some of it might stem from Hatton “fatigue” especially those from southern Indiana.  Langdon’s father is still the all-time leading scorer at Clarksville, and his sister scored over 2000 points at North Harrison and was runner-up for Miss Basketball.  This is a basketball FAMILY.  

Whats stemmed from this? 

4 hours ago, AH1971 said:

We already have a serviceable (actually more than serviceable) backup 5 on the roster who can play 10-15 mpg. His name is Malik Reneau. Yes we need another big as an insurance policy (that's where someone like Hatton comes into play) in case someone like Ballo (or Reneau) gets hurt, but the reality is that Ballo and Reneau are going to commandeer the majority of the minutes at the 5 spot with the way the roster is set up.

Couldn't agree more! So many combinations  to mix and match, with either Ballo or Reneau at the 5. One thing people forget about was Malik was double/triple teamed a high percentage. The scouting report was IU has no shooters,  and MR can't/won't pass out of double team. We believe we've answered the shooting problem,  now it's up to Malik to hold up his end. If he does, he'll reap the rewards. He can score the basketball against damn near anyone down low 1v1.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:27 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trying to keep updated - portal players reportedly contacted by IU.  Number in ( ) indicates years of eligibility remaining.

1. Myles Rice (PG) - Washington State (3)                                 IU visit April 12           COMMITTED
  2. Oumar Ballo (C) - Arizona (1)                                                  IU visit April 14-16      COMMITTED
  3. Kanaan Carlyle (G) - Stanford  (3)                                          IU visit April 19            COMMITTED
  4. Luke Goode (W) - Illinois (1)                                                    IU visit April 26            COMMITTED

1. Deyton Albury (G) - Queen's University of Charlotte (2)
  2. Keyshawn Hall (F) - George Mason (2)
  3. Nikita Konstantynovskyi (F)  - Monmouth (1)
  4. Langdon Hatton (C) - Bellarmine (1)
  5. Issa Muhamad - UT Martin (1) 

OFF THE BOARD

1. Ja’Kobi Gillespie (G)- Belmont  (2) to Maryland\
  2. Marcus Foster  (G) - Furman  (1) to Xavier
  3. Michael Ajayi  (G) - Pepperdine  (1) to Gonzag
  4. Dishon Jackson (C) - Charlotte (2) to Iowa State
  5. Tre Dinkins (G) -Canisius  (1)       [Jared Kelly reports we have not been in contact with Dinkins]
  6. Jordan Sears (G) - UT Martin (2) to LSU
  7. Zeke Mayo (G) - South Dakota St (1) to Kansas
  8. Skyy Clark (G) - Louisville (2) to UCLA   
  9. Brandon Huntley-Hatfield  (F) - Louisville (1) to NC State     
  10. Frankie Fidler (F) - Omaha  (1) to Michigan State   
  11. Marques Warrick (G) - Northern Kentucky (1) to Missouri
  12. Clark Slajchert (G) - Penn  (1) to USC 
  13. Koren Johnson (G) - Washington (2) to Louisville
  14. Dakota Leffew (G) - Mount St. Mary's  (1) to Georgia
  15. Tony Perkins (G) - Iowa (1) to Missouri
  16. Aaron Bradshaw (C) - Kentucky (3) to O$U
  17. Malik Dia (F) - Belmont (2) to Ole Miss
  18. Gibson Jimerson (G) - St. Louis (1) returned to St. Louis
  19. Darlinstone Dubar (F) -  Hofstra (1) to Tennessee
  20. Connor Hickman (G) - Bradley (1) to Cincinnati
  21. Amari Williams (F) - Drexel  (1) to Kentucky                             IU visit April 19       CANCELED
  22. Ryan Conwell (SG) - Indiana State  (2) to Xavier
  23. Connor Essegian (G) - Wisconsin (2) to Nebraska                   IU visit April 17
  24. Danny Wolf (C) - Yale (2) to Michigan
  25. Koby Brea (CG) - Dayton (1)        [Not in final 5]
  26. Pharrel Payne (F) - Minnesota (2) to Texas A&M                      IU visit April 12-14 
  27. Leland Walker (PG) - Eastern Kentucky  (2) to FAU                   IU visit April 22
  28. Ben Humrichous (F) - Evansville (1) to Illinois
  29. Otega Oweh (G) - Oklahoma (2) to Kentucky
  30. Jalen Blackmon (G) - Stetson (1) to Miami
  31. Cade Tyson (G) - Belmont (2) to North Carolina
  32. Elijah Malone (C) - Grace (1) to Colorado                                  IU visit April 18
  33. Johnell Davis (W/G) - FAU (1) to Arkansas
  34. Javon Small (G) - Oklahoma State (1) to West Virginia
  35. Zach Anderson (W) - Florida Gulf Coast (1) to George Mason                       IU visit April 21
  36. Adou Thiero (PF) - Kentucky (2) to Arkansas
  37. Sean Stewart (F) - Duke to Ohio State
  38. Davante "Devo" Davis (G) -  Arkansas (1) to Oklahoma State
  39. Alex Hemenway (SG) - Clemson (1) to Vanderbilt
  40. Jaden Schutt (SG) - Duke (2) to Virginia Tech

Bumping