Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I agree with that but Conwell has to be next. We need a shooter bad. But I wouldn’t be surprised if the Stanford kid is next. I don’t care what big man we get. I only like the Evansville kid 

I agree, Conwell is at the top of my wish list.  As much as I want to stock top tier talent, that’s hard to do in this NIL world.  Kids want to go somewhere where they can start and play big minutes and that’s completely reasonable.  So the staff has to prioritize who they go after.

MM and MR have starting spots locked down and if the Rice rumors are true he has a spot locked down.  Gallo is going to play heavy minutes whether he starts are not.  Tucker is going to play.  The puzzle board starts shrinking.  Nothing Woodson has shown or said suggests he won’t get someone like Ballo/Williams.  As much as I would love to have Rice, Carlyle, Conwell, Hickman, and Humrichous it’s just not realistic.    But yes, Conwell should be first priority.

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would run naked through campus with excitement with that lineup. As I tell my wife don’t worry no one is going to see anything. 

No I’m all seriousness that’s a home run for the portal.

I think your nakedness is probably going to be safe....I can't see IU adding three guards of that caliber from the portal.  In terms of playing time, trying to work those three + Galloway and adding Tucker, it wouldn't seem to be that the minutes would be there, especially since we can assume MM will be playing mostly the 3.  

Rice is looking good, so to me it looks like the second added guard could be Hickman or Carlyle.  If we added both, I'll join your naked mile through campus but I think the fine folks of Bloomington can be marked safe from that trauma.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

These are the posts I love because #1:  I don't know the answer and #2:  it allows me to try to geek the math and see if there is an answer.

Haven't put the numbers in (about to do so), but my gut says that the past season there was very little difference.  I also think if the difference was minor, you still can expect his numbers to improve next season because of the jump from being a freshman to a sophomore.

Now to run the numbers....

Ken Pom defensive ranks

Big Ten   Pac 12  
Rutgers 5 Arizona 10
Michigan St 9 Washington St 26
Purdue 12 Utah 47
Maryland 14 Colorado 49
Nebraska 43 UCLA 50
Wisconsin 46 Arizona State 64
Northwestern 54 Oregon 70
Ohio St 63 USC 78
Illinois 80 Washington 100
Penn St 81 Stanford 128
Indiana 105 California 139
Minnesota 115 Oregon St 170
Iowa 157 AVERAGE 78
Michigan 182    
AVERAGE 69    

So on average, the Big Ten did rank higher in defensive efficiency that the Pac 12 -- but the difference was not that large (average of 69th in the Big Ten, average of 78 in Pac 12).  

Conversely, what might actually be a concern for numbers have a considerable drop should they come to IU would be transfers from the Missouri Valley Conference:

MVC
Bradley 62
Drake 73
Missouri St 110
Indiana State 114
Northern Iowa 125
Belmont 130
UIC 135
Illinois St 142
S Illinois 145
Evansville 174
Murray St 188
Valparaiso 276
AVERAGE 140

Was interested to see that Indiana State ranked so low.....but having the 13th ranked offense made up for that.

This so cool. My son loves math and is trying to specialize in sports analytics at IU 

4 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I agree, Conwell is at the top of my wish list.  As much as I want to stock top tier talent, that’s hard to do in this NIL world.  Kids want to go somewhere where they can start and play big minutes and that’s completely reasonable.  So the staff has to prioritize who they go after.

MM and MR have starting spots locked down and if the Rice rumors are true he has a spot locked down.  Gallo is going to play heavy minutes whether he starts are not.  Tucker is going to play.  The puzzle board starts shrinking.  Nothing Woodson has shown or said suggests he won’t get someone like Ballo/Williams.  As much as I would love to have Rice, Carlyle, Conwell, Hickman, and Humrichous it’s just not realistic.    But yes, Conwell should be first priority.

You seem to always use common sense with your posts, which is odd around here. Agreed the puzzle is getting smaller. 

8 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You seem to always use common sense with your posts, which is odd around here. Agreed the puzzle is getting smaller. 

Hopefully the puzzle with start to fill in the next 10 days .... luckily all this computer time is while it rains for days outside here in "the tropics" of Southern Indiana.

5 hours ago, realTomCrean said:

Shaping up like everyone in here going to have to eat crow about Woodson

I don’t know if you’ve seen the commercials, but hims.com has products that can help with this.

Good lord, a couple visits get announced (several of which, we are 1 of 5 set up) and you’re already penciling Woody in to the Hall of Fame. 

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think you, me and about 30 other people have already said that.

Chris saying Rice to indiana is done - I like that

1 hour ago, Trish said:

So what’s the big deal with this Rice kid? He’s shooting 28% from 3, (okay that’s Mike Woodson style I’ll give you that), he averages 3 turnovers a game, but puts up 15PPG in the worst power conference. 

He’s listed at 6’3”, that’s ideal. Can he defend? I’m too lazy to pull up Synergy. Indiana needs bodies I guess. 

I dug deeper into his 3 pt shooting….

Last 9 games including postseason he finished

2-28 from 3… 

now I’m not trying to say I don’t want him but that is Galloway end of the season 3 pointer stats.

6 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

2-28 from 3… 

now I’m not trying to say I don’t want him but that is Galloway end of the season 3 pointer stats.

I saw where he started the year fine but people wondered if he just did not have the energy down the stretch due to sitting out last year battling cancer.  Who knows.  I will take him and he will be a huge upgrade over both Cupps and X (and I like Cupps as a reserve).

5 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Trilly has put his prediction in for Rice to IU.

The guy on the his discord earlier said that Rice was a Hoosier, also said that IU is pulling all the stops to make Ballo not take any visits after ours.
Also said that the person Rice has been communicating with is Conwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruh Roh - Trilly have an speculation about Chris streaking across campus soon 

11 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

2-28 from 3… 

Yeah that's not good.

But free throw % indicates that he could get to low-mid 30's on high volume.

4 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I saw where he started the year fine but people wondered if he just did not have the energy down the stretch due to sitting out last year battling cancer.  Who knows.  I will take him and he will be a huge upgrade over both Cupps and X (and I like Cupps as a reserve).

That is what I wondered too. If the duration of the season caught to him. I mean it has to be super taxing on a player under normal circumstances. But to have to throw in recovering from cancer it very much could have impacted his shooting.

15 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

2-28 from 3… 

This sparked my interest. He basically went 7 straight games without a 3 pt make, 0-22, from mid-February through the PAC 12 tournament.

In the other 28 games he shot a modest 33% which is respectable for a first year player. He had 10 games in which he hit multiple 3p’s and had single games where he went; 6-8, 4-7, and 5-10 respectively.

For comparison, only Mgbako had more multi-made 3P games than Rice (16).

His stroke looks fine and not someone I would consider a 3pt liability down the road.

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

This sparked my interest. He basically went 7 straight games without a 3 pt make, 0-22. 

In the other 28 games he shot a modest 33% which is respectable for a first year player. He had 10 games in which he hit multiple 3p’s and had single games where he went; 6-8, 4-7, and 5-10 respectively.

For comparison, only Mgbako had more multi-made 3P games than Rice (16).

His stroke looks fine and not someone I would consider a 3pt liability down the road.

I mean it very much could be fatigue.

11 minutes ago, cleeter said:

Trilly has put his prediction in for Rice to IU.

The guy on the his discord earlier said that Rice was a Hoosier, also said that IU is pulling all the stops to make Ballo not take any visits after ours.
Also said that the person Rice has been communicating with is Conwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When cleeter post I usually believe it. Just kidding but I’ve heard the same thing about Rice & Conwell. Haven’t heard anything about Ballo though.

5 minutes ago, cbp4iu said:

I mean it very much could be fatigue.

Very well could have been. I just don’t think raw % always tells the story. MM was absolutely dreadful shooting the first 3-4 weeks of the season, like sub 20%. He finished at 32% which again is respectable for a freshman. But he shot 38% for the B10 season on volume (5 attempts/game) which is elite for a freshman, yet somebody somewhere will see 32% and conclude MM isn’t a good 3 point shooter.