Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

15 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

If MW only plays 8 instead of 10, I think we stay with 11 or 12, no need to get 13.  But we all know MW wants to play 10, and I think he finally has the depth for that, but he does need a backup big if he’s dead set on playing 10

In regards to Woody wanting to play 10. Gunn didn’t play all that much (373 minutes) yet had the 8th most minutes on the team (ie, I don’t see a big push by Woody to give 10 guys meaningful minutes)

I looked at most of the Elite 8 teams and Gunns minutes would have also ranked 8th on most of them ( ie Woodys distribution of minutes is rather “typical”).

I agree with you in regards to not being hung up on getting a 13th guy as the 10,11,12 guys aren’t going to see much time anyway. Sparks only had 177 minutes all year (11th) even though Ware missed multiple games.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

In regards to Woody wanting to play 10. Gunn didn’t play all that much (373 minutes) yet had the 8th most minutes on the team (ie, I don’t see a big push by Woody to give 10 guys meaningful minutes)

I looked at most of the Elite 8 teams and Gunns minutes would have also ranked 8th on most of them ( ie Woodys distribution of minutes is rather “typical”).

I agree with you in regards to not being hung up on getting a 13th guy as the 10,11,12 guys aren’t going to see much time anyway. Sparks only had 177 minutes all year (11th) even though Ware missed multiple games.

accepted myths become reality

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

He always wants to play 10 at the beginning of the season. Mostly the nonconference games and cupcakes. Then as the season goes along, especially in conference he shortens the bench. 

Early in the season just trying to get a feel for who deserves minutes in conference play. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

He always wants to play 10 at the beginning of the season. Mostly the nonconference games and cupcakes. Then as the season goes along, especially in conference he shortens the bench. 

Early in the season just trying to get a feel for who deserves minutes in conference play. 

With all the portal additions and most of the returning players generally playing good minutes, it will be interesting to see to what extent he shortens the bench this season, I'd expect it to be less.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

This seems to be a reasonable approach. I felt like Crean used to keep starters in too long for early games and even blowouts. Assumed he was padding stats but wasn’t sure.  But early on play good opponents and play the depth players so that later in the year you know who to count on when making a run.  

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I’d guess that is pretty typical, and a good idea, for most coaches.  Good way to see how guys people considered to be 8-12th perform under the lights to help decide who to run with in the conference games.

That being said, I don’t think any of us liked it when Woody would give guys early season minutes using hockey line substitutions rather than seeing how a couple of backups would play with a few starters. He seemed to mix in subs a little bit better this past season.

12 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

I’d guess that is pretty typical, and a good idea, for most coaches.  Good way to see how guys people considered to be 8-12th perform under the lights to help decide who to run with in the conference games.

That being said, I don’t think any of us liked it when Woody would give guys early season minutes using hockey line substitutions rather than seeing how a couple of backups would play with a few starters. He seemed to mix in subs a little bit better this past season.

Also, too much experimenting hurts if you don’t win by enough even early in the year.

Two more bigs off the board — Koba Keita stays in state and goes from Utah to BYU while Ryan Mutombo goes from Georgetown to Georgia Tech.

would like IU to lock up Hatton before choices getting really, really slim.  FWIW, one suitor — Louisville — is hosting the #31 overall player (who is a power forward) in the 24 class after he devommitted.

1 hour ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I have lived in Illinois my entire life. I became a Hoosier fan at 9 years old watching May, Buckner, Benson, and Company on Terre Haute. They won the NC 2 years later which cemented my Fandom. I have only been to a handful of games. There is no way I'll ever be an Illinois fan and I only live an hour away.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

We must be close to the same age!  I started watching a little bit earlier than that.  I kind of watched McGinnis but my attention deficit syndrome always seemed to kick in at that age, but started to really watch them in 1974-1975 season, I was 11 years old.  

I respect the fact you became a fan at 9 and have never wavered since 

45 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Two more bigs off the board — Koba Keita stays in state and goes from Utah to BYU while Ryan Mutombo goes from Georgetown to Georgia Tech.

would like IU to lock up Hatton before choices getting really, really slim.  FWIW, one suitor — Louisville — is hosting the #31 overall player (who is a power forward) in the 24 class after he devommitted.

Do we even know if Hatton is making a trip to Btown?