Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

50 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

100%.

After seeing the top rated posts in the portal, we are moving forward on arguably the most game-ready choice. And we are moving forward on the player that understands and has connections to the university.

Absent something to the contrary, we are on our way to getting an outstanding piece to the on-court puzzle, who also is an outstanding student and a native Hoosier.

This. Is. Good.

Appreciate the support!!! 

3 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It's pretty bad when a very medium or less player from a bad Bellarmine team commands a bidding war.  I don't know what we should have done with the backup 5 spot but man the pickings are getting slim and we either strike out or overpay.  

I wish a foreign option was on the list or even a talented freshman from earlier in the signing class that would be willing to wait his turn.  (Purdue has about 4 of them).  

I agree!  Unless something changes, front court depth will be this team’s Achilles heel

3 hours ago, BtownStrength said:

I guess it depends on your definition of overpay. How much NIL do we have left in the pool? Fwiw I have no idea on that. We only have 2 slots left and backup 5 is, imo, our biggest need. So depending on how much we have left to spend, an overpay might be our best investment. 

Agree with you 100% that a freshman big to develop would have been perfect. But now that we know it's not happening, shifting to getting Moreno next year and giving him prime minutes seems solid. Doesn't help this year though. 

I think you sort of described basic economics, the price of demand!

2 hours ago, Demo said:

My Dad owned car dealerships and he used to say “There’s an a$$ for every seat.” Inelegant but true. And Hatton just feels like a very snug fit for this particular seat. 

Was your dad in the movie Breaking Away?

:)

4 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It's pretty bad when a very medium or less player from a bad Bellarmine team commands a bidding war.  I don't know what we should have done with the backup 5 spot but man the pickings are getting slim and we either strike out or overpay.  

I wish a foreign option was on the list or even a talented freshman from earlier in the signing class that would be willing to wait his turn.  (Purdue has about 4 of them).  

Hes not commanding a bidding war,  just sayin’. Rabby has said it’s literally just trying to find time in his schedule to get him on campus. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Hes not commanding a bidding war,  just sayin’. Rabby has said it’s literally just trying to find time in his schedule to get him on campus. 

I’m not saying HE is. I am saying the circumstances of limited supply and hella demand is creating the opportunity for a mid level player to be wanted WAY more than they’re worth.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I’m not saying HE is. I am saying the circumstances of limited supply and hella demand is creating the opportunity for a mid level player to be wanted WAY more than they’re worth.  

Get where you’re coming from, but end of the day you’re worth what the market says you’re worth.

1 minute ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Get where you’re coming from, but end of the day you’re worth what the market says you’re worth.

Yep, the individual is and great for them. But the team in need is not in a good place relative to the demand.  People/fans love him. He’s overrated but we need backup size from somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

The market in this case is an unstable, growing one due to how much NIL has grown in the past three years.  It’s much easier to predict value in a more stable market.  

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yep, the individual is and great for them. But the team in need is not in a good place relative to the demand.  People/fans love him. He’s overrated but we need backup size from somewhere. 

Imo NIL is out of control w/o regulation. It’s the Wild West right now. That’ll benefit the individual players, and the programs with money to burn, but it’s bad for the overall college game as is

Just now, RaceToTheTop said:

The market in this case is an unstable, growing one due to how much NIL has grown in the past three years.  It’s much easier to predict value in a more stable market.  

Yeah while you were replying to me I was posting immediately above. NIL is out of control 

I am also saying we are one Ballo injury away from a very limited ceiling as a team. People that think sliding Reneau to the 5 is best isn’t the fix they think.  Doesn’t rebound well.  Doesn’t rim protect well.  Give me an athletic freak that can’t dribble as a backup five. Then run him with 4 guards. New guy is gonna get eaten alive by the athelticism/size of Power 5. 

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

‘Overrated’ based on what, though?  Put money aside and he’s a fit for what we are looking for IMO — a backup 4/5 with experience.  

we don’t actually even know what kind of NIL deal he commands at this point…it’s all speculation.

4 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Imo NIL is out of control w/o regulation. It’s the Wild West right now. That’ll benefit the individual players, and the programs with money to burn, but it’s bad for the overall college game as is

But it also hurts other individual players and REALLY hurts high school recruits.  There are winners and losers here outside of the money aspect.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

I am also saying we are one Ballo injury away from a very limited ceiling as a team. People that think sliding Reneau to the 5 is best isn’t the fix they think.  Doesn’t rebound well.  Doesn’t rim protect well.  Give me an athletic freak that can’t dribble as a backup five. Then run him with 4 guards. New guy is gonna get eaten alive by the athelticism/size of Power 5. 

And I’ll take skilled guys as a backup over athletic ones without skills.  I’ve seen enough Hanner Peres’s in my lifetime.