Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

4 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I’d like to see how we would perform with some minutes with MR at the 5, MM at the 4 with some combo of Tucker and guards.  

Our best lineup would include Ballo at the C. I would take what you said above but with Oumar at the C. Reneau off bench.

11 hours ago, Unexpectedflash said:

Probably a hot take but I wouldn’t be heartbroken over that if they went out and got a 3 and D wing

I get that...would love Malik on this team as the #2-3 option on offense, not #1. He's a very good player but he's not dynamic or explosive enough like TJD to be the #1 option.

1 hour ago, Hoosier987 said:

Our best lineup would include Ballo at the C. I would take what you said above but with Oumar at the C. Reneau off bench.

Agreed. Ballo will likely only play 25-28 minutes a game as well, which leaves 12-15 minutes open at the 5 and I’d REALLY prefer Reneau be the one taking those minutes versus any random backup big we could get from the portal.

Reneau spending 12-15 minutes at the 5, and another 10-15 minutes at the 4 to spell Mgbako, would be ideal IMO.

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Reneau.is.not.coming.off.the.bench.

I don’t think they were talking starting lineup. But Malik will see plenty of bench time, especially if he doesn’t clean up the fouling. 

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

I get that...would love Malik on this team as the #2-3 option on offense, not #1. He's a very good player but he's not dynamic or explosive enough like TJD to be the #1 option.

Yep. This is also why I'm confused by people who claim that he could be one of the "outs" in a 4 out 1 in system. Malik isn't going to excel as a player facing the basket. He's not a great athlete. Can't slash and shoots basically a set shot. 

He's a classic back to the basket player. And he's a tweener. He's a good, crafty player, but he definitely has some limitations and I think he's pretty close to his ceiling at this point. 

20 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

He's definitely not. Nor should he. What I think is plausible and would be my preference would be something like the following hypothetical:

-Malik Reneau is not in constant foul trouble and plays roughly 30 minutes per game. Oumar Ballo plays roughly 28 minutes per game (I think we likely play a bit slower than Arizona and Ballo could handle a bit more than 25 minutes per game if the pace is slightly slower). Reneau plays around 20 minutes with Ballo out there and roughly ten minutes with Ballo on the bench. During those ten minutes, he partners with TJ Power or Ben Humrichous plus a lineup of like: Rice/Carlyle/Galloway or Rice/Galloway/Tucker or Rice/Carlyle/Mgbako plus Power/Humrichous and then Malik at the "5". Ballo plays roughly eight minutes per game with those same lineups. That would give Power/Humrichous something like 15-20 minutes per game. 

I think that would be preferable to just locking into a rigid standard of Malik playing 30 minutes and paired with a "center" (ala what we did with Sparks). It certainly appears to me that Ballo will be the only big guy we have that is just incapable of at least making a three-pointer. Elijah Malone shoots it at about 38%, Power and Humrichous can shoot it, etc. 

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Nope it's not happening but I do think that would be the best scenario. I also think he, much like Gallo, could affect the game just as much coming off the bench if not more.

1 hour ago, Adillac said:

Why does he have to be dynamic and explosive to run offense through? He isn't nearly as much as TJD, you're right. I think he's more skilled and a better passer than TJD was at this same point, though. 

As sophomores

Malik shot 7.5% better on 2pt shots as a SO than TJD did... 

Malik avged double the amount of assts than TJD. 

Malik's eFG% was 6.3% higher than TJD... 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

Yeah but still far too much fouling. 

And that was one of the first things Malik brought up, 20 mins after his season ended, and they had mics stuck in his face. 

Just now, Silat Player said:

Yep. This is also why I'm confused by people who claim that he could be part of a 4 out 1 in system. Malik isn't going to excel as a player facing the basket. He's not a great athlete. Can't slash and shoots basically a set shot. 

He's a classic back to the basket player. And he's a tweener. He's a good, crafty player, but he definitely has some limitations and I think he's pretty close to his ceiling at this point. 

100% agreed...the idea that he's going to develop an off the dribble game is a little far fetched. Every time he is in an open court situation or facing up on someone, I know there's a decent chance he either travels, gets the ball stolen or somehow loses the ball. Like you said, he is crafty as heck when he's 1 on 1 back to the basket searching for a bucket. He's one of the best out there at that actually...but it becomes a bit of a blackhole for efficiency and very easy to defend. Now, maybe with some better guards out there we can make it less attractive to just double the post. 

If this team needs Malik to be option #1 or #2 then that probably means our ceiling isn't that high as a ballclub. Hoping Rice and MM are the offensive engine for this team.

With the talent we have we ought to have 4-5 guys avg double figures: Rice, MM, Malik, Ballo, Gallo all are capable of avg 10-12ppg imo.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Why does he have to be dynamic and explosive to run offense through? He isn't nearly as much as TJD, you're right. I think he's more skilled and a better passer than TJD was at this same point, though. 

As sophomores

Malik shot 7.5% better on 2pt shots as a SO than TJD did... 

Malik avged double the amount of assts than TJD. 

Malik's eFG% was 6.3% higher than TJD... 

And that was one of the first things Malik brought up, 20 mins after his season ended, and they had mics stuck in his face. 

I don't think he has to be as explosive as TJD to run offense through, but to be option #1 he is lacking in ball-handling and athleticism imo.

Just now, Adillac said:

I don't think he has to be as explosive as TJD to run offense through, but to be option #1 he is lacking in ball-handling and athleticism imo.

I don't think he lacks in ball-handling at all. That's ok, though. We can disagree. 

I have zero issues with Malik's offensive game, other than his decision-making, at times. Buuuut-- even that "issue", I want to see him with better talent around him, and see if that improves. 

He could use someone telling him to "quit F'ing whining" though, I can understand all of you being annoyed by that. 

8 minutes ago, Adillac said:

100% agreed...the idea that he's going to develop an off the dribble game is a little far fetched. Every time he is in an open court situation or facing up on someone, I know there's a decent chance he either travels, gets the ball stolen or somehow loses the ball. Like you said, he is crafty as heck when he's 1 on 1 back to the basket searching for a bucket. He's one of the best out there at that actually...but it becomes a bit of a blackhole for efficiency and very easy to defend. Now, maybe with some better guards out there we can make it less attractive to just double the post. 

If this team needs Malik to be option #1 or #2 then that probably means our ceiling isn't that high as a ballclub. Hoping Rice and MM are the offensive engine for this team.

With the talent we have we ought to have 4-5 guys avg double figures: Rice, MM, Malik, Ballo, Gallo all are capable of avg 10-12ppg imo.  

you didn't even mention Carlyle 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he lacks in ball-handling at all. That's ok, though. We can disagree. 

I have zero issues with Malik's offensive game, other than his decision-making, at times. Buuuut-- even that "issue", I want to see him with better talent around him, and see if that improves. 

He could use someone telling him to "quit F'ing whining" though, I can understand all of you being annoyed by that. 

I was a little down on Rice at first but after educating myself about his game and watching him....he really could change the way our team looks on offense and Malik would probably benefit from that too. 

53 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

We.weren't.talking.about.starting.lineup.

if we're talking about playing 4 out and 1 in, our best lineup would have MR on the bench and Ballo at the C.