Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

5 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

WTF you talking about?  You don't know what shotmaking is vs scoring.  Whatever.

His stats speak for themselves.  He's light on the 3 point %, period.  Maybe he makes that "jump."  Or gets over the hump.  

He wasn’t a great 3 point shooter by %, that’s been discussed ad nauseam. He could still shoot off the bounce, pull up in PnR, and get to the hole and finish. He shot over 80% from the line. Those are all shot making qualities. IU has had one shot making guard in 3 years whose first year stats rival Rice.

38 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

A cryptic tweet - two guards? Rice and Kanaan? Rice and Hickman? Kanaan and Hickman? My bet is he’s insinuating Rice and Hickman with Hick visiting today. 

we shall see!

IMG_5045.png

Is Howard still on staff? Thought I read somewhere that he was heading to Ann Arbor to work for Dusty May.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

College sports as they currently exist are bastardized versions of professional sports. They’re professional sports without salary caps and without contracts. Players can come and go as they please, playing for whoever they want in a given season. It’s a terrible setup and needs to be corralled big time. 

Sounds like the workplace to me. 

only way to solve this is to make them employees and have collective bargaining with the players union, which needs to form. Then they will have revenue share from the tv contracts. This has been discussed as a reason for conference expansion for awhile. The schools know they will have to share revenue eventually and are getting front of it so when they do share they will still have the 50-60 mil per school they had before. Going to be a few years yet but it will get sorted. 

16 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I wasn’t aware there was an alternate way of scoring without making shots. When did this new concept come into play?

Drivers/slashers/free throws are very different than 3 point shooting. The later is what we have been missing 

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

He wasn’t a great 3 point shooter by %, that’s been discussed ad nauseam. He could still shoot off the bounce, pull up in PnR, and get to the hole and finish. He shot over 80% from the line. Those are all shot making qualities. IU has had one shot making guard in 3 years whose first year stats rival Rice.

Who said they did?  

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Drivers/slashers/free throws are very different than 3 point shooting. The later is what we have been missing 

Guards who can score and create is what we’ve been missing lol. 

6 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Guards who can score and create is what we’ve been missing lol. 

Lol, X and Trey could score and create. They weren’t much of a threat from behind the arc. A combo of Reneau and Ballo under the basket is a death sentence if we don’t have knock down 3 point shooters

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Lol, X and Trey could score and create. They weren’t much of a threat from behind the arc. A combo of Reneau and Ballo under the basket is a death sentence if we don’t have knock down 3 point shooters

The $100 bet I extended to you yesterday is still on the table.

4 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

The $100 bet I extended to you yesterday is still on the table.

Fine, I didn’t reply to it because I don’t want to cheer against any IU player. 50+ made 3’s during regular season? Is that the bet?

Just now, MikeRoberts said:

Fine, I didn’t reply to it because I don’t want to cheer against any IU player. 50+ made 3’s during regular season? Is that the bet?

Yessir

1 minute ago, Magisterium said:

Evidently so.

Yeah, glad we kept him.  He’s got great connections already in place. He switched his X profile pic when Dusty announced UM that led to the speculation.   It did seem odd but all signs point to good things for IU currently and going forward. 

43 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Putting a cap in place would just revert back to teams that will/have aggressively cheated in the past to find ways around the new ‘rule’  - and pay over it, under the table. Not sure about your faith in the NCAA’s ability to enforce rules equitably, but mine is less than zero! The wild west is liberating to programs like IU…who have major fan bases and financial supporters—but didn’t have admins willing to do things under the table like most of the elite teams over the past 30 yrs. Wild West (free market) has at least provided us with an opportunity to swim in the same pool with some recruits, and maybe even be competitive. FYI .. it was never the drop ceilings! 

I get that free market ruins the purity of the game, wrecks continuity, potentially crushes mid-major long term competitiveness…but this is big business now, not idealistic amateurism. That still exists…just in non-revenue college sports!

Oh I understand where you’re coming from, but disagree. Just because some programs will cheat doesn’t mean you do away with rules.
Your main concern is already addressed— we have high NIL dollars that allows for us to compete at the top of the food chain in the portal. That doesn’t go away by putting a cap in place. Some will always cheat, break rules, but that’s the small minority and you don’t just do away with rules. What you do is develop a better enforcement mechanism.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Payne for $600k instead?

What’s the money matter to us fans? It’s the donors (Simons and Cooks) that need to worry about it. They are billionaires so this amount of money means very little to them. Drop $5M on him, I couldn’t care less, not my money lol.